Campfire In A Can - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA for September 8, 2017 delivery
Campfire In A Can

The Campfire In A Can - Portable Propane Fire Pit for Backyard & Camping web site always has "currently out of stock" on their propane campfire. Over the past couple of months I've sent inquiries via their "contact us" but never hear back from them. Are they out of business? Does anyone know of a retailer that sells the Campfire In A Can?
Lug Nut & Torque Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug Nut & Torque Wench View Post
The Campfire In A Can - Portable Propane Fire Pit for Backyard & Camping web site always has "currently out of stock" on their propane campfire. Over the past couple of months I've sent inquiries via their "contact us" but never hear back from them. Are they out of business? Does anyone know of a retailer that sells the Campfire In A Can?
It does not provide much reassurance that you are getting a good product if the supplier is non-responsive to your inquiries. There are many other options out there for propane fire bowls. Why not go elsewhere? I bought my Outland Fire Bowl from Costco.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We love our Outland. While we could adapt it to use the quick connect, we find it easier and more versatile to use a separate 1.5 Gallon tank along with the supplied hose. Allows us to set up the fire further away from the trailer when we want to. Got both on Amazon.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a "genuine" campfire in a can. Weve had it coming on three years. It works well and has held up fine. Rita bought it direct from the inventor. He sells out around the holidays I know. That said, I'd be hesitant to order another without better assurance that they're still in business. Like a lot of things that come along and then go away, I can only be glad that I have one and it works well. If I have a problem in the future i will deal with it then. Gas consumption is pretty reasonable at about 35 or 40 % throttle. Wide open it's too much flame and not that attractive. It puts out considerable heat especially in my daughter's big Clam. Nice on a cold rainy night.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We have a "genuine" campfire in a can. Weve had it coming on three years. It works well and has held up fine. Rita bought it direct from the inventor. He sells out around the holidays I know. That said, I'd be hesitant to order another without better assurance that they're still in business. Like a lot of things that come along and then go away, I can only be glad that I have one and it works well. If I have a problem in the future i will deal with it then. Gas consumption is pretty reasonable at about 35 or 40 % throttle. Wide open it's too much flame and not that attractive. It puts out considerable heat especially in my daughter's big Clam. Nice on a cold rainy night.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I'd be very hesitant to light a campfire in a "can"!!! I did spend a very stormy Alabama night in the "Ladies loo" once. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #6

Trailer: pondering.....
the web says they apparently went out of business...perhaps they are reorganizing their business...maybe folks in BC can affirm that...there is a retailer online that lists it but does not specifically say it is in stock or out of stock...unless it uses off the shelf parts future maintenance could be a problem...ie the gas burner probably being the most important... then even if you found one it may be a EOL purchase...
looks like the product has several lower cost alternatives..maybe good or not so good
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ane

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... I'd be very hesitant to light a campfire in a "can"!!! I did spend a very stormy Alabama night in the "Ladies loo" once. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
You got your ANE group : propANE, methANE, butANE. And all them guys, any of which are dangerous around an open flame. The old outhouse at grandma's was pretty scary in its own right. I've seen two holers, three holers, one four holer and one two story job in my life. And one where a raccoon hung out with his body sway backed over the small hole where the aromatic breeze cooled his belly on a hot summer day. All in my home state of Iowa. You'll see the castles in Spain through your window pane, back in your own backyard.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will check back after the holidays to see if they re-stock. Meanwhile, I'll check out some of those other options suggested. My 5.0 TA won't be ready until September 8, 2017, so I've got some time.

I was updating my Build Sheet yesterday (12/12/16), and asked Tammy when the new 5.0 TA was going to be unveiled? She said hopefully the first model will be finished by "mid-week next week, hopefully." I can't wait to see it.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We love our Outland. While we could adapt it to use the quick connect, we find it easier and more versatile to use a separate 1.5 Gallon tank along with the supplied hose. Allows us to set up the fire further away from the trailer when we want to. Got both on Amazon.
Another endorsement for the Outland! We adapted for quick connect and use a second 12' hose for when we want to get more remote. Works well for us on low.....

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We have been quite happy with the Camco "Little Red Campfire". The Little Red, the Weber BBQ and the dual fuel Coleman stove fit nicely in the front storage hatch of the 5.0 TA with room to spare.

