Built in fans and light in stock refrigerator - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 20,004
Built in fans and light in stock refrigerator

Over the past 2 weeks we went thru maybe 8 Double D batteries to power those little fans inside the refrigerator that move the cold air around and keeps items filled. Upon return to home I decided to install the Fridge Fix, https://smartrvproducts.com
inside the stock single door unit. It has lights and fans. I had to run2 wires to the rear of the refrigerator via the drain hose for power and ground. Once hooked up the unit lights up the inside which was dark and no more batteries needed. Really nice upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: png examples.png (313.6 KB, 68 views)
__________________

__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Missoula, Montana
Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Over the past 2 weeks we went thru maybe 8 Double D batteries to power those little fans inside the refrigerator that move the cold air around and keeps items filled. Upon return to home I decided to install the Fridge Fix, https://smartrvproducts.com
inside the stock single door unit. It has lights and fans. I had to run2 wires to the rear of the refrigerator via the drain hose for power and ground. Once hooked up the unit lights up the inside which was dark and no more batteries needed. Really nice upgrade.
So how do you know the light turns off when you close the fridge door?

Looks like a worthwhile product.
__________________

__________________
2018 Escape 19: Last Best Escape
2015 Escape 19 (previous): Escape Goats
2011 Escape 17 (previous): SittEscape

Honda Pilot 2011
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 100
Fridge fan/light

Does the fan run continuously? How much power does it use?
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 20,004
There is an on/off switch for the fans/light on the unit. Double fans, move a lot of air. Once foot is shut, they can not be heard. I believe if you mention Escape there is a discount, that is what I was told.
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,300
Our Double D fan batteries lasted near a couple years before replacement. This is with it only running while the fridge was in use. A hardwired one would be simpler though. The lights would be nice in the older fridges, I know I do like that the new ones have a built-in light.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 20,004
The standard new model single door has no light, the up grade double door new model has a light, but no fan, similar to the older RMD8555 we all had before.
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The standard new model single door has no light, the up grade double door new model has a light, but no fan, similar to the older RMD8555 we all had before.
I never upgraded that I know of, and mine has the light. For those that don't, it sure is a nice thing.

I wonder if there is some kind of fan only unit available.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,892
I thought Reace tested the Fridge Fix a couple years ago and discarded it as not worthwhile, although you would get a light. I don't have my door open long enough for the light to be useful. I open the door and grab a beer from the bottom shelf and close the door, within seconds.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,377
I do the same, I camp in the campground, not in the refrigerator. I keep the beer. Pop and water in my cooler with block ice that you can often get at the grocery stores and some gas stations. Our 18 day Osoyoos trip cost us about $12 for ice. Refrigerator worked great the whole time too. I don't mind buying ice, I sold a lot of ice growing up in the gas station and it helped put me through college even if only a little bit. Of course tuition was $104.00 a quarter at Iowa State when I started. Ice was 35 cents a bag, we made a dime.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #10
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I thought Reace tested the Fridge Fix a couple years ago and discarded it as not worthwhile, although you would get a light. I don't have my door open long enough for the light to be useful. I open the door and grab a beer from the bottom shelf and close the door, within seconds.
Yup, he did - right after I ordered mine. Then ETI and Dometic replaced all the old single door units. I never did install my Fridge Fix; it's still on the shelf in the shop. New fridge is running 6-9 degrees in the freezer and 35-39 in the bottom. However, that is with ambient at 80F or below. Did add a styrofoam sheet inside the freezer door, too.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #11
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our Double D fan batteries lasted near a couple years before replacement. This is with it only running while the fridge was in use. A hardwired one would be simpler though. The lights would be nice in the older fridges, I know I do like that the new ones have a built-in light.
I love my little square Double D cube fan. Like Jim, batteries seem to last forever. I only use it when camping and take the batteries out during storage.

The great part, is if the fridge temp starts to rise, I grab a frozen water bottle out of the freezer, put it in the refrigerator and put the fan right next to it. Temp drops fast in the refrigerator. Repeat as necessary
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The great part, is if the fridge temp starts to rise, I grab a frozen water bottle out of the freezer, put it in the refrigerator and put the fan right next to it. Temp drops fast in the refrigerator. Repeat as necessary

Great idea.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #13
m&k
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Trailer: 2017 19' Sold
Posts: 110
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I love my little square Double D cube fan. Like Jim, batteries seem to last forever. I only use it when camping and take the batteries out during storage.

The great part, is if the fridge temp starts to rise, I grab a frozen water bottle out of the freezer, put it in the refrigerator and put the fan right next to it. Temp drops fast in the refrigerator. Repeat as necessary
Donna, Can't find any info under Double D cube fan, where did you purchase? Love the idea! m&k Marilyn
m&k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by m&k View Post
Donna, Can't find any info under Double D cube fan, where did you purchase? Love the idea! m&k Marilyn
They are at most any RV place, or online at Camping World and lots of other places.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...f-switch/38134
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #15
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,589
Thanks Jim. Yep that's it, except mine is oooold and doesn't have a switch. It's a Double D, because that's the size batteries it takes
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
m&k
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Trailer: 2017 19' Sold
Posts: 110
Thank you both!! Need all the help we can get in Arizona, even traveling will be an issue.
m&k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's a Double D, because that's the size batteries it takes
I thought it was that you safely stored it in a bra when not in use.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #18
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,589
Oh man, Diet Coke just shot out my nose!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:24 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fruitland Park, Florida
Trailer: 2014 17B; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6
Posts: 67
I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries for the fan. I have AA to D adaptors which use 3 AA batteries per D cell. Costco sells a Eneloop charger with batteries. I use them in all my stuff which require AAA or AA batteries
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #20
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 20,004
These discussions on batteries are exactly why I switched to the hard wired unit to the trailer battery, both fans and light. I got tired of replacing Donna's batteries on my units and I have 4, 2 in refer, 1 in freezer and a spare of these little fans. The built in model moves a lot more air and uses the trailer for power. Anyone want some free battery fans, you can have them.
__________________

__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×