BIKE RACKs once again... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
BIKE RACKs once again...

Went to purchase 2 bikes at REI yesterday, also needing a rack. Was surprised that almost all of the many racks they had were NOT RV rated. For y'all with experience, even if you've shared before, what good options are there? I would prefer a 2 bike frame-support rack that would swing down to allow my 4runner hatchback to open (when used on the car); but are there any of that type that are RV/off-road certified? Otherwise, are 1UP and Swagman the only options? Any clarifications appreciated...Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We just purchased the Swagman Dispatch rack to replace a Saris unit that didn't cut it (not RV rated). Haven't travelled with it yet but will be using it to transport our bikes to the Escape rally. If you're going, feel free to stop by and check it out and we can relate how its first trip went.

Eric & Diana Escape 19 with Teal trim, white F150 Supercab tow vehicle.
etuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
We also just purchased a Swagman Dispatch of our up and coming 21, Swagman also has the Escapee but I'm not sure of it's options. Good Suggestion from another bike rack thread is by your second bike rack first it will save you money in the long run.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrek View Post
Went to purchase 2 bikes at REI yesterday, also needing a rack. Was surprised that almost all of the many racks they had were NOT RV rated. For y'all with experience, even if you've shared before, what good options are there? I would prefer a 2 bike frame-support rack that would swing down to allow my 4runner hatchback to open (when used on the car); but are there any of that type that are RV/off-road certified? Otherwise, are 1UP and Swagman the only options? Any clarifications appreciated...Glenn.

I love my 1UP rack. Caution: they have a new website. Use the one with the dash in the URL for their latest products. https://www.1up-usa.com
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We have the dispatch with 5000 miles on it and it has been pretty much as solid as a rock.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Bike Rack

I bought a 2-bike Yakima rack I found on Craigslist for a great price. I like that it's pretty heavy. We took a 3,000 mi. trip with it last year. No problems. Our bikes are easy to load, unload, and secure. It's a great rack.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Went 7k miles with the Thule T2, un rv rated frame rack. No problems other then it was a hassle strapping the bikes enough that they wouldn't sway. It was a drop down rack. Rack to trailer connection is pretty darn solid.

On our 1st trip with a new swagman, everything is solid, no need for straps. I'd think with the main vertical bar folded down it might be out of the way of a hatchback.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
I hate, hate, hate racks that hold the bike by a frame tube. As a collector/restorer of vintage steel bikes, the damage such a rack can do to a bike that survived 30 years or more is substantial. Now the damage is usually just cosmetic. I only use racks that support bikes from the bottom (wheels). If you are patient, you can find a good rack on CL at a reasonable price. I picked up a nice Thule T2 two bike rack at a bike co-op.

My good bikes remain inside the truck, but I carry a rack for bikes I find on every trip.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Sounds like the Swagman and 1 up seems to work well. When I started thinking about a bike rack I was concerned how the bikes would fair with all the bouncing at the rear of the trailer.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
I had the Swagman Dispatch mounted on the back of my pickup yesterday and drove over some rough roads with it and the bikes where solid.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #11

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Have also been thinking I'll go with theSwagman Dispatch - like that the bicycle is not just supported by the tube.... ad an ok price. ...Just wish had more than a two bicycle capacity. Ah well - will no doubt figure out a way to adapt as need arises.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Have also been thinking I'll go with theSwagman Dispatch ... Just wish had more than a two bicycle capacity....
I was browsing through a biking forum for competitive bikers a few days back, and in a bike carrier thread, a lot of them said they use the 1UP USA "Super Duty Single" then add on additional Super Duty Single trays as needed depending on how many different bikes they need to transport (up to 3 bikes total, 225 lb total, 75 lb per bike tray). It's a little more expensive to piece it together that way, but lots more flexible for them to meet their changing needs for each competition. For what it's worth, the black anodized option (yet even more expensive) was popular because they thought it looked more rugged on the back of their tricked-out trucks and SUVs.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21 "BE NICE"
We finished a 14,600 around the US with our Escape 21 with our bikes. We purchased the Thule at REI. Great rack and would buy it again.

https://www.rei.com/product/103178/t...FY6cfgodY5IFZg
dbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #14

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Thanks! -looks good!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I was browsing through a biking forum for competitive bikers a few days back, and in a bike carrier thread, a lot of them said they use the 1UP USA "Super Duty Single" then add on additional Super Duty Single trays as needed depending on how many different bikes they need to transport (up to 3 bikes total, 225 lb total, 75 lb per bike tray). It's a little more expensive to piece it together that way, but lots more flexible for them to meet their changing needs for each competition. For what it's worth, the black anodized option (yet even more expensive) was popular because they thought it looked more rugged on the back of their tricked-out trucks and SUVs.

This is the rack I have and it is rock solid! I am very happy with it.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 06-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Just completed our first trip with the Swagman Dispatch bike rake; 1500 km and it performed great. The only problem was self-induced by my own bone-headed cross threading of the hitch attachment bolt. The folks at Swagman answered my plea for help with new parts within 24 hours and at at no charge. Now that's GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Thank you very much.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Apropos of absolutely nothing, other than the fact it has to do with a bike rack - this past weekend my neighbor was a big ass Class A. Backed in next to me. I noticed there were 6 (yes, I counted 'em) bikes on the back. Okay, must have a passel of kids. Nope, just the man and woman. Bikes came down. I was gone most of 2 days so only saw them use 2 of them Sunday evening.

I never got a chance to ask why they had 6 bikes with them. Clueless about bikes so could not tell you what types they were. I just found it rather interesting they had 6 of 'em.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Maybe two each of road, mountain and hybrid. With a Class A, maybe they never take off the ones for visiting grandchildren.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Thanks all for the replies to my original post. Having cultured the habit of paying for Escape-level quality, I suppose, I received my 1 UP on return from our Canada trip. Black no less, and apparently a finely tuned build. Looking forward to our first trip with new hybrid bikes - somewhere...
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrek View Post
Thanks all for the replies to my original post. Having cultured the habit of paying for Escape-level quality, I suppose, I received my 1 UP on return from our Canada trip. Black no less, and apparently a finely tuned build. Looking forward to our first trip with new hybrid bikes - somewhere...
Nice! I love mine, but did not opt for black. That will look sharp!
- Bremerton, WA