Curved Levelers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Curved Levelers

First, this is not a "My levelers are better than your levelers". I have both the Camco and the Andersen. This is just my observation. The Andersens appear to be made of a more dense durable plastic. The Camco slip less and need no modification to work with an Escape trailer. Today on Amazon the Camco pair are $47.10 USD and the Andersens are $82.97 USD. Both raise the trailer up to 4 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
levelers 2.jpg   levelers 1.jpg  
Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Would you recommend one over the other? Does the fact that the Camco are shorter in any way detract from their effectiveness or ease of use?
Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Would you recommend one over the other? Does the fact that the Camco are shorter in any way detract from their effectiveness or ease of use?
They both have their advantages. As you can see in the picture the concrete has a rough surface. When I applied force to the Camco it would not move. When I applied force to the Andersen it slid almost without resistance. The Andersen appears to be more durable but the Camco seems durable enough for my needs. In order to use the Andersen with my trailer I would have to cut 1-2 inches off the end. I did use the Andersen last week to level a friends Class C and it worked fine. I spent my money on the Camco and someone gave me the Andersens. I have already offered to give someone else the Andersens.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Overall I have been very pleased with the Andersens, but the fact that they can slip out when backing or pulling onto them is my one complaint. Especially on a wet surface.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually the picture is distorting the length of the Andersen because you are seeing two of them together. Remember they have to fit inside the space between the tires on the unit. That is the limiting factor. Also do not forge the homemade 2x6 boards some owners make and use.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually the picture is distorting the length of the Andersen because you are seeing two of them together. Remember they have to fit inside the space between the tires on the unit. That is the limiting factor. Also do not forge the homemade 2x6 boards some owners make and use.
Jim I'm just offering my humble observations and experience with the Andersen and the Camco. You do need to shorten the Andersens to work with an Escape. I would have no problem using 2X6 or whatever as long as it does the job.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have the Andersons because they came with the 21 trailer when we bought it used. They are both cut back to about 1/2 inch ahead of the first “hole” at a 45 degree angle. I used them twice on our recent trip to Teddy Roosevelt NP. and they worked great. I’ve never had them slip. We used an oil feed bandsaw to cut them off, worked slick. They fit between the Goodyear Endurance tires on the 21 but it’s fairly close. On the 19 I carried two 2X8s about 46 inches long and one 1X8 also. All were cut with approach angles and worked well but were cumbersome to haul and store. Always figured I could burn them for heat if I got desperate.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Actually the picture is distorting the length of the Andersen because you are seeing two of them together.

The picture is of just one Anderson leveler, but with the chock-ish wedge that comes with it underneath, as you’d use the two together in practice.

The depicted sizes look accurate to me.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Our experience

We got the Camco levellers when the trailer was new and used them for our first long trip. They slipped frequently and I had to reset and try again.
Then I read the good reviews on the Andersens on this forum and ordered a pair from the factory. I find they are superior in that they have not slipped on the three long trips we've used them. The only negative is that you have to trim one of them to fit between the wheels if you have a tandem axle trailer.

Just my 2 cents worth.
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
The picture is of just one Anderson leveler, but with the chock-ish wedge that comes with it underneath, as you’d use the two together in practice.

The depicted sizes look accurate to me.
You are correct, I did not zoom in like I should have......
Old 08-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We have had the Camco levellers for about a year. They have worked well except at one RV park where the “pad” consisted of loose, deep gravel. No way could we get the levellers to work. They just slid and dug into the gravel. The same thing happened when we tried to use the “LEGO block” levellers. Ended up digging a trench into the gravel at the opposite side wheels to level the trailer.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We trimmed both of ours. Why? Because I would never remember to pick the right one for between the wheels and because the guy who trimmed them for me knew that about me as I had worked with him for and he didn’t even ask. One of the finest men I have ever known, he now resides in extreme northern Minnesota and let me know in July he had installed an electrical service at his home for me to use.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use rubber pads under the Anderson's whenever I expect them to slip. I also have 2 short lengths of 3/4x8 pvc, I can put those down with the rubber over them, then the Anderson's when I encounter loose gravel. Could probably substitute one of the Lego blocks for the boards, which I also carry.

None of these extras are used very often but when needed I'm glad I have them.

Beats lugging several 2x8 and 1x8 boards around.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have Andersons cut them down but i have never used them i just use the plastic blocks rarely have to level more then a small amount.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post
We got the Camco levellers when the trailer was new and used them for our first long trip. They slipped frequently and I had to reset and try again.
Then I read the good reviews on the Andersens on this forum and ordered a pair from the factory. I find they are superior in that they have not slipped on the three long trips we've used them. The only negative is that you have to trim one of them to fit between the wheels if you have a tandem axle trailer.
We agree. We purchased an Andersen leveler a couple of trailers ago and used lego levelers for the other wheel. With the 5.0 we purchased the Camco leveler to install between the tires. It rarely worked properly and we went back to lego's for the other tire. We also have the Andersen Rapid Jack and use that quite often. Both work great in combination with the lego levelers. Perhaps some day I'll trim the Andersen leveler to eliminate the lego, but so far that's just talk.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Also do not forge the homemade 2x6 boards some owners make and use.
Yup, that would be me. 2 x 8 with an additional 1/2" plywood on the bottom. Used with the plastic square leveling blocks gives me a choice of 2,3,4 or 5". Wife gets out when I'm close to the intended parking spot and says, "looks like 1 block will do it". 2 blocks on one wheel allow the other wheel to be removed if necessary. They can also be used as excellent sand pads if required.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
10-01-2016 12-23-30 PM_0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I have used the Andersen's for 3 years now, First on my 19' now on my 5.0. Like Dave, both are cut down to length so I don't have to worry about grabbing the correct one. (I used a chop saw. Worked great.) Rarely have I had them slip. They are actually really easy to use once you get used to them.

Perhaps one reason they don't slip on me is I routinely use a 1.5 pound rubber hammer to seat them under the wheel before driving up on them. (I use that hammer for many things. )

I love how easy it is do dial in a perfectly level trailer with them in one shot. My wife watches the bubble, tells me when to stop, chucks the other side of the tire. Done.

Here is a picture of them in use on my old 19' in soft grass.
Attached Thumbnails
HW90je+1QoixIzEmZfxFYA.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
We have the anderson with our 17B which works great as no cutting. Had an issue with slipping once on loose gravel but just shoved it under the tire a bit harder and tried again with no problem. We have previously used the blocks and I find this much easier and quicker. We do use walkie talkies to park so one of us stands at the back and says "when" as we look at the level on the back of the trailer.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes no need to shorten them with a single axle trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I have used the Andersen's for 3 years now, First on my 19' now on my 5.0. Like Dave, both are cut down to length so I don't have to worry about grabbing the correct one. (I used a chop saw. Worked great.) Rarely have I had them slip. They are actually really easy to use once you get used to them.

Perhaps one reason they don't slip on me is I routinely use a 1.5 pound rubber hammer to seat them under the wheel before driving up on them. (I use that hammer for many things. )

I love how easy it is do dial in a perfectly level trailer with them in one shot. My wife watches the bubble, tells me when to stop, chucks the other side of the tire. Done.

Here is a picture of them in use on my old 19' in soft grass.
Arnie, that pictures looks unlevel..... BTW, thanks again for the deal on the drawers, I'm enjoying them very much.