Anderson Levelers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Anderson Levelers

I know there are some of you that use these as opposed to boards or Lego blocks. Now that you've had them for a while how are they working pout in practice, worth the $?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I bought two, cut them down so they'd fit between the tires of our 19' and have used them a few times. They worked ok on some surfaces, but once when I was taking the hitch off the hitch ball the trailer slid off of them (yes, I used them correctly; yes I had the other side chocked appropriately). It was quite concerning. My guess is that everything was a little slick too from the mist and the slope of the site was just enough to create a problem. Anyway, I'm not a fan and wouldn't buy them again. However, I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses to the contrary - some people are big fans.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I'm sure that was scary. Thanks for the heads up. I have one but haven't used it yet. I thought it would be a bit easier than the BAL leveler that I have (lighter weight too). The BAL is fairly simple to use, but a bit big and awkward, but I only have a single axle.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When you say that the trailer slid off, I assume that is to the side, correct? With the wedge in place under the leveler, it couldn't go forward or back. What do you think caused this, because they are smooth?

Just wondering, as I have been considering getting them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Have used them and love them. Quick, easy, and no problems with stability.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
anderson leveler

When I have used them, I get the tires up on the ramp and then lock the wheels with the Bal-X chocks and then disconnect the TV. Works good for me.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When you say that the trailer slid off, I assume that is to the side, correct? With the wedge in place under the leveler, it couldn't go forward or back. What do you think caused this, because they are smooth?

Perhaps, if the leveler was slanted, rather than having been leveled on the slope, the trailer might just slide sideways, especially if the leveler was wet. Just speculating. Perhaps roughing them up with some coase sandpaper might help.

Glenn
Old 06-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
With only a few trips using them we (I) like the easy setup.

On the 21 you will need to trim off ~1" to fit between the wheels.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
They work quite well on sites which have only a side tilt. For me it works best to pull/back on slightly too far and then coast back the tiny bit required to get level. I like the ease of getting an exact side to side level. I cut about 1.5" off one for my 19' so it would fit. It is a bit fussy on removal - move too far and the other tire is on it.

Given that I have them I will use continue to use them, but I don't think I would buy them again. (I would probably sell them if someone local wanted them.) I also have some yellow plastic ramps (that I no longer carry) that are OK, but not as good as the Andersens.

For sites with a front to back slope I would prefer to raise the downhill axle some.The orange "lego" blocks are almost as easy to use as the Andersens, and (I think) better in this case.

My advice - try to borrow some and try them yourself - different strokes for different folks.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I'm sure that was scary. Thanks for the heads up. I have one but haven't used it yet. I thought it would be a bit easier than the BAL leveler that I have (lighter weight too). The BAL is fairly simple to use, but a bit big and awkward, but I only have a single axle.
We had the BAL leveler for our Casita and while it is rather large and heavy, I really liked it for the ease of use and the fact that one could level the trailer perfectly and by oneself.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

The trailer slid off the front. The ground was wet, the levelers and tires were slick (I've thought about roughing up the surface), and the site was rather wonky. Everything moved. It was the perfect combination of problems and I doubt this would happen again. Next time I will use the X like chock I've got before unhitching (as opposed to the green wedgies). That said, I'm not impressed and think there are less expensive options that don't need to be cut to fit.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I've been camping with campers and trailers for over 40 years and I'll use my Lynx levelers all day long. Nothing can be simpler. I started out with chunks of 2x6 like everyone else but got tired of the weight and mess (they eventually rot).
Coincidentally, I was camping in Birch Bay Washington in the 1980's and an older RVer (he may have been younger than I am now) gave me his plans for a leveler he was using, made from laminated plywood. He called it "The Rockin Block". Don't know if he patented it, but it looks like Anderson copied it. I'll attach a copy of the plans. I never did make my own but kept the drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Rockin Block 001.jpg  
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
I have been using only one on my 19. Doesn't seem to be a need for two. I did have one issue on a thick gravel spot in Bend OR, where the thing dragged rather than pivot. Had to improvise with blocks so it is good to still carry blocks.

Otherwise, it has been a very good solution.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote