Camp Chef Ranger II Review - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
We love our Camp Chef - this is a pic of my morning coffee setup at the rally sitting on the REI camp table.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0204.jpg  
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One burner on mine when I first fired it up was burning way to rich. A quick look underneath showed a very easy to adjust airflow valve. Fine tuning the flame is real easy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Not enough heat

hi. I just got the camp chef ranger II and hooked it up to my 2017 escape 19 QC with a 15ft hose. I noticed that the high setting on the stove doesn't seem to pump out that much heat. I am wondering if either the hose is to long or if I set it up incorrectly. the only reason I am asking is because I tried the stove on my propane tank with the regulator that comes with the stove and when lit the high setting seems to be a lot hotter. I was thinking of putting a y connect to run both my BBQ and the stove but I am concerned that it wont work. any suggestions?
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I've used the Y connector for almost two years with the Camp chef and Weber Q. They run much better than attached to a bottle so something is not working as it should.
The Camp chef has an air adjustment on each burner that changes the performance of the burner dramatically. Perhaps that isn't set where you want it to be.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #85

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I've used the Y connector for almost two years with the Camp chef and Weber Q. They run much better than attached to a bottle so something is not working as it should.
The Camp chef has an air adjustment on each burner that changes the performance of the burner dramatically. Perhaps that isn't set where you want it to be.
I copied Greg A's Camp Chef 2 setup exactly... and on high the Camp Chef 2 is an inferno. Crazy amount of heat.

I'm no expert but yes, something must not be right.

good luck

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #86

thanks. I will try mess with it some more and see If I can get it hotter.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #87

Not enough heat

so I may have missed this in earlier posts but I figured out that the hose that the stove comes with is a 5/16 so the best hose to use is a 3/8 not a 1/4 hose. with the 3/8 hose I had way better performance. lots of heat now! thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #88

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
so I may have missed this in earlier posts but I figured out that the hose that the stove comes with is a 5/16 so the best hose to use is a 3/8 not a 1/4 hose. with the 3/8 hose I had way better performance. lots of heat now! thanks for the help everyone.
I would think there is something wrong in your setup. A 1/4" propane hose is capable of delivering 65,000 BTUs, which is way more than the Ranger II can use. I can run both burners on high (rarely do as it produces way more heat than a Coleman stove) as well as a Weber grill at the same time using a 1/4" propane hose.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I have the same problem as Dano. Bought the Ranger 3 burner stove. Hooked it up with the hose supplied by Escape. The burners do light so I am getting propane but the flame is weak. At first I had yellow flame so I adjusted the air control and got a nice blue flame but it's weak. Not at all what I expected. The stove inside the trailer puts out more heat. Something isn't right. Could it be the regulator not putting out enough?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #90

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I have the same problem as Dano. Bought the Ranger 3 burner stove. Hooked it up with the hose supplied by Escape. The burners do light so I am getting propane but the flame is weak. At first I had yellow flame so I adjusted the air control and got a nice blue flame but it's weak. Not at all what I expected. The stove inside the trailer puts out more heat. Something isn't right. Could it be the regulator not putting out enough?
Interesting. My issue with the Ranger II is that the simmer is too hot. Wish that I could dial the heat back on the lowest setting. BTW, I use the low pressure quick connect hose.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Interesting. My issue with the Ranger II is that the simmer is too hot. Wish that I could dial the heat back on the lowest setting. BTW, I use the low pressure quick connect hose.
I'm lucky... using our Ranger 2 - the propane quick connect to the Escape, i find both the simmer perfect, and the high head an inferno..... plus everything inbetween.

This is also how it works for Greg A....I just copied his exact setup.

I wonder what the issues are?

good luck... sorry i dont have info to help.

John
Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #92

Removing the regulator and hose that came with the stove, and hooking directly to the low pressure outlet on the trailer, I too have been able to run both burners full blast, while also using my Spitfire grill. This is with about 15-20' of hose before splitting.

When making coffee, the first thing I always do is to turn on the water to heat. It is rare I get the AeroPress prepped with fresh ground coffee in the time it takes the water to boil. This stove boils very fast.

It also simmers fairly well with the dual outlet rings on the burners. I have had stews, chilli and the like simmering for quite a while, and the heat is super even across the bottom of the pan.

