clubs with services such as insurance, warranties, roadside - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #1

clubs with services such as insurance, warranties, roadside

I have been looking at Escapees and Good Sam to see if either might be good for insurance as well as roadside assistance and even an extended warranty. In addition, they certainly have lots of parks for passing through or staying forever.

Who has used their services and liked them or not? Anyone have insurance through GMAC with Good Sam and made any claim? Or used their roadside assistance to tow a trailer? Or been to their big meets and had workshops? Attended an Escapade? Are there other such organizations?

Thank you for relating any personal experiences on what these groups provide, or any stories on insurance not to get or the like.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Re: clubs with services such as insurance, warranties, roadside

I signed up for Good Sam in '09 when we got our trailer. I found that it's easy to find good places to stay without using GS, and that better insurance could be had by shopping around on my own. I have AAA for roadside assistance,but now you have to buy up to their highest level to get the trailer covered, too. I passed on that level and bought a remote pressure sensing system and good bottle jack for the trailer tires, instead. I dropped Good Sam after that year, primarily because of the unending stream of junk mail I received from them attempting to sell me all manner of stuff. And, you're not going to need any form of extended warranty with an Escape.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Bruce, we also have AAA. Couldn't get a sample policy out of them or tell what all they cover. I was looking at the clubs because I could imagine someone with AAA showing up and refusing to tow the trailer. The policy would cover damage but doesn't mean they would necessarily tow it right then. I was thinking that an RV club arrangement would have towing companies who expect to tow the trailer, too.

I have had the tire pressure sensors on cars and was thinking about the same for the trailer as you have. I had bigger things in mind for the roadside worries (we newbies worry about bigger catastrophes!) than a tire as they will change that on the spot. The sensors are great though. (What is even better on the car is a sonic sensor for backing up. I'd like that on a trailer but may get a camera instead.)

The Escape warranty is two years I believe. I was referring to warranties that would start after that. Maybe extended warranty is not the right term.
If someone buys a used Escape within the two years, I would suppose that they get the rest of the warranty period but I haven't asked.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that AAA covers damage as it doesn't but I wonder if a garage they send would balk at towing the trailer.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Hi Cathy,
Well our paths on the road to purchase cross again! I have spent this week getting quotes on insurance and also considering the roadside assistance aspect as well. I have tried State Farm (they have my cars and house), Explorer RV agency, Foremost, Good Sam which is GMAC, Progressive, Geico and maybe some others. My decision is between Good Sam and Explorer RV (I believe that are quoting National Interstate). These last two are fairly equal although with GS I need to join the club and purchase their roadside assistance separately. Explorer RV is a little more expensive but I think the coverage is a bit more comprehensive. Just make sure if you get any roadside assistance from anyone that is covers towing for both the TV AND trailer. Most of the above have on line quotes systems so it is easy to get started. And you most certainly will be startled to see the price differences for (mostly) the same insurance. It does pay to shop around. Also remember that I am being quoted TX rates so yours will most certainly be different.

My trailer "carport" is to be installed in the morning and I leave soon to go get the trailer. Getting excited except for the drive!

2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #6

Cathy- I had a blowout on a trailer tire in Sept., and AAA was firm that they would touch the tire "this ONE TIME only without the highest level of membership", and that I absolutely would have to have the highest level of membership for them to touch it in the future. My car&trailer insurance (AARP Hartford) will have my trailer towed, and my AAA will have my car towed in case of major problems in the future.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #7

Hi, sjnuss in TX! I bet you can't wait to leave and get ahold of that trailer!

I will have to look into Explorer RV. Good Sam uses Allied, Progressive and GMAC but signing up by phone is a little irksome. Foremost is one used by Escapees but I am not seeing reviews that look good. So I take it you will have some kind of temporary insurance for pick-up and have not made up your mind.

Bruce, I can appreciate the junk mail problem as I see that these clubs are into so many things so I can imagine all of the stuff they send out.

Our AAA is $115 a year or maybe $110 which I think is the highest level. I will have to check if that covers a trailer. Maybe you are paying less? Or it could even be different by state I guess.

But I was mixing up the coverage on the trailer with the roadside assistance as we also had quotes from AAA for trailer insurance coverage. We have had their roadside for a long time but I might like to change to try out a club.
I never even thought of AARP. Another one to check out. I take it you like them. So you are using your regular coverage for towing the trailer instead of roadside. I didn't even consider that. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Since I am leaving Monday I will decide today on the insurance. A call to the agent is all it takes to get the process going/complete. They will bind the vehicle this way. Progressive was very high and they did not have Escape listed in their database. They kept trying to tell me I had a KZ (brand) Escape (model) until she looked it up on line. Explorer will provide a very comprehensive policy with a discounted membership to Coach Net, an RV roadside club that seems to get better PR than does the GS one.

Best Shopping,
Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #9

HI Cathy - AARP Hartford beat the pants off of my old ins. co. - 21st Century, whom we'd been with for years - when it came to rates. I changed when we got the trailer. And AAA just this year instituted a third, new, still-higher membership level; that's the one which covers vehicle + trailer. We're paying about what you are, and the new level was about $80 more, as I recall.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #10

Cathy,
We recently switched all our vehicles to AARP Hartford Insurance and saved a lot of money. We camp at StateParks most of the time and sometimes camp at Good Sam or Escapees Parks. Now Good Sam and Camping World cards have joined into one card. We camp mostly in the PNW attending such events as the Oregon Gathering in Bandon,Oregon each July. Escape Trailer Industries go each year to Bandon.
Good luck,