BIKE RACKs once again... - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #101

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Is the offset on the 1up enough for the bike closest to the trailer to clear the spare tire? We had to extend our swagman about 6" to mount the bike next to the spare.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #102

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Looking for a rack for our 5 TA. Saw a A1 up today on the back of a Nissan. It looked extremely well constructed. Would appreciate your thoughts on what we’re the deciding factors that took you to it over the swagman?
All aluminum construction. Nothing to rust. No plastic parts to crack or break or nylon straps to fray or break. It cinches down tight in the receiver so no rocking, and a simple long shank padlock will prevent theft. We love ours - a 2" Super Duty Single. It will be easy to add a second bike tray if/when we want. Expensive, but we feel we got our money's worth and then some.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #103

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
1 up bike racks

On our 17B the rack clears the spare. We have a double & our 2 bikes traveled from Denver through Utah & AZ to Albuquerque for last week’s Day of the Tread bike ride. We had covers for the bikes & used extra bungie cords to reduce billowing. Great trip & great ride other than the 30+ miles of headwinds after the turnaround. It was the rack’s first outing on the trailer & worked perfectly.
The 1up is worth the money & I could have paid for it more easily had I not tried several other brands first. Live and learn

Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #104

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Thank you. This very helpful. So I take it you had no trouble clearing the spare tire?
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #105

1up

No trouble at all with spare and the rack is a rock solid one.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #106

Okay guess I will bite the bullet and get one or as you say I could buy two or three others first and then end up back with a 1 up. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #107

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had the Swagman after 2 other failure racks, including o e that the outside bike was hanging from almost falling off- and the other ingenious rack that hung your bike by the wheels. Both unsuitable for trailer with the pendulum forces. Swagman RV is a beast and rubs the paint off off your frame and is a PITA to release. 1UP is the 1.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #108

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Is the offset on the 1up enough for the bike closest to the trailer to clear the spare tire? We had to extend our swagman about 6" to mount the bike next to the spare.
The 1UP works fine to clear the spare tire on our 21. You do need to pay attention to the placement and orientation of the handlebar of the bike closest to the trailer, but it is not difficult.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #109

That, and watch that your pedals aren't too close to the spare tire cover- again not hard to do.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #110

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We just upgraded our mountain bikes from aluminum frames to carbon frames. The Swagman RV has been great for 10,000+ miles of carrying the aluminum bikes. Now with carbon framed bikes I am looking at the 1up 2 bike carrier, heavy duty, with the 2" hitch. Convince me the carrier is back far enough that the spare tire on the back of our Escape 19 will be clear of the inner bike.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #111

The 1UP bike rack does not have a hole drilled where a pin is inserted at a fixed point. Instead, a round ball compresses when turning the security allen wrench. So you can slide the rack back inside the receiver to where you want it.

That being said, our Mountain Bike maniac son would never transport his bike anywhere except inside the vehicle. And it's true that while probably the sturdiest RV rack out there, the pendulum effect can be brutal on a bike. Are carbon fiber frames more fragile to this effect?
Old 05-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #112

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I can only convince you that there is sufficient clearance on our 17B, and the rack could be slid out further than we set it.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #113

Hi, we have carried two bikes on the back of our 19 with the 1Up rack. Works fine. Also worked great on our 17B
Old 05-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #114

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The 1UP bike rack does not have a hole drilled where a pin is inserted at a fixed point. Instead, a round ball compresses when turning the security allen wrench. So you can slide the rack back inside the receiver to where you want it.

That being said, our Mountain Bike maniac son would never transport his bike anywhere except inside the vehicle. And it's true that while probably the sturdiest RV rack out there, the pendulum effect can be brutal on a bike. Are carbon fiber frames more fragile to this effect?
A suggestion: I mitigated all movement by using a block of styrofoam between the top tube and the spare tire. Then securing with a bungee cord to Top of the spare tire mount. Totally secure, zero movement.

Edit: Oh, I have the 1UP Super Duty rack.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 PM   #115

Quote:
We just upgraded our mountain bikes from aluminum frames to carbon frames. The Swagman RV has been great for 10,000+ miles of carrying the aluminum bikes. Now with carbon framed bikes I am looking at the 1up 2 bike carrier, heavy duty, with the 2" hitch. Convince me the carrier is back far enough that the spare tire on the back of our Escape 19 will be clear of the inner bike.

Cleared the tire easily on our 5 TA. We just finished a trip to Arizona and California with no problems attaching two large mountain bikes to our 1 up.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:19 AM   #116

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
I have a 21' Escape and 2 bike 1UP bike rack. I wanted to be able to insert the shank of the bike rack all the way into the trailers receiver so I ordered the 1UP extension that they sell. I have multiple styles of bikes and they all clear the spare tire just fine. I'm very happy with the rack.
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #117

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
We just upgraded our mountain bikes from aluminum frames to carbon frames.
My experience is that carbon is very expensive. Certainly not a very common occurrence but don't rule out the possibility of being rear ended. I know one forum member who it just happened to recently with his 21. His empty folded bike rack was on the back which took some of the blow. Based on an earlier conversation we had he secured his electric bikes inside the trailer. Will a car insurance policy cover the bikes if they are destroyed in an accident? Or maybe it is the personal property provision of your homeowner's policy?
Old 06-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #118

Trailer: 2020
Do any of you have e-bikes? The racks must be e-bike rated. Much heavier bike. We have 2 e-bikes which will weigh in at about 50 lbs each after you take the battery off.
Oldnavgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #119

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
1 UP super duty are rated for 50-75 lbs per bike spot (max 225 for the rack), and ours is built like a tank. Seems like size might be your only issue.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #120

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'm thinking about getting a rack like this for my ebike.
I'm just a little nervous about not being able to see it on the back of the trailer, though.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote