BioLite FirePIt - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
BioLite FirePIt

Currently camping near Boston on a 7 week fall trip.

We sit near our BioLite FirePit at night, so we can have a fire wherever we want, always sit upwind, and since it's perforated, get heat on our feet (we camp in the shoulder seasons). FYI, we only use the electric fan with wet wood. We've easily had 100 fires in this pit, and for two people the FirePit is perfect.

The FirePit uses half or less wood, can be moved when fully lit, and keeps us nice and toasty. We can make a meal using charcoal and then add wood for an evening fire, plus it easily fits on top of our Coleman stove in the cubby above the LP tanks of our 5.0. This fire pit is fantastic!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #2

One advantage to the BioLite is you can move it anywhere, including underneath the awning in heavy rain to keep yourselves toasty.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
How is it to clean if you cook on it? And how long does it take to cool down so you can pack it up?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
How is it to clean if you cook on it? And how long does it take to cool down so you can pack it up?
Like cleaning any other charcoal/gas grill. To cool down is about the time it takes us to get ready to leave, perhaps 15 minutes. Just dump the wood/coals into the campsite firepit, and after 15 minutes or less it's easily cool enough to touch and put in it's storage bag

We haven't used a campsite fire pit since we purchased it last fall, about 170 camping nights ago. The BioLite is so much more versatile. Many times we have moved the BioLite, while fully burning, to the other side of the camper to get out of the wind. It also keeps your feet nice and toasty, something the tall metal fire rings won't do.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #5

I like that you can move it and cook in it.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My shoe soles with burn marks will disagree with the fire rings not keeping your feet warm remark....
Old 11-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My shoe soles with burn marks will disagree with the fire rings not keeping your feet warm remark....

In the 70's I bought a really cool pair of shoes earlier that day. That night I melted the soles on the stones around the fire pit! I was poor at the time and obviously also slightly dumber than today. Not much dumber, but slightly.

OTOH the radiating heat from the fire is much warmer than the radiating heat from a fire ring, unless of course you decide to have a bonfire going for hours in the ring.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

Went camping for Halloween, dropped into the teens at night, we had a fire nonstop from 3 pm friday to noon on sunday. we bought 7 loads of wood in addition to what we brought. campfire weather is great, whether in a ring or a fire pit or Biolite.....
Old 11-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Went camping for Halloween, dropped into the teens at night, we had a fire nonstop from 3 pm friday to noon on sunday. we bought 7 loads of wood in addition to what we brought. campfire weather is great, whether in a ring or a fire pit or Biolite.....
How does that ring or fire pit work when the wind is in the wrong direction? How does well does it cook steaks when the grate is missing or bent? Many fire pits are installed against bushes or trees. I could go on and on about the fire pits I've seen. We also use half the wood we used before because the wood is concentrated in a smaller area. I will admit it's not for use in large groups though.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #10

We just move our chairs around the fire when the wind shifts and I carry a fire grate for cooking over the fire, which we did not do this trip. There was 8 of us around the fire.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
We just move our chairs around the fire when the wind shifts and I carry a fire grate for cooking over the fire, which we did not do this trip. There was 8 of us around the fire.
Works for you I guess. We haven't had that kind of perfection with concrete and/or steel fixed fire pits.

You know, not everything is for everyone.

Perry
Old 11-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Thanks for posting. I'm looking at the SoloStove Bonfire and the BioLite Firepit. At a recent rally, I was able to observe the SoloStove. Haven't see the BioLite in person. Did you have the opportunity to compare them?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We have had fires many nights at temps like these, and do go through lots of wood. Good thing there are lots of trees around most places we camp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
How does that ring or fire pit work when the wind is in the wrong direction? How does well does it cook steaks when the grate is missing or bent? Many fire pits are installed against bushes or trees. I could go on and on about the fire pits I've seen. We also use half the wood we used before because the wood is concentrated in a smaller area. I will admit it's not for use in large groups though.

Enjoy,

Perry
Like Jim said, we move to the side that is upwind, negating the problem. Besides, I have not camped in many places where the wind blew hard after dark. Heavens, we have up to 20 people around the fire lots of times at our land.

We cook on grills quite a bit, but rarely on the ones that are on campground firepits, though a few are built nice. We also bring a stove and BBQ which work well pressed into service.

I do like the wood saving feature for times we are on the road and need to buy wood where we often only have four to sit around the fire, though even travelling often have the fun of a fire with new friends.

Biolite has done some great research and development. I know a couple people that use their one pot cook stoves, they work great and burn little wood too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Thanks for posting. I'm looking at the SoloStove Bonfire and the BioLite Firepit. At a recent rally, I was able to observe the SoloStove. Haven't see the BioLite in person. Did you have the opportunity to compare them?
Yes. The SoloStove takes up more room to haul, doesn't heat you as well, doesn't work with charcoal to cook, and wouldn't care to move it like we can, and have many times, with our BioLite.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have had fires many nights at temps like these, and do go through lots of wood. Good thing there are lots of trees around most places we camp.

Like Jim said, we move to the side that is upwind, negating the problem. Besides, I have not camped in many places where the wind blew hard after dark. Heavens, we have up to 20 people around the fire lots of times at our land.

We cook on grills quite a bit, but rarely on the ones that are on campground firepits, though a few are built nice. We also bring a stove and BBQ which work well pressed into service.

I do like the wood saving feature for times we are on the road and need to buy wood where we often only have four to sit around the fire, though even travelling often have the fun of a fire with new friends.

Biolite has done some great research and development. I know a couple people that use their one pot cook stoves, they work great and burn little wood too.
I guess we've wanted fires in places where there is a slight wind that can determine if we can use a fire pit that is next to a dropoff, trees, or bushes allowing you to sit on only three or less sides many times.

We have an old Colman two burner stove and a Weber grill that is mainly used as a oven. Steaks, burgers, fish, etc are cooked with charcoal on the BioLIte, and after the food is off, the charcoal grill is dropped and we throw two logs on to start a fire while we eat. We almost never use the electric fan, so it remains mostly unused inside the camper. The fan is nice when we've been sold wet wood.

The BioLite is perfect for two people, works with four, but when you have more people the old fire pit is more appropriate.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Perry: That looks like a nifty and universal fire pit. Thanks for sharing. I can attest to being set up lakeside with a breeze heading right into the trailer. Would have been a mess if I didn’t test the wind and drag the metal fire ring to an appropriate spot on the site.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2006 Travel Supreme Spartan Diesel Pusher
Approved and two thumbs up.

We have this for almost a year and it still working as new.

Portable, movable, easy cook and best for RV.
Stefagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #18

I was sold on one until I read the Amazon reviews- lots of rust reports. Since I live and camp near salt water I'm afraid rust would be a big problem.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Perry: That looks like a nifty and universal fire pit. Thanks for sharing. I can attest to being set up lakeside with a breeze heading right into the trailer. Would have been a mess if I didn’t test the wind and drag the metal fire ring to an appropriate spot on the site.
Can't believe the number of times during our decades of camping that we had to put the fire out because the smoke was directly hitting ours or others picnic table, tent or camper. Most campsite campfire pits cannot be moved since they are buried in the ground or concrete. Thanks for reminding us of another major benefit of being able to move your campfire around your campsite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I was sold on one until I read the Amazon reviews- lots of rust reports. Since I live and camp near salt water I'm afraid rust would be a big problem.
The BioLite is steel and the paint goes in the first few burnings. Ours is rusting, yet we figure it will last us at least 3-4 years. We feel it needs to stay dry when not using. Our BioLite stores in the enclosed front storage compartment of our 5.0 protected from the rain. You can also buy a rain cover from BioLite. If you plan on leaving it outside in the rain when not using, this is not the firepit for you.

In the past year we've used it probably 100 nights of the 198 we camped, and easily saved 1/2 to 1 bundle of wood a night. At $6 a bundle that's $300-600 savings, so it easily paid for itself in the first year, and the convenience factor around the campsite is fantastic.

We also looked at the Solo Stove Bonfire. The Bonfire also has a rusting problem. As I said earlier, once a fire is lit the Bonfire doesn't move around well at all, is awkward for cooking and storage, and is not perforated to heat your feet. We nearly bought one, but felt it was more for use at home. We were hesitant to purchase the BioLite, but it ended up being even better than expected.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #20

Thanks.