There is obviously something amiss then, if some folks are not getting a strong flame. Possibly the trailer regulator, but that would show on the burners inside too. Not saying anyone here did it, but I know of folks int the past that used the regulator on the outside appliance, which only steps the pressure down too much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
At first I thought this too, that the simmer was too high, and it might be for some things, but as I said above my fears were allayed when using it to do larger pots of stuff and found it was just right, a rapid, even across the pot simmer, and no burning with moderate stirring.

If it is an issue, a heat diffuse could be employed. These also work great on other stoves that do not have as good of flame dispersement.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #94

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
The propane coming through the ETI hose is already low-flow. Is it possible the regulator on the Ranger has not been removed?

Edit: Never Mind. I was too slow on the draw.....

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #95

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Jim, thanks for the idea of using the heat diffuse. I think might work well for me.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #96

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I just got the camp chef ranger II and hooked it up to my 2017 escape 19 QC with a 15ft hose. I noticed that the high setting on the stove doesn't seem to pump out that much heat.
Quote:
so I may have missed this in earlier posts but I figured out that the hose that the stove comes with is a 5/16 so the best hose to use is a 3/8 not a 1/4 hose. with the 3/8 hose I had way better performance. lots of heat now!
Since changing the hose fixed the problem, the problem was the hose... but maybe not the hose diameter. As Bob showed in a earlier thread (Propane Quick Connect Question), some quick connect plugs/nipples (the male side of the connection) are deliberately restricted.

You want the one on the left in this photo from Bob... and with an assembled hose, you would only be able to look in the other end of this fitting, so it might not be obvious if you have the one with the tiny hole on the inside end.

Most quick-connect hoses are built with pipe-thread ends, then the quick-connect ends are screwed into those pipe threads. That means the restricted plug can be easily replaced with a full-flow plug.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
At first I thought this too, that the simmer was too high, and it might be for some things, but as I said above my fears were allayed when using it to do larger pots of stuff and found it was just right, a rapid, even across the pot simmer, and no burning with moderate stirring.

If it is an issue, a heat diffuse could be employed. These also work great on other stoves that do not have as good of flame dispersement.

Great post Jim.... i'm going to order this $7, highly rated one from Amazon, and add it to the Escape kitchen. I hear it is great for making rice, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Diffuser-.../dp/B000HM9ZSY

cool. thanks.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #98

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Great post Jim.... i'm going to order this $7, highly rated one from Amazon, and add it to the Escape kitchen. I hear it is great for making rice, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Diffuser-.../dp/B000HM9ZSY

cool. thanks.
We have that one. Never thought about adding it to the trailer. Nice thing about it is the handle folds up so it takes less room.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #99

Trailer: 2020 19’
There is a blizzard of information here and I get lost. So if I buy the Ranger II stove and already have the Escape QC connection propane hose do I need any other components or connectors.
Videocrafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #100

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videocrafters View Post
There is a blizzard of information here and I get lost. So if I buy the Ranger II stove and already have the Escape QC connection propane hose do I need any other components or connectors.
Yes, you will need to buy a different hose to connect your stove to the trailer's quick-connect.

The Ranger II stove is a low-pressure propane stove and can be easily adapted to run on low pressure propane that comes out of your Escape's propane quick-connect. Low-pressure stoves come with an external regulator that screws onto a regular barbecue tank and reduces the tank propane pressure to the low pressure required by the stove.

Only low-pressure stoves are directly compatible with the low pressure propane that comes out of your Escape's quick connection. High pressure stoves, such as many Coleman stoves, have built-in regulators and are not as easily adapted to run with low pressure propane.

The propane pressure regulator connected to your Escape's propane tanks has already reduced the propane pressure so you will need a different hose to connect your stove to the Escape's quick connection, one that has mating fittings on each end and no regulator.

This hose is advertised as one you probably could use:

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Con.../dp/B000H87M9M

The hose has a 3/8 female flare swivel fitting for connecting to the Camp Chef Stove and a type 250 male quick connect fitting for connecting to the type 250 female quick connect on most RV's. There are many similar hoses available in different lengths.

Let us know if you're successful. Ranger II stoves are very popular with people who own them.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote