Battery powered lantern - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yes but it was such an enjoyable post, we're requesting an encore.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
The only lantern I carry in the escape is a candle lantern (for those candlelight dinners), and a Petzl headlamp that has rechargeable batteries. I use the headlamp for walking Murphy-the-Dog, and doing after-dark outside chores. I got it some time ago, and don't think it is available any more. It has the option to use a small red LED instead of the white bulb, which is often nice when you want to look at stars.

Jim, I have the black diamond apollo lantern you referenced. I use it in my tent when bicycle camping. It makes a cozy light.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I have two head lamps, both exceptionally bright (100 and 200 lumens) that can be dimmed down for reading lights. Also have a 1050 lumen hand held light that fits in the palm of my hand that throws a solid beam for about 300 metres. All use AA batteries, chargeable or disposable. Quite often though, I just end up using the light off of my iPhone, which works fine in a pinch.
Having a really bright light in a dark place when you need it is like a gift from heaven....
Robot Check
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Speaking of I phone lights, the reality of the Information Age and all of its devices was brought into sharp focus for me last summer one evening at a local lake. Three young people were hunting crayfish to use for bait. They were shining their I phones in the shallow water. I had to shake my head on that one.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Every seen a woman doing her makeup using the iPhone video camera ( selfie mode ) as a mirror?
Old 02-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #26

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
Also have a 1050 lumen hand held light that fits in the palm of my hand that throws a solid beam for about 300 metres.
Having a really bright light in a dark place when you need it is like a gift from heaven....
Robot Check
Holy Cow - 1150 lumens (according to the Amazon ad)! I thought my new one at 600 was awfully bright!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Holy Cow - 1150 lumens (according to the Amazon ad)! I thought my new one at 600 was awfully bright!
Like Jim B, (young Jim?) I tend to be a dark sky advocate. I am a long time year round bicycle commuter. The new generation of bicycle helmet lights are running any where from 1500 – 2500 lumens with bar lights double to triple that. With the recent popularity of snow biking there has been a huge jump in complaints from the other user groups, Nordic skiers, runners, walkers and my least favorite, the horse people. (I owe the horse people an apology; last time I went for a walk with my two-year-old grand daughter a very nice lady rode over and let her pet the horse). I have actually gone back to my old climbing, backpacking lights so as not to blind my fellow trail users. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes don’t need lights when the moon is full
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Like Jim B, (young Jim?)
You are now officially my new best friend on here, Scott.

But too be fair, I am still quite young.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

But too be fair, I am still quite young.
Must be the fortified morning coffees.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yes, it is terribly bright when on "Turbo" mode. Fortunately it has several settings, the lowest being firefly mode which in dark places still lets you see the trail without sacrificing the stars. You can turn it up really quick if there is a sound of something scary in the trees ahead though.
I got it originally for night wildfire operations when bush-wacking and guiding dozers when putting in fire guards at night. When I am working in front of heavy equipment that is knocking big trees over, I like to see and be seen
My neighbour was having some problems with local kids partying down the street and then hanging by her back fence. I lent her the flashlight, she used it once, and has not had a problem since.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Like Jim B, (young Jim?) I tend to be a dark sky advocate. I am a long time year round bicycle commuter. The new generation of bicycle helmet lights are running any where from 1500 – 2500 lumens with bar lights double to triple that. With the recent popularity of snow biking there has been a huge jump in complaints from the other user groups, Nordic skiers, runners, walkers and my least favorite, the horse people. (I owe the horse people an apology; last time I went for a walk with my two-year-old grand daughter a very nice lady rode over and let her pet the horse). I have actually gone back to my old climbing, backpacking lights so as not to blind my fellow trail users. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes don’t need lights when the moon is full
I was a bike commuter for 34 years. The thing I miss most about work is the bike ride. Especially when it comes to bicycle lights (but in most other cases as well), I think some manufacturers emphasize lumens when they should be thinking about the shape of the beam and how the light is to be used. Edlux makes a nice generator powered light that focuses the beam so the brightest part is farther out, and the light is on the road rather than in the eyes of other road users. But number of lumens make for good advertising copy, and hey, if I have more lumens than you, I must be doing better than you.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I rode the bike at night, this what we used....
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When I rode the bike at night, this what we used....
This was before they invented batteries, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I used one of those generators to power a light on my bicycle many years ago. They really add a lot of resistance to the drivetrain and it is like you are peddling uphill against the wind at all times.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and the faster you went on the bike, downhill, the brighter the light, my first car had a generator that did the same, except going up a hill the lights got bright and the wipers stopped (vacuum operated)....
Old 02-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #36

My bikes with generators have hub powered generators, either from a Schmidt, a German company or from SP, a Taiwan company. They have almost no resistance. And work much better than the ones in the photo above.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
My bikes with generators have hub powered generators, either from a Schmidt, a German company or from SP, a Taiwan company. They have almost no resistance. And work much better than the ones in the photo above.
Leon, Schmidt hubs, the BMW of dyno hubs. Funny you brought those up. I'm thinking of building a set of carbon fiber wheels with a dyno hub for some of the dark winter bikepacking trips up here. In the summer no need for lights. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote