Battery Lifting Strap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Battery Lifting Strap

Just got done putting the trailer to bed for the winter in covered storage without power. Since we can still get the occasional cold snap being on the fringe of the Alaska Banana Belt I pull the dual six volts and put them on the battery tender in the heated garage.

Using the battery lifting strap, makes it a lot easier getting those interstate six volts out of the box in the rear bench. In the past we used our bike tie down straps, this is much easier, and only seven bucks. https://www.amazon.com/EZGO-609628-B.../dp/B00699WCUM

Time to mulch the leaves, wax the skis and put studs on the fat bike. Woo Hoo!, winter cometh. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like my bikes fat and slow
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Thanks so much for the link...the picture finally explained to me what the strap I have hanging on a nail in my shed is for!!!! I had been thinking of going out to buy a battery strap...and here I had one all along.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Just got done putting the trailer to bed for the winter in covered storage without power. Since we can still get the occasional cold snap being on the fringe of the Alaska Banana Belt I pull the dual six volts and put them on the battery tender in the heated garage.

Scott and Lori
I like my bikes fat and slow
Maybe a dumm question, but why and for what reason do the batteries need to be pulled?
Would like advice on this, as this will be our trailer's first "hibernation".
(Planning on storing it in a cold garage in maybe even colder then Alaska temperatures)
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Maybe a dumm question, but why and for what reason do the batteries need to be pulled?
Would like advice on this, as this will be our trailer's first "hibernation".
(Planning on storing it in a cold garage in maybe even colder then Alaska temperatures)
Our covered storage does not have power available to leave the trailer plugged in all winter. On our previous truck camper I was replacing the deep cycle batteries every other year after leaving them in the camper all winter, October thru late April. Given a low enough temperature deep cycle batteries can freeze. When I started putting the batteries indoors on a battery tender I had better longevity.

If you have power available, just leave it plugged in. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:57 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I used to pull the batteries, but since they started to get heavier, I stopped the practice.

To leave them in the trailer when it's freezing out, you have to keep them fully charged. But then I don't live in AK. A 100 percent fully charged battery will not freeze until approximately minus 76 degrees F. So says Google.

As my trailer is covered and parked at home, I top off the water, and throw the disconnect after they are 100% charged. Periodically hook up power to the trailer and let the converter/charger do it's thing.

If I were leaving the trailer in a storage yard, I'd be inclined to pull them and the LPG. As much for theft prevention as charging convenience.

If I lived in colder then AK temps, and it was getting to -76F I'd move, but you can pull them. Better yet, have someone else pull them. If the garage has power, leave it hooked up so the converter can take care of it. Do check/fill the batteries a couple times a year.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Thank you both for the info!!!
First killing night frost on its way: -7C for tomorrow night in the forecast. Maybe we should move.....
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote