Cookware and such - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Cookware and such

Looking at options for cookware for our Escape. I would normally just use odds and ends; however, I'm thinking about nesting cookware that might fit better. I was looking at the Texsport Black Ice, but wanted to get some input from others. Anyone have any favorites/thoughts when it comes to cookware?

Jan
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Cooking with backpacking cookware is challenging IMHO - things burn really easily, the handles are flimsy, and the pans are small. We prefer a small set of "regular" pans which nest somewhat - I think we have these or something similar: REVERE 8-pc Non-Stick Aluminum Cookware Set : Amazon.com : Home & Kitchen
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
This will likely evolve into personal choices depending on how you cook! I started with the aluminum stuff left over from my backpacking/tent camping days; we're now using a nicer nesting set of stainless steel that I got at REI. Pricey, but so much better for cooking than aluminum! I still carry one small aluminum pot, and a larger teflon frying pan, and a medium sized dutch oven. It's the other cooking stuff that you'll want to consider, too...steamer basket, strainer, whisks, cocktail shaker...

Bob
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Try looking at nesting sets for boats, like this site.

Nesting Stainless Steel Cookware Sets, Non Stick Cookware | Galleyware Company
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Those sets from Galleyware look excellent... But, for the moment, we're making do with various extras.

We did finally ditch the old enameled metal plates and plastic bowls, and got some corelle. Weight isn't quite the issue it used to be (even car camping we used to be careful of weight to avoid overloading the kitchen bins).

I need to come up with a good way of storing the plates and other things in the overhead cabinet so they're always accessible, efficient in terms of space consumed, and stable "in flight".

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I avoid putting heavy stuff in the o/h cabinets. I utilized the under sink for pots/pans and wheel wells for enamel plates. Paper and plastic goods go in my o/h bins.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #7

I've looked at the Magma cookware and wondered whether it was worth the price. I use stainless at home and it's a bit heavy; however, the marine grade or REI camping grade stainless might be more do-able (I'm convinced ours was made for body-builders). Thanks to all for your answers as it really helps in the decision-making process to know what other find useful ... and why.
Jan
Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We bought this nesting set of Magma cookware a year ago. Though pricey, it is very high quality. Lots of pots too. We actually eliminated all our other stovetop cookware, and a couple mixing/serving bowls too. It really is nice and compact when nested.

A10-365L
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We bought this nesting set of Magma cookware a year ago. Though pricey, it is very high quality. Lots of pots too. We actually eliminated all our other stovetop cookware, and a couple mixing/serving bowls too. It really is nice and compact when nested.

A10-365L
Thanks. I may have to give Magma/stainless a closer look.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Does anyone use cast iron? I know it is heavy, but it's what I mostly use at home.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Does anyone use cast iron? I know it is heavy, but it's what I mostly use at home.
I have ceramic lined cast iron cookware and do take at least 1 pot and pan in the trailer ...... The oldest ones are about 46 yrs old . Should add they are none stick ...
Old 01-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We mostly use cast iron at home too, but find it too heavy and bulky to use in the trailer. I know a few others do bring a piece or two.

Those Magma pots have heavy bases, and cook very evenly.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
I love my cast iron frying pan. It's all I use at home. (Have all sizes) We
always have a medium sized pan in our trailer. In my opinion, once they are seasoned, they are virtually a non stick pan. I always have my eye open for old ones at garage sales and thrift shops.(My wife would say I'm a bit obsessive!!)
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Looking at options for cookware for our Escape. I would normally just use odds and ends; however, I'm thinking about nesting cookware that might fit better. I was looking at the Texsport Black Ice, but wanted to get some input from others. Anyone have any favorites/thoughts when it comes to cookware?

Jan
Hi: CADreamin... We have found that IKEA Welcome to IKEA.com - IKEA is a great source for all things small, reasonable, and all round great for camp ware. The little plastic flip-top trash container fits under the stove in the cupboard and the S/S pots with glass lids are still with us and not too badly marred. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #15

I mention this out of experience for those who carry items under the sink. Last summer while traveling with my 13' Scamp, I had stored a couple of small, but heavier items under the sink. I hit a hole on the interstate that could not be avoided. The trailer bounced. Evidently, something under the sink flew up and broke a PVC bowl and pipe fitting to the drain. That evening, when using the sink, water came from out of the area on to the floor. Used a small plastic waste basket to catch the water so I could use the sink. Thankfully, this occurred on my way home.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape "Bess" 19' Sept. 2013
Pressure Cooker

Never used one before but now I find our 5L pressure cooker to be indispensable. Saves mucho propane!
"You're not lost if you don't care where you are."
escape13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We have a large collection of (old!) cast iron that is how we cook most everything at home and when camping (OK, we don't carry it on our motorcycles, but we also try really hard not to camp when motorcycle touring!)

In our old home built camper that we carried on our UniMoG we had a specially built shelf complete with tie downs to keep our two cast iron pans (in purpose built denim bags, which will definitely be used again in the Escape) from moving about in the cupboard. We'll be figuring out a way to do something similar as soon as we get our trailer!
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #18

Trailer: none
Check out T-Fal Ingenio cookware. The handles come off and everything nests. Hard to find but I use it at home and love it. Have some pieces for the trailer too. Can sometimes find reasonably priced sets on Ebay.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: CADreamin... We have found that IKEA Welcome to IKEA.com - IKEA is a great source for all things small, reasonable, and all round great for camp ware. The little plastic flip-top trash container fits under the stove in the cupboard and the S/S pots with glass lids are still with us and not too badly marred. Alf
Great idea Alf! We have an IKEA not too far from us and I'm always looking for an excuse to "visit". Why is it sometimes the most obvious answers elude us ... Thanks for reminding me about IKEA.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: CADreamin... Great minds think IKEA... " Start the car... START THE CAR!!!
I to am guilty of staring at the "Big Picture" and missing the "Thumbnails". Always glad to help. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote