Coleman Gladiator stove - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I have the Spitfire 180 grill (with low pressure valve) which works very well with the low pressure ETI quick connect. Does anyone know of a portable burner which would also work with the low pressure ETI quick connect?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just ordered this. Have a Camp Chef oven and it has an adapter to be able to easily use the trailer's quick connect. Called Camp Chef to verify same for the grill. $167 after July 4th discount from Overtons.com.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I have the Spitfire 180 grill (with low pressure valve) which works very well with the low pressure ETI quick connect. Does anyone know of a portable burner which would also work with the low pressure ETI quick connect?
You could probably modify any Coleman stove to operate on low pressure. It would involve cutting the regulator off of the solid tube that attaches to the stove at one end and to the propane bottle at the other end. If the tube is the correct size, it could be threaded and a male QD fitting installed. If not, it could likely be brazed in by someone proficient at brazing. But, and here's the big question.....unless you use a stove a lot is it worth the bother. Unlike grills, camp stoves use relatively little propane. A small one pound disposable cylinder goes a long way when used exclusively with a stove, and there is no hose to trip over. If you use the stove extensively, then converting it might make more sense.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Just ordered this. Have a Camp Chef oven and it has an adapter to be able to easily use the trailer's quick connect. Called Camp Chef to verify same for the grill. $167 after July 4th discount from Overtons.com.

Does anyone else have this grill? We are looking at this grill and are wondering if this will fit in one of the compartments that you can access outside on the 5.0 TA?
Thank you!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You could probably modify any Coleman stove to operate on low pressure. It would involve cutting the regulator off of the solid tube that attaches to the stove at one end and to the propane bottle at the other end. If the tube is the correct size, it could be threaded and a male QD fitting installed. If not, it could likely be brazed in by someone proficient at brazing. But, and here's the big question.....unless you use a stove a lot is it worth the bother. Unlike grills, camp stoves use relatively little propane. A small one pound disposable cylinder goes a long way when used exclusively with a stove, and there is no hose to trip over. If you use the stove extensively, then converting it might make more sense.
Weber baby Q is a great little barbecue bought again . Camping just use little bottles . At home have my original Weber Q hooked up to a large tank . Also if a lot of people over have a larger barbecue .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Does anyone else have this grill? We are looking at this grill and are wondering if this will fit in one of the compartments that you can access outside on the 5.0 TA?
Thank you!
Web site says it's 15"x28"x10". Just measured, it will not fit in the optional passenger side storage, it will however easily fit in the front storage.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You could probably modify any Coleman stove to operate on low pressure. It would involve cutting the regulator off of the solid tube that attaches to the stove at one end and to the propane bottle at the other end. If the tube is the correct size, it could be threaded and a male QD fitting installed. If not, it could likely be brazed in by someone proficient at brazing. But, and here's the big question.....unless you use a stove a lot is it worth the bother.
I have looked extensively through gas fitting suppliers, and there is nothing that will thread on to the proprietary Coleman threads. The pipe size is not appropriate for threading with a common pipe thread either. One though I had was to see if it was malleable enough for a flared fitting. I do really like your idea of brazing on a regular sized fitting, and may just look into that.

I really like the quick connect, and would love to just make a tee at the end to have both my BBQ, and my Coleman stove, both hooked up sided by side. As it is now, I have had two hoses always hooked up, one to the low pressure, and one back to the tanks. I have been using the low pressure for 6 years now, and the high pressure for nearly 20, and have never had an issue with tripping over the hose. I do usually run them under my patio mat when possible.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

That looks like the Camp Chef MVP. It has a separate regulator on the hose (or short pipe, using the hardware for a one-pound cylinder), and the regulator appears to the standard low-pressure type, so it makes sense that it can be run on a low-pressure supply from the trailer with a hose change.

Unfortunately, the connection of the propane to the grill doesn't look like anything standard. A hose would be needed that will fit the grill on one end and with a fitting for a low-pressure quick-connect on the other end. I don't see one in the accessories listing; there is a Q&A entry which says to combine the RV connection hose with part SPG25-18, and to look in Camp Chef for that part. That page doesn't exist, and their Hoses & Regulators page doesn't include that part.

The Hoses & Regulators page does have a Camp Oven & MVP Regulator (#SPG25-17). It looks like one could buy that, remove the regulator, and have the required pipe thread to special connection adapter to make a low pressure hose. Since it works for the Camp Oven, maybe it works for stoves? If the stove doesn't have a control on it, a separate control like that used for a Spitfire would be needed.

