Andersen camping leveler - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Fit's fine on the tires, I have used them several times on the Escape wheels.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I like the simplistic way the Andersen levelers work. Unlike the ramp type, the wheels are not trying to roll off. The only issue I see with the Andersen levelers at all, and the fact you should use two with a tandem, is the amount of space they take up compared to a box of Lynx levelers (which I use now). I can usually get the trailer level with the Lynx blocks in one, or sometimes two tries.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #23

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
levelers

Jim and all, I just went out in the rain (thankfully we are getting some) and I'm not sure that either set will fit between the 15 inch wheels on the 21. My wife was enthused about something to help when we are in a less than level spot.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Well, just read the reviews and looked at the dimensions... scratch this one: Andersen Manufacturing 3620 Rapid Jack : Amazon.com : Automotive
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Well, concept and implementation do need to work together. And thanks for measuring and checking the ability to fit between the tandem tires Jack, I does seem like a no go. Still, would work good for a single axle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I travel solo and love the Anderson leveler. I use it with a Hopkins lighted level which I have a love/hate relationship. When I remember to turn off the level after using it, it is great. Watch for the flash of red while backing onto the Anderson leveler, and you are set. The problem with the level is the batteries are a pain to replace, cost more than the level, and easy to leave on. It also uses a foam backed adhesive that lets the alignment move.

All that said, the combination is good for solos.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Anderson levelers

I purchased two Anderson levelers prior to picking up my new 21. I tried them out during my orientation with Reace and found that they were too long to fit between the tires. Reace stated that supporting both axles was recommended, but he thought that the Anderson idea was a good one. He also wondered if it was possible to cut them down to size, thus making them usable with the 21. I checked with the Anderson distributor in our area. I asked if the leading area of the levelers were solid, and if cutting them would be recommended. He stated that they were solid for that very reason. I'm going to look at the video again and decide weather or not to try it.

One other plus for the Anderson levelers; with the very little drop of our torsion axles, using one Anderson leveler will lift the other axle high enough to change a tire. The flat tire doesn't clear the ground by much, but it does. The guys with leaf spring axles will have to purchase jacks that lifts their axles 7", which Anderson also sells.

Escape puts their side to side level on the rear of the 21. I'v never had the level on the rear, but I think I prefer that the level be on the front for ease of use. I purchased two LED levelers that were suggested by another person on this forum. They're very inexpensive, and cheap, but if they work they'll be used during the one man leveling process when using the Anderson levelers. I may not have to exit the truck except to place the Anderson levelers at the wheels and install the chalks. Here's hoping!!
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #28

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Going from a 17B to a 5.0 "Classic" I found the 5.0 a lot easier to level because of the independent front power jacks. Putting the front drivers side up will make the rear passenger side dip down and vice versa. We still have to use the odd piece of plywood under the wheels but all in all it's a lot simpler having the independent gear up front.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Donna, Rapid Jack and Andersen Leveler are not the same thing. While the principle is similar the construction is different. Size is not a problem as can be seen on our website. We love this device and it takes less room than the blocks because you don't have build the base.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #30
Site Team

Tim, I'm getting a new tandem axle 5er. This discussion of the Andersen not fitting between the tires so it can be used is the rub.

If I was getting a single axle Escape, I'd keep and continue to use my BAL Leveler.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #31

Jack, what was the measurement at ground level, but wait until it stops raining. The ramble set worked on the 19 with 14' tires, even with the 15' tires on the 21' there should be another 1" available? You can always cut the ramble set down 1" to make it fit. I'll check it out next week once Blackjack comes home.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
FYI. The ramble levelers also works on the 19 with 15" tires.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
FYI. The ramble levelers also works on the 19 with 15" tires.

Dave
Good to know Dave. Then I see no reason why they will not work on the 21'? We will soon know.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 21' Escape
Question, are the scissor jacks that come on the 21 not heavy enough to use to level?
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #35

I do not think that any Escape comes with scissors jacks but do come equipped with stabilizers which are used to stabilize the trailer. Scissor jacks are used for jacking the trailer or car and have a greater capacity and are a lot bigger and heavier. Stabilizers are used after you level the trailer with your front tongue jack then you lower the stabilizer to steady all 4 corners. You may still experience suspension movement which are minimized with wheel chocks.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #36
Site Team

I know Dave&Katie's new 21' doesn't have scissor jacks.. I looked. Theirs has the BAL stabilizers... which is what I prefer because they lay flat against the bottom of the trailer during travel.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not think that any Escape comes with scissors jacks but do come equipped with stabilizers which are used to stabilize the trailer. Scissor jacks are used for jacking the trailer or car and have a greater capacity and are a lot bigger and heavier. Stabilizers are used after you level the trailer with your front tongue jack then you lower the stabilizer to steady all 4 corners. You may still experience suspension movement which are minimized with wheel chocks.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Most stabilizers are the BAL or bal style type. Due to a shipping error by Escapes supplier a few trailers got scissor style ones. I think Reace asked customers if they wished to wait for a new shipment and/or was given the go ahead to fit them. Alf p.s. Excuse the old pic. you can just see the BAL style, folded flat ready to travel, sticking out under the service doors ahead of the power cord.
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020445.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know Dave&Katie's new 21' doesn't have scissor jacks.. I looked. Theirs has the BAL stabilizers... which is what I prefer because they lay flat against the bottom of the trailer during travel.
Donna, I will have to double check, but while the scissors ones don't fold up completely flat, I don't believe they are any lower than the tank drains, so really are not a limiting factor in clearance. I am really glad to have them. I think all the ones Reace used are BAL brand (or seem to be)- the full scissor can be used as a leveling jack, the other (one leg) only a stabilizing jack is my understanding. I actually retrofitted scissor jacks onto our Scamp as I had trouble with one of the popup type ones jamming on me.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Tell me a little bit about these stabilizer jacks. My Escape was one of a batch that came with scissors jacks. I can visualize the arm you are talking about and the fact that it retracts further against the bottom of the trailer. Just how does it retract? Are you using the wrench that Escape provided with a 3/4 inch socket welded on?

With the scissors jack I used a 18 volt cordless drill with the same 3/4 socket. It made quick work. With the stabilizer jack will I want to do the same thing?

Donna, I can agree that the stabilizers are better for the reason of retracting further. I sheared one off in a construction zone.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Donna, I can agree that the stabilizers are better for the reason of retracting further. I sheared one off in a construction zone.
...then maybe I am wrong about them not hanging down lower than the drain pipes... I think these are the standard model?
Attached Thumbnails
41HSlDi6DfL.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote