Battery powered lantern - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Battery powered lantern

After losing our power for a few hours the other night and digging out the battery powered lantern so I could continue reading my book in bed, I remembered that I wanted to get one for The Trailer.

Did tons of searching on Amazon - holy cow, there are a bunch of 'em on there. Dang! But I finally narrowed it down to one that I think will work quite well for us. It's small and compact, can be easily hung off a hook, it doesn't weigh too much and it cranks out the light.

Holy cow - does it crank out the light! After ripping open the box from Amazon, I installed 3 D batteries and turned it on. Just about blinded myself. And that was on the low setting. I took it into my very dark bedroom and turned it on. One of my cats was on the bed and looked around like "jeez, it's never this bright in here, what the heck?" after blinking a bunch of times. The things I put my cats through! I tell ya!

I like lots of light for reading and hopefully this will do the job if I'm somewhere and don't have any lights in the trailer for who-knows-why. Or if I need to wander outside at night and want to blind everyone else around, including any critters that might be sneaking around. Hey, that bobcat might be ready to rip my tire cover off!

Amazon.com: Blazin' Bison 500 Lumen - Brightest LED Camping & Hurricane Lantern - Battery Operated - Six Day Runtime: Sports & Outdoors

Anywho, thought I'd post in case anyone else stocking up on stuff for their new trailer is thinking of something like this.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use thewirecutter.com to sort through 'best' this or that.
This lantern will run for 30 days on 3 d-cells. Gave best illumination.
Wirecutter tested 13 lanterns to arrive at their choice.

The Best LED Lantern | The Sweethome
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 9.36.27 PM.png  
Old 02-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #3

I installed a eye-bolt to hang the lantern from. You remove the globe and hang it from a hook on the bottom and light shines down.
Lamp here is on low, because super bright isn't always what you want, and it conserves battery.
Attached Thumbnails
LED lamp.jpg  
Old 02-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like the rechargeable ones
Robot Check
Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One has to remember that brightest is not always best, and we need to respect those that are camping around us. Nothing like enjoying a nice evening out camping, enjoying the starlight, when a neighbouring camper has lights a blazing. Do use any light source with respect.

I have used a small Coleman white gas lantern for many, many years, long before LED became mainstream. However, I have rarely used it for many years now. mostly because of the noise they make. Hauling the gas around is not so great either. When canoeing, we always brought white gas for our stoves though.

Headlamps are our go to source of portable light, and we have a few good ones. My favourite one is the PETZL ZIPCA, with a retractable headband, it fits in any pocket easily, and can be handheld like a tiny flashlight too. I have never used the PETZL e+LITE, but it looks great too. Both available at MEC or REI. The advantage of headlamps is that you always have light aimed where you are looking, a great task lamp. Better than a flashlight or sometimes a lantern, in that they keep both hands free. They also use way less power than a lantern would.

That said, I have pretty much retired my white gas landtern, and am considered getting an LED one. Mostly for group tasks, like cooking and cleaning at night away from the trailer. When around the trailer we have a ton of LED lights that work better than a lantern anyway. I would want a small form factor to it. I looked at a lot of reviews and there are certainly some that fit the bill.

That UST 30-Day baglo linked to is one of them.

The Divine Ultra Bright LED Lantern is one that is quite small and gives good light when need. No light level adjustment though. Sometimes simple is good though, especially for something that gets limited use.

I have a friend who bought the Black Diamond Apollo Lantern. This is a great lantern. Small form factor packs away anywhere, and it gives off good light. It is the one at the top of my list right now. The Black Diamond Titan is a good lantern too, and infinitely dimmable, though is bigger than I would like.

Not sure what I would get yet, but of the most importance, is small form factor, dimmable, and tough.

Still, our headlamps work great, so I really have to ask myself (and hopefully get an answer ) if a lantern is really needed. I don't like bringing stuff along camping unless it gets good use, especially if it is a redundant item.

Regarding being rechargeable, pretty much any of these LED lanterns can use rechargeable batteries, which we always carry spares of anyway. It you plug the lantern in to recharge a built in battery, you might be left high and dry when boondocking and the power runs out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

Trailer: none
I just ordered this one - should arrive today and we'll see how well it does. It's solar rechargable:
Robot Check
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
With the interior LED kit and the 4 additional captains lights that were added during the build, our 19' has more interior battery powered lights than we ever use at one time, so we don't have any need for more. We do keep 2 or 3 small LED flashlights in the trailer for those times when a walk outside in the dark may be necessary.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When reading, the booklights (clamp onto book) work great. For outside a small light to keep from tripping over a root is more important than a big light to see what's waaaaaaaay over there. Also, low brightness or red lenses keep your night vision.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
For outside a small light to keep from tripping over a root is more important than a big light to see what's waaaaaaaay over there. Also, low brightness or red lenses keep your night vision.
You raise a great point. When walking about in the dark, I prefer very low light, or if possible no light at all, as it does allow me to see better outside of any light source.

I find it funny that folks in lit campgrounds, or boondocking in the moonlight, still want to walk with another light source. I guess you need to justify your purchase.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't wear a headlamp at night. The bouncing makes me loopy(ier) I prefer something small in my hand that I hold steady. Too many twisted ankles over the years, I need to see where to place my feet. Besides, I don't bounce off the ground like I used too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

Well Donna, I can't attest to your level of loopiness, but I am thinking you might have a bobble head. None of ours bounce when walking. I have skied and hiked at night wearing one, with no bounce.

Flashlights do work, and not crashing to the ground is very important. One doesn't recover as well with age, that is for certain.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17B
We love our LED lantern at home in the garden but when camping I pull my camp chair right up under the exterior light under the awning and turn on the LED awning light strip. I can read easily. I line my camp chair with my 12 volt blanket and sit out until late reading. It is my favourite part of the day - next to that morning coffee made with my Aeropress (thanks for the tip everyone)
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The backlit Kindle is what I use for reading with no lights on in the trailer. I can make the fonts larger as age progresses and I have over 1000 books plus access to check digital books out from the local library.
4 captains lights in bed and dinette corners are excellent interior lighting.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Was at Lake Casitas recently and saw one of those awning lights- this one a multi-colored thing that was in its own way screaming into the night. Why people think that is OK is beyond me.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Was at Lake Casitas recently and saw one of those awning lights- this one a multi-colored thing that was in its own way screaming into the night. Why people think that is OK is beyond me.
I'm with you on this. I too could never understand the desire to light your trailer up like a Christmas tree.

Obviously there are some that do think it is a good thing to do, and I guess it is their prerogative.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I installed a eye-bolt to hang the lantern from. You remove the globe and hang it from a hook on the bottom and light shines down.
Lamp here is on low, because super bright isn't always what you want, and it conserves battery.
What happened to your "no holes" rule?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
What happened to your "no holes" rule?
I had the same thought.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #18

I discussed holes here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...vent-6684.html
Old 02-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #19

I completely missed that thread. Musta been sleepin'.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I completely missed that thread. Musta been sleepin'.
Me too.