BIKE RACKs once again... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #81

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I should have noted that the bike “sculpture” is located in Pringle South Dakota in Custer county. We took a drive one morning on what is called the Red Canyon road if I remember correctly. Lots of red sandstone, some old falling down soddies, lots of black cows. We decided to get back to Custer and took a state highway that goes through Pringle. Three things I remember 1, The bike sculpture. 2. A run down store across the road with some antiques ( I passed on a Victor 3N coyote trap). 3. And finally a flushing flock of young turkeys along the road, one of whom was no match for the Toyota Highlander piloted by Miss Rita. No damage to us, not so good for the gobbler. Having been to the Black Hills 25 times in the past 50 years we are always seeking out something we haven’t done before. Take crackers, lure the begging burros to put their head in your car and watch them drool on your leather upholstery. Great fun. Do not mess with the buffalo, they are out of your weight class.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here’s a sculpture for all of the bicycle people who are going to visit the Black Hills this summer. You’ll know you’re off the beaten path when you see this. Didn’t see any Campagnolo parts when I looked it over.
Iowa Dave

Gee, I dunno, Dave. We beat that path pretty much (US-385), when we visited Custer State Park, Wind Caves NP, etc. Lots to do around Mt. Rushmore.
By the way, watch out for deer. about 1000 yards north of the bicycle sculpture in Pringle, we hit a deer that put us in the KOA Rapid City for 2 weeks, while we waited for the repairs. (The deer went to a needy family: A Custer Co. Sheriff's deputy was behind us, and so, verified 'fresh meat', so a charity came and got it.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #83

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here’s a sculpture for all of the bicycle people who are going to visit the Black Hills this summer. You’ll know you’re off the beaten path when you see this. Didn’t see any Campagnolo parts when I looked it over.
Iowa Dave
Anyone that could find that little piece of America is out looking around off the beaten path. Good for you!
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #84

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
One note of caution about the 1UP racks is that on my recent trip to the desert, when removing my 45lb bike from the rack, I found the rack loose in the receiver. Luckily the bike was also strapped in so it didn't fall off en route. I called the mfg to see why it had come loose (and another unrelated question) and they said that the rack I bought (1.25” – 2” Quik Rack Single) while perfectly able to handle the weight "isn't rated for RV use". They said I should have purchased the "2" Super Duty Single". It has a little beefier supports. He said it would bounce less which it why mine came loose. Hmmm... I suggested they should have included that information on their web site.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Looked at their website and although they mention RV/trailer use with 2 bike maximum on their 2" models they do not on the 1.25"-2" model. I agree they should put that same bullet point on that model.

Did you buy it originally for use with a smaller vehicle's smaller receiver? If not and if the lower price for that single rack model is what drove your decision I would ask them to swap it out for the difference in cost of it vs. The 2" unit.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #86

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
Yeah, that was my thought too, although they didn't seem to agree with me. They offered to sell me heavier duty 2” hitch bar and side plates for $105, but they also have a returned set for $84. I'm considering it.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #87

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Check the rack manufacturer's specifications for a rack you are considering. Several I have checked out have prohibitions against installing on the back of a trailer where the hitch is more than 6' behind the rear axle. Hitch rider and Hollywood both have that prohibition, I guess due to the possiblity of causing trailer sway.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:44 PM   #88

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Looked at their website and although they mention RV/trailer use with 2 bike maximum on their 2" models they do not on the 1.25"-2" model. I agree they should put that same bullet point on it.
I agree. I did notice that difference when shopping their site so purchased the 2 bike super duty 2” model. I have never had an issue the the rack shaking loose in over 4000 miles of use.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #89

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Swagman Escapee
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #90

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I agree. I did notice that difference when shopping their site so purchased the 2 bike super duty 2” model. I have never had an issue the the rack shaking loose in over 4000 miles of use.

I almost went with the Super Duty double, but in the end, we got the 1UP 2” Heavy Duty Double.

We traveled all the way from San Antonio, TX to Los Barriles, Baja California South to Niagara Falls and back. This bike rack is rock solid.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #91
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Although cheaper, it appears the 1-Up Super Duty is rated for heavier bikes?
Total carrying capacity of up to 225 lb. (75 lb. per bike spot) due to the added support bar under the tray.

Heavy Duty = – Total carrying capacity of up to 200 lb. (50 lb. per bike spot)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #92

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Although cheaper, it appears the 1-Up Super Duty is rated for heavier bikes?
Total carrying capacity of up to 225 lb. (75 lb. per bike spot) due to the added support bar under the tray.

Heavy Duty = – Total carrying capacity of up to 200 lb. (50 lb. per bike spot)
Yes, and since one of my bikes is an E-Bike at 45# with the battery, the Super Duty meets my needs. (I suppose I could take the 7# battery off the bike during transport.)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #93

Trailer: Airstream Nest
Hi Glen, while towing an rv I do put my bike on top for my Jeep and use this top rack https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/tcfkm526ab.html. Since I also tow my RV at the back of my jeep then there is no space for it so my only option is at the back of it.
towme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #94
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Yes, and since one of my bikes is an E-Bike at 45# with the battery, the Super Duty meets my needs. (I suppose I could take the 7# battery off the bike during transport.)
I definitely take the 12lb batt off my wife's ebike. Watch the total weight, it's easy to exceed the 150 lb rating of the escape's rear bumper receiver with a beefy rack and two porky bikes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #95

Trailer: Casta 2003
Has any one put a bike rake on front of 19 foot escape. It would save overall length but would it fit? Worked on our 17 foot casta.
Wardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #96

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardb View Post
Has any one put a bike rake on front of 19 foot escape. It would save overall length but would it fit? Worked on our 17 foot casta.
This is my 17'. If you forgo the storage box, it appears there would be room to do something.
Attached Thumbnails
Tongue room.jpg  
Old 10-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #97

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
Swagman Chinook 2 Bike Platform Rack mounted on the front receiver of the Duromax. I can see the bikes and they do not get as dirty in wet weather.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #98
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
Swagman Chinook 2 Bike Platform Rack mounted on the front receiver of the Duromax. I can see the bikes and they do not get as dirty in wet weather.
I used to carry bikes on the front of our E150 van when towing a tent trailer in the back, but man at night, it blocked the headlights something fierce, and threw hellacious glare in my face.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #99

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
One thing with my 1UP (2") rack is I always lift it as I tighten the screw in the hitch, even shake it a little. Doing that I can always tighten the screw a good amount more than if I left the weight of the rack hanging. I've had the 4 bike setup for several years and driven over rough ground (attached to my SUV, not a trailer) and it has never loosened. One time I actually managed 5 bikes on the rack, but to help with the weight I ran a strap from the last tray up to the roof rack on the truck. I'm sure it's well over 150 lbs fully loaded.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #100

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
I love my 1UP rack. Caution: they have a new website. Use the one with the dash in the URL for their latest products. https://www.1up-usa.com
Looking for a rack for our 5 TA. Saw a A1 up today on the back of a Nissan. It looked extremely well constructed. Would appreciate your thoughts on what we’re the deciding factors that took you to it over the swagman?
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote