Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - Page 16 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews

Old 03-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #151

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15
and probably the supply of poutine ....sauerkraut .....bratwurst

Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #152

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Has anyone ever used one of the grill thingees that look something like a hub cap and can be placed on a butane cooker ? Of coarse no comparison to an actual bbq .....
This thing makes some sense to me. The "beauty ring" component of the hubcap design appears to catch grease, and the central "hubcap" grilling surface is solid in the middle, so nothing will drip onto the burner, which is why an ordinary stove burner can be used. For someone who wants to grill occasionally, and doesn't need an open grate, it would be smaller and lighter than carrying an entire standalone grill appliance.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #153

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Since this topic seems to be revisiting the subject of alternatives to the Spitfire, especially for low-pressure propane operation, a quick reminder that there is always the Porta-Chef, mentioned about a hundred posts ago, and in other topics such as
Weber BBQ Review - post #7
Low pressure stove question, again... - post #4
Barbeques - post #140
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #154

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And it's depleting the world-wide supply of pixels.
Don't worry. The Chinese are manufacturing millions of pixels as we post. They may, however, be Walmart quality pixels.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #155

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Don't worry. The Chinese are manufacturing millions of pixels as we post. They may, however, be Walmart quality pixels.
There is the concern raised that, because we are exporting pixel raw materials in large quantities from West-coast ports, there is a severe imbalance of pixel trade credits with the Asian continent.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #156

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
OK, I'll bite. This thread now qualifies as silly enough.

'Let us not forget the influence of counterfeit pixels dumped on the North American market by China.'
Old 03-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #157
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
We are getting way off topic now, so lets focus on the thread topic in order to keep the thread from being shut down. Thanking you in advance....
Old 03-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #158

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I really like my Spitfire 180 grill. However, ever since it was new I have had some difficulties where it has not heated up to as high of temperatures as would be required to properly cook foods. Also, I have found that on mine, the sensitivity of the low pressure control valve is very poor, with very little temperature adjustment possible with the valve. I have also had the supply valve "stick" and become "hard to turn" at times.

Two possible solutions come to mind for these two issues. The cold temperature issue may possibly be resolved by playing around with the size of the opening on the makeup air port (?) near the burner (there is an adjustment screw). I will play around with that a bit once the weather warms up. It is possible that the current valve is also the cause of my low temperature issues. I am thinking that I likely have a defective low pressure valve. I am hesitant about just replacing the current one with the same valve from Dickinson and have been looking for a replacement valve online. So far I have not come up with a replacement that seems suitable. I may just end up asking Dickinson for another and seeing how it works.

Anyone else have any issues with the low pressure valve or BBQ temperatures?

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #159

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I don't have the low-pressure regulator but I spent a lot of time playing with the venturi and the adjustment screw on the high pressure control, without success. I couldn't keep the heat down.
I reported the problem to Dickinson and they sent me a new control under warranty.
We shall see.
I might go back to the Weber, but it wouldn't get hot enough to sear.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #160

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I do not believe that the adjustment screw will drastically change the temperature in the grill. If it is not getting hot enough to cook food, then it is getting inadequate gas. This could be caused by a plugged or crimped supply line, a plugged propane hose, use of a second regulator (it is considered low pressure because the regulator at the propane tanks has reduced it from high pressure to low pressure before it enters the QD line, so you do not need the regulator that the grill comes with to use 1 pound disposable cylinders), or a defective valve. Before asking Dickinson for a new valve, I would disconnect the hose from the grill, open the valve, and try to blow through it. While it won't be much, you should be able to tell the difference between low and high. If you cannot blow air through the valve, it is likely bad. I would check to make sure you can blow air through the hose. It is possible an insect crawled into the hose or a fragment of Teflon tape is restricting flow.
You can also reinstall the high pressure assembly on the grill and run it with a 1 pound disposable. This would prove the burner assembly is functioning normally and is not plugged.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote