Definitive proof on Honda 2200 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Definitive proof on Honda 2200

Well I just happened to be at the Honda dealer today and this generator followed me home.
It’s the new (in Canada) Honda 2200 inverter generator.
Brought it home, quickly made a neutral bonding plug up, started it up, plugged in the trailer and all was good. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3680.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	32669The air conditioner started in high with no problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3684.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	32664Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	32665Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3678.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	32666Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	32667Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3681.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	32668
Old 07-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Down in our country we have a contractor supply outfit
Called Acme tools. They send out paper advertisements
Regularly. This week I got the 70th Anniversary offering. The Honda 2200EU is in the catalog this week for $950. Don’t know if this is a deal or not. Tax here is 7%.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Well I just happened to be at the Honda dealer today and this generator followed me home.
It’s the new (in Canada) Honda 2200 inverter generator.
Brought it home, quickly made a neutral bonding plug up, started it up, plugged in the trailer and all was good.

Golly PG, I wish I understood what all those numbers meant, but it must be good. What I do understand that the only thing I don't like about my Escape is that I can't use my AC in this terribly hot and humid weather without electricity.

I bought a Honda 2000, for my Casita and ended up selling my Casita and generator just a few weeks later after I walked through an Escape at the Bluebonnet rally. I never used it and also found out it wasn't quite strong enough to start up the AC anyways.

Although we did get solar panels we did not buy an inverter. Do we need one to use the Honda 2200. I don't know what your Progressive Industries thing you showed in the ph0tos is but I don't think I have one. Guess I should go check Huh? By the way, how heavy is the Honda 2200?
The Quilting Lady
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

Hi Nancy

No you don’t need an inverter or an the Progressive Industries system just a Honda 2200i generator and your set for the long hot summer, AC wise anyway.

Dave that’s a good price $1521.00 out the door in Canada [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
My Honda 2000 runs the A/C no problem.
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
My Honda 2000 runs the A/C no problem.
I had a Casita and the Honda 2000 ran the A/C fine although the overload light would come on for a second or two when compressor kicked in. I now have a 2018 5.0 Escape and the Honda 2000 runs that A/C fine as long as it is not in the eco mode. I am considering getting a Honda 2200 though. I purchased a small platform from Harbor Freight that goes in the receiver hitch of my truck with a lockdown plate supplied by orbital machine works that secures the generator. This has worked out well for us as it keeps the generator locked and can stay in place all the time while traveling.
okiesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Hi Nancy

No you don’t need an inverter or an the Progressive Industries system just a Honda 2200i generator and your set for the long hot summer, AC wise anyway.

Dave that’s a good price $1521.00 out the door in Canada [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
Hi: PGDriver... Maybe it's a steal!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiesoup View Post
I had a Casita and the Honda 2000 ran the A/C fine although the overload light would come on for a second or two when compressor kicked in. I now have a 2018 5.0 Escape and the Honda 2000 runs that A/C fine as long as it is not in the eco mode. I am considering getting a Honda 2200 though. I purchased a small platform from Harbor Freight that goes in the receiver hitch of my truck with a lockdown plate supplied by orbital machine works that secures the generator. This has worked out well for us as it keeps the generator locked and can stay in place all the time while traveling.
🤔 You can carry generator on receiver hitch on the truck while towing 5.0? Could take a pic of that setup?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Alf, you're just too much!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #10

Definitive proof on Honda 2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post

