Camp Foods - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Thumbs up Camp Foods

I'm having breakfast right now .... hash browns in particular. I just thought I'd point out a good product to pack away in our trailers. Its called "Golden Grill Hashbrown Potatoes" and is sold by Costco. For around $6.00 you get 8 cartons of dehydrated shredded potatoes in what looks like a pint sized milk carton. Each carton provides enough hashbrowns for at least 2 people (carton claims enough for 7 people ... naaaaa I likes me hashbrowns). What I like is that first of all: they taste good, price is pretty inexpensive, no refer required - long term storage, and small durable packages that can be easily stored. Perfect for our trailers.

Bon Appetite!

Tom
Old 11-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Looking for 15b
I am going to be looking for those, love hash browns.Thanks.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Just in time, Tom. My wife just went to Costco, and will check it out. Thanks. (Now, if we could just find an equiv. deal for bacon!).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Breakfast, at noon. Must be a slow work day, Tom.

When I was in high school the restaurant I cooked at used these type hash browns, and rehydrated were always a favourite as you could fry them nice and crispy. Not sure if Costco here has them, but we will look.

Can you still get the Salt and Pepper Pistachios at Costco in the US.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I'm having breakfast right now .... hash browns in particular. I just thought I'd point out a good product to pack away in our trailers. Its called "Golden Grill Hashbrown Potatoes" and is sold by Costco. For around $6.00 you get 8 cartons of dehydrated shredded potatoes in what looks like a pint sized milk carton. Each carton provides enough hashbrowns for at least 2 people (carton claims enough for 7 people ... naaaaa I likes me hashbrowns). What I like is that first of all: they taste good, price is pretty inexpensive, no refer required - long term storage, and small durable packages that can be easily stored. Perfect for our trailers.

Bon Appetite!

Tom
We always have some of them around the house - simple to make, inexpensive and tasty. The hash browns will be part of the menu selection when we are camping.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Can you still get the Salt and Pepper Pistachios at Costco in the US.
We can still get them here in SoCal as well as the salted and shelled. Excellent
EddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Just in time, Tom. My wife just went to Costco, and will check it out. Thanks. (Now, if we could just find an equiv. deal for bacon!).
When I was a kid many, many years ago, our family always took canned items along because we camped in tents or tent campers, no refrigerator. One of my favorites was DAK brand canned bacon. It was not appealing right out of the can but once fried up, very good. Unfortunately, I have not seen DAK canned bacon in years - just their hams which I do not like. There is a Yoder's canned bacon on the market but I have never tried it.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyJ View Post
We can still get them here in SoCal as well as the salted and shelled. Excellent
Lucky you guys. They had them here, but haven't carried them in a few years. Tom left me most of a bag at the 2016 rally, and we picked up 3 bags when at the Fall NOG last year, but now I must wait until my next trip south.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Bon Appetite!

Tom
Hi Tom .Going to check out our next run at Costco . We had hash browns this morning , same type just made by Hungry Jack . Don't know how they get 7 servings , we divided them up to 4 . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0231a.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:

Bon Appetite!

Tom

They are not only great fried up with onions but also light and last forever, we don’t travel without them [emoji6]

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
They are not only great fried up with onions but also light and last forever, we don’t travel without them [emoji6]

Cheers
Doug
Hi: PGDriver... Do they make dehydrated "Poutine"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Weird Don't know why picture is sideways Pat
I believe this is something particular to Apple, is it not? Maybe if you view in an editor first, rotate it, save, and then post it might work out fine.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: PGDriver... Do they make dehydrated "Poutine"? Alf

Hi Alf you bet just add dehydrated gravey [emoji41]

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi Alf you bet just add dehydrated gravey [emoji41]

Cheers
Doug
Hi: PGDriver... And dehydrated cheese curds? Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

Cheers
Doug
2X on the Golden Grill Hashbrown potatoes. I don't shop at Costco, but I believe these are the ones they sell. In any case, I've tried a couple different brands and these were the best. I get them from eBay .
Old 11-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'll eat the shredded potatoes, if I have to , but my buddy and I always have cans of whole or sliced potatoes on hand to fry up in bacon grease.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
2X on the Golden Grill Hashbrown potatoes. I don't shop at Costco, but I believe these are the ones they sell. In any case, I've tried a couple different brands and these were the best. I get them from eBay .
Cheaper on Amazon, if you have Prime: Golden Grill Russet Hashbrown Potatoes(56 total servings) 8 count pack
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'll eat the shredded potatoes, if I have to , but my buddy and I always have cans of whole or sliced potatoes on hand to fry up in bacon grease.
Hopefully you have enough bacon grease leftover to dip your toast in. Double yum.

None of this dehydrated shredded stuff for me. I boil my real potatoes, mash them and then pan fry until golden brown. Yummy, especially with lots of ketchup.

Although I just pointed the post out to my wife who promptly said that they'd be really convenient for the trailer and added them to her camping list of foods. Oh well, I'll probably like them as much as fried mashed potatoes. If not, I'll just add more ketchup. My solution for making almost anything taste better.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
When I was a kid many, many years ago, our family always took canned items along because we camped in tents or tent campers, no refrigerator. One of my favorites was DAK brand canned bacon.
A current product which might be considered an alternative is Maple Leaf Ready Crisp Bacon, or an equivalent of another brand. It's lighter than canned would be, but still requires no refrigeration (until it is opened) and is very quick to heat up (you don't need to really cook it).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
None of this dehydrated shredded stuff for me. I boil my real potatoes, mash them and then pan fry until golden brown. Yummy, especially with lots of ketchup.
You had me salivating up to the point you mentioned ketchup, then I threw up a little bit in the back of my throat. I love fried mashed potatoes, fried in butter or bacon grease to a golden brown. A bit of pepper, but that's it.