Some of the larger propane campfires can really go through the propane. Nice to have during burn bans or hanging out under the awning on a rainy evening. We use ours with a dedicated 20# tank and with multi week trips have never emptied the tank. Scott

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19'
the guy behind campfire in a can started a kickstarter project and spent all the money and call it quit.. so yeah sounded about right he isn't responsive
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
the guy behind campfire in a can started a kickstarter project and spent all the money and call it quit.. so yeah sounded about right he isn't responsive
I also have one of the originals and it is a fine product. But as stated above, the owner tried to expand his product line by building a campfire in a can that would burn either wood or propane and apparently over extended himself financially. Don't know if he is trying to reorganize but I doubt it as it has been a very long time since the company stopped delivering product. My guess is that the CIC and the dodo bird have been consigned to their respective places in history.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I also have one of the originals and it is a fine product. But as stated above, the owner tried to expand his product line by building a campfire in a can that would burn either wood or propane and apparently over extended himself financially. Don't know if he is trying to reorganize but I doubt it as it has been a very long time since the company stopped delivering product. My guess is that the CIC and the dodo bird have been consigned to their respective places in history.
I think he went on to do something else with the money he got and has no intention on making anything or even continuing the original product line. Which brings an interesting question.. even if the multi-fuel campfire in a can doesn't work, why isn't he continuing the original product line?
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
we opted for the Camp Chef. cheaper and it fits in the side storage door.

steve

Camp Chef Propane Gas Fire Ring-GCLOG - The Home Depot
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:07 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
I think he went on to do something else with the money he got and has no intention on making anything or even continuing the original product line. Which brings an interesting question.. even if the multi-fuel campfire in a can doesn't work, why isn't he continuing the original product line?
That is a good question which I cannot answer and apparently he will not as he is unresponsive. Just guessing, but it could be that his sales were lagging. Compared to some of the competition, the CIC was priced rather high, IMHO.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post

steve

Thanks, Steve. That's what I'm looking for. Small, portable, stowable.

JR is Lug Nut
Nylene is the lovely Torque Wench, who knows just how to tighten up Lug Nut!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:

steve

We've had the same unit for years and it has been great. Have it connected via quick connect now with a long hose.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Here's useful comparison chart of portable fire pits. Campfire Compare - Reviews Of Portable Propane Campfires & Fire Pits

We have had a Firedancer for many years and I'm a huge fan. The lid that covers it for storage makes packing easy as it's well contained. It's also lighwieght and the hose stores nicely. It doesn't get hot underneath and so can be burned on grass or even a picnic table. We have used one of these under a popup canopy in pouring rain with no issue (oregon coast). I've seen a few folks put fire glass chips in these instead of the included vermiculite but it increases the weight substantially and if it gets kicked over or turned during transport it would be a mess. We have replaced the vermiculite a couple of times over the years (garden-type works just fine).

If you chose one of these be sure to spring for the additional ceramic log... they increase heat out put substantially. While the Fire dancer is a little more expensive than some other models - it's well made. This is the most used item we take camping - can't say enough good.
this: https://www.amazon.com/Dancer-Portab.../dp/B000F78IVG

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Here's useful comparison chart of portable fire pits. Campfire Compare - Reviews Of Portable Propane Campfires & Fire Pits
they don't even include the Camp Chef that we have and LOVE. It is high output, lava rock and very compact. The legs fold in so it fits in quite small storage. We added a quick release so we could use it with the onboard propane on our Escape. we also put the regulator on a QR so we could use it without the trailer. Even with the QR it was quite reasonable. The one gripe I have is the smallish lava rocks. I will eventually replace these with bigger rocks. The whole unit does take 10 minutes or so to warm up completely and then it really throws the heat!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
they don't even include the Camp Chef that we have and LOVE. It is high output, lava rock and very compact. The legs fold in so it fits in quite small storage. We added a quick release so we could use it with the onboard propane on our Escape. we also put the regulator on a QR so we could use it without the trailer.

steve
Seems like a nice small unit you have. Do you have to know the BTU output for the unit? Did it work out of the box with the Escape propane Quick Connect or did you have to purchase some time of connection? Looking for something that is reasonably priced and that works with no modification with the Quick Connect escape option.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote