Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #201
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ

I finally got around to swapping out the inlet fitting (sent by Dickinson several months ago when I complained about the low flame) on the Spitfire grill yesterday at the campsite. It was a pain to replace, mainly because to get a wrench on the inside nut, I had to remove the shroud which is held in place by 3 screws with tiny nuts, washers and lock washers on the inside. But, the new inlet does improve the grill's performance. Grilled some steaks last night and it did a good job. Still don't think it gets hot enough just yet, but I played with the little slotted piece that controls the fuel/air mixture and was finally able to get a high flame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #202

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That looks like a plumber's nightmare, what 6 connections, Jeesh. Gotta be a better way??
re - the photo in post 99 - i agree. Unfortunate that ... that many adaptors are needed.

I'd love to get a male Quick Connect right onto my Camp Chef Ranger 2...... (after a 90 degree elbow) but it doesnt seem easily done.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #203

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
OK, there's a local place here that has a pigtail. I'm thinking that's all I need. The guy cautioned me to make sure that the quick connect was compatible with the hose supplied by Escape (high vs low pressure). I'm sure the one Escape supplies is low pressure.

So does this look right?
Oh that looks cool...

what exactly is the female end?

by chance a 3/8" female?

any chance you have a manufacturer and part #?

I could leave that attached to my Ranger 2 stove, and use my male/female Low flow QC hose to get to Escape.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #204

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Does anyone know if the Spitfire will fit in the 5.0TA outside front storage under bed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
After discussing with Reace, I know Alf fit his in with a slight inside flange trimming for the feet. I will be looking at doing the same thing. Maybe they could make it an inch taller?
Quote:
Yes, Alf cut a notch in the inside flange to slide it in, so it will fit.
A bit of an update here since I now have the 5.0TA.

It would seem the hatch used is the same in the new model as the older one, as with no modification the Spitfire was about 1/4" too tall. What I did instead of notching the flange on the hatch, was to remove the two feet from the Spitfire, and drill new holes in them a good 1/2" closer to the bottom of them, and reattach the legs. It now sits a bit lower, but easily slips into the storage hatch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #205

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So, does this make the grill sit off level now?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #206

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So, does this make the grill sit off level now?
Nope. I did the same thing to both feet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #207

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Does it fit in the front of the 5.0? so expensive but it looks great I'm tempted!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #208

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
ok just saw the last few posts and you addressed my concern.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #209

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I finally got around to swapping out the inlet fitting (sent by Dickinson several months ago when I complained about the low flame) on the Spitfire grill yesterday at the campsite. It was a pain to replace, mainly because to get a wrench on the inside nut, I had to remove the shroud which is held in place by 3 screws with tiny nuts, washers and lock washers on the inside. But, the new inlet does improve the grill's performance. Grilled some steaks last night and it did a good job. Still don't think it gets hot enough just yet, but I played with the little slotted piece that controls the fuel/air mixture and was finally able to get a high flame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had my Dickinson Spitfire 180 grill since April 2013 and consider it to be a high quality and durable grill. But like Brian, my biggest beef with this grill has been its inability to reach a sufficiently high temperature and the poor control that I have over the flame height. I have replaced the original orifice with a new one and have had the grill, burners, and control valves apart on several occasions to try to tweak things into working better. I have had some success, but am still not happy with the performance. My rating with respect to performance would have to be a 2 out of 5 at the very best.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #210

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You should mate yours with the one I gave away. Mine had only one setting - char.
Dickinson sent me a new regulator when I complained. That didn't fix it.

Do you have the instructions for adjusting the venturi? I think they are online.
Anyway, I got a Napoleon "portable". It's 285 square inches grill surface and two burners so I can cook a whole chicken indirect.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon - 1.jpg   Napoleon Q controls.jpg   Outdoor kitchen - 1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You should mate yours with the one I gave away. Mine had only one setting - char.
Dickinson sent me a new regulator when I complained. That didn't fix it.

Do you have the instructions for adjusting the venturi? I think they are online.
Anyway, I got a Napoleon "portable". It's 285 square inches grill surface and two burners so I can cook a whole chicken indirect.
Yes, playing with the venturi was one of the first fixes that I tried. Changing of the orifice seemed to make the biggest improvement. However, even after doing so, it was challenging to generate sufficient heat and to control the height of the flame.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #212

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
My problem was the opposite to yours Dave. When I first had it I couldn't get it low enough, it didn't seem to make much difference which setting it was on. Since ordering the low pressure control valve there is much greater variance in flame and can turn quite low. It's great having the low propane connection. I have a round patio table which I've used for quite some time near the back door and had another small tabletop BBQ with which I used the one lb. bottles. Now I just use the Spitfire even at home, just roll the table across the yard closer to the trailer.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
My problem was the opposite to yours Dave. When I first had it I couldn't get it low enough, it didn't seem to make much difference which setting it was on. Since ordering the low pressure control valve there is much greater variance in flame and can turn quite low. It's great having the low propane connection. I have a round patio table which I've used for quite some time near the back door and had another small tabletop BBQ with which I used the one lb. bottles. Now I just use the Spitfire even at home, just roll the table across the yard closer to the trailer.
Maybe we can exchange a few parts and both end up with something that works properly.