BIKE RACKs once again... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Carrying bikes under a camper shell....

FYI, for those who tow with a pickup and camper shell, this Swagman Pick-Up rack, mounted in reverse at the rear of the bed, is a great set-up for us in our F-150.
https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-B...an/S64702.html
We turned it 90 degrees, and the bed tie-downs help wedge it in snugly. Since the rack wasn't engineered to be turned 90 degrees, I plan to slide a block under the middle to help support the weight before any long trips on rough roads, just to be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09739.jpg   DSC09742.jpg   DSC09741.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Similar idea, I used a pair of these screwed onto a 2/4 cut to size.

Worked great before I had the fifth wheel.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Similar idea, I used a pair of these screwed onto a 2/4 cut to size. Worked great before I had the fifth wheel.
How did you hold the 2x4 in place?
Old 12-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
How did you hold the 2x4 in place?
It was just cut to fit snug side to side, if it moved it was only front to back an inch or so. Don't know if it had anything to do with it staying put but it was doug fir which is fairly heavy. Could probably even use 3/4" ply or some of that 90% glue fiber board.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
You'll never regret a 1UP rack.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
You'll never regret a 1UP rack.
We have a 1UP Super Duty Single for the back of the trailer. Very nice. But there are times we might want more protection from the elements or from a miscreant with ill intentions. Securing our bikes inside the camper shell (out of the weather and out of sight) will give us some additional peace of mind in either case.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Group, I'm going to be purchasing a 1Up bike rack for my big trip. My question, is what kind of bike security do you think would be wise to get? Neither of the bikes are valuable to anyone but us, but sure don't want to see them nor the rack to walk off. Anything here? https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/security/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I use a 6' Kryptonite cable; it was the longest that REI had in stock with a reasonably thick cable. Being creative with it, I am able to secure the frames and rear wheels of two bikes to the rack. Going longer would probably allow the front wheels to also be secured, but would be more unwieldy to handle (rationale perhaps - if someone wants the front wheels that bad...). Also, thicker cables are stiffer - thus harder to wind around components. Tradeoff I suppose in degree of security versus ease of install. I absolutely love the 1UP rack!
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Group, I'm going to be purchasing a 1Up bike rack for my big trip. My question, is what kind of bike security do you think would be wise to get? Neither of the bikes are valuable to anyone but us, but sure don't want to see them nor the rack to walk off. Anything here? https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/security/
Once you tighten the rack's shaft into the receiver, you can use a simple long shank padlock in place of what they sell as a "Hitch Bar Lock" to help keep the rack from walking away. From there, a common bike cable lock to either the rack or the hitch assembly should keep the bike from walking away. Make sure the cable goes through the frame and both wheels, or you might end up with a unicycle!
Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Donna, I got one of these to lock the rack and bikes to the trailer. I also have a lighter cable lock for each bike to lock them while on a ride.

Master Lock Receiver Lock and 8-foot Cable | Canadian Tire

PS. I loop the receiver lock through each bike frame, and use the cable locks to lock wheels to frame on each bike while in the rack.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #31

We've been biking a long time and currently have 6 ( six !) bikes. I never found a rack I actually liked until the 1-up rack we now have. Love it. It's a serious, heavy duty and well engineered piece of equipment . I don't even want to think about all the money we wasted on the prior racks. They're ok, until you try to do anything off-road. Then they fold...not pretty.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My current Thule, 4 bike rack isn't RV rated. I'm not worried when carrying just my bicycle. But am looking not only at 'better,' but towing longer distances. Doubtful I'll ever "off road" when pulling Ten Forward. I'm giving the Thule and two bicycles to my daughter and SIL. It will work great for their needs and I get rid of 'STUFF.'

Great feedback on the cables and locks. Do y'all think these would take care of the cables through the frame and rims? https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-locks/

I have a bunch of cables and locks and you're right they're stiff. I guess I'm just looking for 'simple' that works.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #33

We use cables and padlocks with our 1-UP rack, but usually only if we decide we're leaving for a while and the bikes might be at risk, otherwise there's nothing. The big advantage of the 1-UP is the speed of mounting and dismounting the bikes. VERY convenient once you get the hang of the mechanism.

Yeah, if your cables have the loops on the ends, I'd bet you could use the 1-UP locks like that to secure them.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Great feedback on the cables and locks. Do y'all think these would take care of the cables through the frame and rims? https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-locks/
Donna, I just purchased a 1up and those locks from 1up also (and have not used them yet). I was looking for something simple and easy. The serious bike riders at work recommended them.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Donna, I got one of these to lock the rack and bikes to the trailer. I also have a lighter cable lock for each bike to lock them while on a ride.
Master Lock Receiver Lock and 8-foot Cable | Canadian Tire PS. I loop the receiver lock through each bike frame, and use the cable locks to lock wheels to frame on each bike while in the rack.
The 1Up USA bike rack doesn't use a traditional hitch pin (doesn't even have holes for one) because that allows too much slack and sloppy rocking. They instead incorporate a "compression ball system" (my words), that when pushed into place by a threaded bold with a proprietary (kind of) Allen wrench head, snugs/"locks" the shaft in the hitch receiver and eliminates loose-fit rocking. Then for security, you can lock out access to the head of the tightening/snugging bolt. I hope that makes sense along with the photos below (sorry for the shadows). I'm sure the proprietary wheel locks work as advertised, but a good old fashioned bike cable lock is cheaper and, for my money, works just as well and locks the bike frame, as well.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09829.jpg   DSC09828.jpg   DSC09830.jpg  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #36

Oh, and GOD forbid you lose your "special" allen wrenches! Oh boy, do I know what a PITA THAT is !?! I ended hacking a crude one together quickly, but they will ship new ones to you after they verify who you are.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We use a swagman XC bike rack with the optional locking pin and cable. I put part of a swimming noodle under the bike clamp and lock each bike down, I then thread two additional 6 foot cables through wheels and bikes. I figure someone will look at that and pick an easier target.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I installed one of these on my sob Lance Trailer, bolts to bumper and protects a myriad of items, including your bikes, on or off the bike carrier
https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-33712...words=toy+lock
Attached Thumbnails
61mSl7lJOBL._SL1000_.jpg  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
We use cables and padlocks with our 1-UP rack, but usually only if we decide we're leaving for a while and the bikes might be at risk, otherwise there's nothing.
I am the same. I bet the bikes are locked with the cable 10% of the time at the most. If I had my good mountain bike, I would likely lock it more often, but our older bikes, in great working condition, are not worth more than a couple hundred each, and are not likely a target for thieves.

On our recent 5 1/2 week trip, I had the bikes locked all the way down as they were not used. Day 4 saw us riding them, and the lock never got put back on. In fact, at camp the bikes were off the rack and unlocked. Just not worth worrying about too much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Oh, and GOD forbid you lose your "special" allen wrenches! Oh boy, do I know what a PITA THAT is !?! I ended hacking a crude one together quickly, but they will ship new ones to you after they verify who you are.
Our 1UP came with two wrenches (I assumed they all did), so I keep one in the glove box of each vehicle.