Coleman Gladiator stove - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Coleman Gladiator stove

While in Tennessee I tried my new Coleman stove bought on Amazon-

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Compan...perflame+stove

it did not do well. The flame was hard to adjust, it was too high/hot and the food burned. I contacted coleman upon returning to home, then sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one. I tried it last last, the flame was adjustable from high to low. Comes with 2 griddles, I'm a happy camper now. Packed it up and stowed away in BlackJack.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Jim,
Is your new stove compatible with the propane quick connect on the trailer?
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
Jim,
Is your new stove compatible with the propane quick connect on the trailer?
Not Jim, but I'll chime in. The Coleman Stove uses the propane cylinders, which are high pressure. The Propane quick connect on the trailer is low pressure, because the pressure is reduced at the tanks by the regulator. So no, not compatible. You could run such a stove directly from the trailer's cylinders, but you'd need to disconnect the tank from the trailer, and connect a high pressure hose and adapter. That's not 'quick connect'.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #4

Thanks Robert!
Old 05-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Or you could install what is essentially a T-valve to connect the Coleman to your big propane tanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert Propane Modification.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Coleman Gladiator stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Or you could install what is essentially a T-valve to connect the Coleman to your big propane tanks...

Yep, that accomplishes the same thing. As long as the stove gets high pressure instead of low, you're good.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Some propane appliances can be modified to remove the regulator so they can run on low pressure. I haven't tried it yet, but I have seen posts on the forum of people who have done it with a Weber Q1000. The key is that the appliance needs to have the regulator separate from the valve.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

I have found one I like from cabelas, but still looking around. I'll have to make up my mind soon I guess.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Although the Gladiator has an unusual style of burner, if the propane control parts are like other typical lightweight portable camp stoves - including every Coleman - it cannot readily be converted to use low-pressure propane. See any of the several previous discussion of stoves and low-pressure operation for the details.

Coleman seems to have neither manuals nor parts for this series of stove on their websites (U.S. or Canada). Jim, does this stove have the usual external regulator/control of typical Coleman stoves?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No external regulator but it does mention "bulk hose hook up" in it's description.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would bet that it does have an exterior regulator built into the propane connector, like every one I have ever seen of theirs. The bulk hose will hook up to any larger bottle, like the 20 lb ones on the trailer.

Coleman has a bunch of stoves with these burners now, it seems to be the way they are going. Nice to not have to use the side panels which restrict pot size in many cases. The last 6 on Coleman Canada's site use these burners, but the Gladiator does not seem to be mentioned.
http://www.colemancanada.ca/Products/0901/propane
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No external regulator but it does mention "bulk hose hook up" in it's description.
Thanks Jim, but see below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would bet that it does have an exterior regulator built into the propane connector, like every one I have ever seen of theirs.
I agree. After asking, I saw on the Hyperflame product series page and in a review article that it does have that typical fitting for the cylinder. With basic stoves that fitting acts as both regulator and flame control (it has a knob); in stove and grills like this one with two separate flame controls on the body of the stove this fitting has just a regulator in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Some propane appliances can be modified to remove the regulator so they can run on low pressure. I haven't tried it yet, but I have seen posts on the forum of people who have done it with a Weber Q1000. The key is that the appliance needs to have the regulator separate from the valve.
As with other lightweight camp stoves that have a regulator out there on the end of the tube, it would require creative plumbing to convert it to low-pressure operation because the attachment of the tube to the stove is not a common fitting type... and that's assuming that the Coleman regulator puts out the standard low pressure (11"WC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The bulk hose will hook up to any larger bottle, like the 20 lb ones on the trailer.
Yes, the "bulk hose hook up" will just be a high-pressure propane extension hose with the same fitting type as the top of a disposable cylinder on the stove end, and likely a QCC-1 (standard fitting to attach to 20-pound "barbecue" tanks) on the other. This can be used with just about any appliance designed for the small (one pound) disposable propane cylinders.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Wow, a lot of info on grills. Can anyone recommend a portable grill or burner combo that works with the quick connect?
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Dickinson Spitfire 180 has option that will allow it to be used on low pressure hose.
I prefer to use a separate 10 lb ( or 5 lb. tank ) so I can use the grill anywhere.
DickinsonMarine.com - Marine Propane Barbeques
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you decide you want the Dickinson, don't buy it from manufacturer site.
Steveston Marine is where I got mine. Dickinson Spitfire 180 Small Stainless Steel BBQ
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 8.16.14 PM.png  
Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Wow, a lot of info on grills. Can anyone recommend a portable grill or burner combo that works with the quick connect?
We really like the Weber Q grills - the smallest one is great. We have the 120 now called the 1200 with the thermometer in the lid. The 1000 is the same grill, no thermometer. Easy to convert to quick connect. Love the domed lid and Weber has it down for grilling. The coleman is easier to clean - it has pans underneath the burners. There are some you tube videos on how to convert a coleman to quick connect.
We also converted the campfire in a can to quick connect. Here's a pic of the weber and the campfire.
Have fun!
Kathie
Attached Thumbnails
weber:campfire.jpg  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #17
Site Team

Spitfire 180 from Dickinson Marine. Check out Jim's thread on it.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We picked up our 19 about a month ago, and last week were able to check out the quick connect and our new Weber Q1000 grill. I unscrewed the regulator from the valve and screwed on the quick connect hose without any problem or additional hardware although I did use yellow teflon tape. It worked great for us at our camping last week, where we cooked hamburgers and then turkey sausages for our group of 7.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Wait.....I thought Blackjack was on a diet?
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We really like the Weber Q grills - the smallest one is great. We have the 120 now called the 1200 with the thermometer in the lid. The 1000 is the same grill, no thermometer. Easy to convert to quick connect. Love the domed lid and Weber has it down for grilling. The coleman is easier to clean - it has pans underneath the burners. There are some you tube videos on how to convert a coleman to quick connect.
We also converted the campfire in a can to quick connect. Here's a pic of the weber and the campfire.
Have fun!
Kathie
I have an older Weber Q100 which I converted to low pressure a few years back. I put a male QD fitting on it and made up a regulator with a female QD so I can run it with a cylinder if desired or with the QD on the trailer. I also mounted a thermometer in the lid. Easy to do. If I used a cook stove, I would convert it also. It might require trickier modification but I believe it wouldn't be that hard to accomplish the conversion. We do all our cooking and baking on the Weber.