Is anyone - maybe Jim Bennett - up for ordering a SPG25-17 to see if it fits a Coleman stove?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #29

Hi Carl- it is the MVP; will verify it works or not with same adapter their oven uses next week.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Thanks padlin for the dimensions!
Hard to buy a grill sight unseen when we don't have our trailer yet! Been struggling with which stove to buy. The Camp Chef MVP looks like a nice one but reading these posts about the ability to adapt it to low pressure makes it more difficult to make a decision. We also were looking at the Spitfire and tried to order it. Although we got a pretty good price the taxes were so high and then shipping..... And then we had no idea if it would store anywhere easily. We've been thinking about waiting until we pickup the trailer but then we won't have a grill the first few nights. Decisions...decisions!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Charlie & Lucy... We bought the "Jim Bennett" approved Spitfire 180 for our 5.0TA, not knowing if it would fit!!! Had to do a Reace suggested mod at Osoyoos in 2014 to make it fit. Needed 1/2" taller opening in forward storage compartment. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140604_153001.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #32

If you go to the link Carl provided you see the regulator. The end that twists onto the grill is the same piece without the rest of the regulator they include to attach to the hose Escape includes with the Quick Connect option. So it isn't "standard", but it definitely works. I'll end up with a spare because it is the same one that also came with camp chef oven I bought over a year ago.

Am fairly sure this will fit into the front storage box- another plus.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Thanks padlin for the dimensions!
Hard to buy a grill sight unseen when we don't have our trailer yet! Been struggling with which stove to buy. The Camp Chef MVP looks like a nice one but reading these posts about the ability to adapt it to low pressure makes it more difficult to make a decision. We also were looking at the Spitfire and tried to order it. Although we got a pretty good price the taxes were so high and then shipping..... And then we had no idea if it would store anywhere easily. We've been thinking about waiting until we pickup the trailer but then we won't have a grill the first few nights. Decisions...decisions!
Charlie and Lucy, a much cheaper alternative for use with the low pressure quick connect is the Weber Q. It stores easily, works well, and many forum members are happy with it. You can probably pick one up locally.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Is anyone - maybe Jim Bennett - up for ordering a SPG25-17 to see if it fits a Coleman stove?
I really doubt it would fit, with the Coleman being a proprietary thread. Besides, no regulator or control is needed when connecting to the low-pressure trailer system, as the pressure is already regulated, and the stove has the volume controls built in.
Quote:
We've been thinking about waiting until we pickup the trailer but then we won't have a grill the first few nights. Decisions...decisions!
I think this is the wisest decision. Lots of great meals to cook on the stovetop while you plan what to use, and how it will fit. I love the Spitfire, and saw firsthand Alf's handiwork, showing it can be fit into the front storage on the 5.0 TA. The Weber is a nice grill too, I have used a few of them. Porta Chef makes a good unit for the price too, but most are quite large. I very much prefer the Dickinson grills. Better built, and will definitely last longer, if not almost forever.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Price for the Spitfire 180 was $430 CA from the factory and less than $300 CA on sale at Steveston Marine so I would look around.
I've got the Spitfire and a small Weber. I'm not as sold on the Dickinson as Bennett.
I had problems controlling the heat. They sent me a new regulator and I'm still not sure I can keep it low enough. If you're cooking with the lid up, the lid handle will require oven mitts, it gets so hot.
Getting replacement parts for the Weber when on the road will be a lot easier. Weber and Broil King have a distribution agreement so you can find parts all over North America.
And, if you're into that, the Weber lid comes in various colours. Might be able to match your graphics.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Which model of the Weber Q do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Which model of the Weber Q do you guys recommend? Thanks.
We have the 1000 first it is the smaller one . The new one changed to 100 however it is the same as the 1000. It is plenty big for us and really don't need the side tables etc. the nice change on the newer, is the grills , cast iron, can be separated and one side you can get a griddle which we did and just put extra grill which is cast iron away . Now you can get your lid in colors too. Nicest grill have ever had that's why have 2 . 1st was 149 . Second was 169 . Oh I think the bigger Q also has higher btu's which in a little grill don't need . Hope this helps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Yes, absolutely helps a lot, thanks Pat!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have the 1000 first it is the smaller one . The new one changed to 100 however it is the same as the 1000. It is plenty big for us and really don't need the side tables etc. the nice change on the newer, is the grills , cast iron, can be separated and one side you can get a griddle which we did and just put extra grill which is cast iron away . Now you can get your lid in colors too. Nicest grill have ever had that's why have 2 . 1st was 149 . Second was 169 . Oh I think the bigger Q also has higher btu's which in a little grill don't need . Hope this helps . Pat
Old 07-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #39

I love Weber products, but at 20.5 X 27 X 23.5 where do you stow the Q1000?
Old 07-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Weber Q stows in the aisle of the 17B, I also have a 10 lb propane tank ( in a box ) and it is the first thing out of the trailer at camp and last thing in. The Dickinson also stows in the aisle, but is not as stable on its own feet, which is another concern. I don't have room for them anywhere else. I'm still deciding which one gets to travel and which stays home.