Nope Alf it mainly plastic and aluminum 🤣
Old 07-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I just tested the Honda 2200 also and it started the a/c on our trailer also and worked with eco mode as well. It didn't like the microwave and a/c though �� as my wife discovered.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 5.0 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
�� You can carry generator on receiver hitch on the truck while towing 5.0? Could take a pic of that setup?
Yes it works while towing. I have an Anderson hitch with frame in truck bed turned closest to back of bed. Gives plenty of clearance. My truck is a 2007 Tacoma TRD Sport. I will try to get a photo posted but I'm not too savvy at that.
okiesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Can you get tailgate open?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I've had trouble running ac even on low with my Yamaha 2000 try fuel running on propane. Wonder if propane is the problem.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I've had trouble running ac even on low with my Yamaha 2000 try fuel running on propane. Wonder if propane is the problem.
Probably. Propane would be less efficient than gasoline, which might affect the output power. Did you try it with gas?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape
Could you please help me with information on the neutral bonding plug. I tried connecting both a Honda 2200i and a pair of them to my 2014 19' Escape. The surge protector would not let the power in to the trailer. I kept getting an E2 error message (open ground) They worked when I shut off the surge protector. Is this a really bad thing to run a generator with the surge protector off? I decided to return the gens until I understand why they won't work. Someone told me it was because those generators have a "floating ground" Whatever that means. this person did say that I would have to make up a plug of some kind. Also, the people at the Honda power shop tell me I must use two 2200i's or a 3000 watt gen to run my A/C, but people here are saying that one 2200i will work?
Scotty...B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty...B View Post
Could you please help me with information on the neutral bonding plug.
The inverter generator has an unbonded or "floating" neutral. That's common among small inverter generators. So, you need to bond neutral to ground if you want to use it with the EMS. There is some debate about whether or not you need to run the EMS with the generator at all. Personally I use it because I think of a generator as just another means of shore power, and the EMS protects the trailer from spikes as well as undervoltage. But, I can see where others have a completely different opinion and consider it unnecessary.

If you want to use the EMS with the Honda eu2200i generator, simply use an N-G Bonded plug inserted in one of the unused receptacles on the generator. The bonded plug is just a regular Edison plug with a wire inside connecting the ground terminal to the neutral terminal. That's all there is to it. There's likely nothing wrong with the generators you returned.

You can successfully run the 11.5K BTU Dometic AC with a single Honda eu2200i. Many people on this forum have done so. In fact, many have done so with the older eu2000, which has even lower output power. The issue is the startup amps the AC uses, which are higher than the running amps. The startup amps come close to exceeding the output power of the generator. Be aware that the output power is also affected by your elevation. The higher you go, the less power the generator will produce. Since you mentioned you have two generators, connecting them together with parallel cables will easily run your trailer's AC, with some power to spare - even at higher elevations. At lower elevations, you'll probably do just fine with one.

I and others have posted in several places on how to make a bonded plug. For more info check out post 16 in this thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t
Old 08-02-2018, 03:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The inverter generator has an unbonded or "floating" neutral. That's common among small inverter generators. So, you need to bond neutral to ground if you want to use it with the EMS. There is some debate about whether or not you need to run the EMS with the generator at all. Personally I use it because I think of a generator as just another means of shore power, and the EMS protects the trailer from spikes as well as undervoltage. But, I can see where others have a completely different opinion and consider it unnecessary.

If you want to use the EMS with the Honda eu2200i generator, simply use an N-G Bonded plug inserted in one of the unused receptacles on the generator. The bonded plug is just a regular Edison plug with a wire inside connecting the ground terminal to the neutral terminal. That's all there is to it. There's likely nothing wrong with the generators you returned.

You can successfully run the 11.5K BTU Dometic AC with a single Honda eu2200i. Many people on this forum have done so. In fact, many have done so with the older eu2000, which has even lower output power. The issue is the startup amps the AC uses, which are higher than the running amps. The startup amps come close to exceeding the output power of the generator. Be aware that the output power is also affected by your elevation. The higher you go, the less power the generator will produce. Since you mentioned you have two generators, connecting them together with parallel cables will easily run your trailer's AC, with some power to spare - even at higher elevations. At lower elevations, you'll probably do just fine with one.

I and others have posted in several places on how to make a bonded plug. For more info check out post 16 in this thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t
Before we got our trailer Reace told me the Honda eu2000 would run the AC just fine, and sure enough it does. I use a N-G bonded plug and leave the EMS on. I have not had a chance to try it at a high elevation, though. But with the generator running the AC I do not try to run anything else that draws much current.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:34 AM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can buy one premade if you wish, although they are pretty simple to make.

https://www.microair.net/products/ge...12272654155860
Old 08-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
While engines run just as efficiently on propane, unless they're supercharged or turbocharged their maximum power is lower on propane. In a simple setup as used with a generator, the propane goes in as a gas, displacing some of the air which the engine would otherwise get, reducing the available power at a given speed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote