Clam traveler pop up shelter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Clam traveler pop up shelter

While in Tennessee with the wet weather, several owners were using a new style "Clam pop up shelter" which protects the occupants from both weather and bugs. The size I observed there was the large 12' x 12' shelter which was big enough for a picnic table and 6-8 people. The ease of pulling on straps makes set up easy. Although not observed, tear down is supposed to be the same. I ordered one upon coming home and was anxious to try it before Osoyoos. The one I purchased came from Gander Mountain and was in a large 6' box which was advertised to weigh 40 lbs. I removed the shelter and for 3 hours three os us tried to erect the item. It appeared the model I received was packed inside out and impossible to use. I returned it to the store for a refund and went to Amazon and ordered "Clam Traveler", a smaller version, 6' x 6" with a weight of about 20 lbs. The box was a lot smaller than the larger model. http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporati...pop-up+shelter
It arrived yesterday and upon removal I pushed the top up and the 4 sides out and it was up in less than a minute. Tear down was just as easy and it was back in the box in a minute. At 6' square, about the size of the pickup bed but wider, there is room for 2 chairs and a small table. Perfect for pets. There are also additional rain panels that can be used to keep it completely dry. Green and tan colors.
For camping I recommend the traveler smaller model, for home gatherings the larger Clam would be better, but will need help to put up.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

Trailer: none
We just purchased the Clam 1660 screen shelter. Put it up inside the house...took less than 5 minutes including figuring out how to position it for easy setup. Straight out of the box it was upside down for effective setup but once we got it turned over it went up like a dream. Down in probably 2 minutes. The only downside is the size when folded...should just barely fit across the back bench inside the Escape. An size in-between ours(140"x140") and the 6x6 would be perfect.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Jim, like you after seeing them in Townsend, we are thinking about purchasing one of the Clams. I am curious if the model that you received from Gander Mountain was a Clam or their house brand? The people that we spoke to in Townsend, did not have any issue putting theirs up. I think that the tan color would be cooler, but from what I have read, the side panel are currently only available in green.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #4

We ordered ours from Casa.com. There was a 15% welcome discount so the final price was $221, no extra charge for shipping. Came within 4 days.
Sold both 7/22
Old 04-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I am considering a shelter like this or having ETI install the screen room. There are pros and cons to both.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

We have the screen room but have never put it up. We were drawn to the Clam because it is quick and easy....we worry about having wind damage the awning unless we close it up every time we are gone from the trailer and at night....kind of a pain. NM and the SouthWest in general have frequent and strong winds...even when not predicted. A major pro of the Clam is that it is REALLY quick to close down and even if we don't get it closed it can probably withstand winds better than the awning. Even if it doesn't, the trailer is not damaged. We'll see how it works out when we use it this summer...
Sold both 7/22
Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As just posted on another thread, I have only set up my Clam screenhouse to try once. It took less than 2 minutes to set up, though no stakes or guys. Excellent quality.

As mentioned, I will do a review once I have used it in real life situations.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2015
After reading about the clam shelter on this forum, I purchased the large size myself. I've used it now on 3 camping trips and am very satisfied with it overall. As everyone agrees, set up and tear down are very easy. It's fairly light weight and well constructed. It is, however, fairly large (nearly 6 feet long) when completely folded up so I keep it on the tug. I also purchased the accessory pack with 3 solid sides, useful to block wind, sun, or driving rain (if you properly predict wind direction). My kids are all jealous and ready to give up their easy-ups for this shelter.
wolfnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Here's wirecutter's take on canopies:
The Best Canopy Tent for Camping and Picnics | The Wirecutter

I still have my 25 year old ez up. It has been to many sacred places and has marrs to show it.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Sounds like wire cutter did their homework, but to me they weighted their recommendations too heavily on the color. The Clam is far far easier and quicker to set up, and the ground skirting material means less bugs. It's built better too.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2015
Agree. But wire cutter is also right about the size of the clam. I'm happy with the clam but the Coleman one definitely seems worth checking out.
wolfnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Clam also makes a smaller size.....
Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Sounds like wire cutter did their homework, but to me they weighted their recommendations too heavily on the color. The Clam is far far easier and quicker to set up, and the ground skirting material means less bugs. It's built better too.
In the comments section many experienced broken poles and bad customer service with Coleman. Most, if not all, comments seemed to be negative. That's enough to keep me away. Coleman may need to work on the customer service relations.

Some other comments had to do with products not included in the review.

I find reading and relying on reviews can lead me to "analysis paralysis".
Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
You've got that right!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Plus I think it a given that unhappy consumers are more likely to post a review than those who are happy with a product and just move on with their lives.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
That's enough to keep me away. Coleman may need to work on the customer service relations.
Coleman is a lot like Dometic, with way too broad of a product line, and far from top quality with any of them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Plus I think it a given that unhappy consumers are more likely to post a review than those who are happy with a product and just move on with their lives.
So true. Many years ago I worked in the hotel industry. One of the things they preached was that a guest who had a negative experience would tell 10 people on average. A guest with a positive experience would tell maybe 1 or 2.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Jim, like you after seeing them in Townsend, we are thinking about purchasing one of the Clams. I am curious if the model that you received from Gander Mountain was a Clam or their house brand? The people that we spoke to in Townsend, did not have any issue putting theirs up. I think that the tan color would be cooler, but from what I have read, the side panel are currently only available in green.
We have the Gander Mountain version called a Gazelle - it is virtually the same as a Clam just different label and color.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We just bought one -- our daughter loves hers and I convinced Terry that we could find a place to store it while we're traveling -- We read that a lot of them are delivered inside out and therefore hard to open the first time but ours came packaged right and we got it set up really fast.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #20

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Anyone know if there is any where in Canada to buy the Clam Shelters? Americans get all the good stuff
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote