Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Thanks so much!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Anyone using the Dickinson Spitfire 180 grill have any issues with their low pressure regulator?

It seems that the control knob on mine tends to lock up sometimes when the grill is in operation, and the fine control of the flame size (temperature) is quite poor. If others have not experienced similar issues, I may send it (the low pressure valve) back to Dickinson and ask for a replacement.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Dave, I have really had no issue with mine, and turn it down low quite a bit, as we do lots of fish, especially salmon, on the grill. Could be that it is defective though. I know when I look through the peep hole on the side, I can see the difference as I adjust.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Hey Jim, can you bake with the Spitfire 180? We aren't getting an oven as we seldom would have need for it, plus it takes up a lot of cabinet space. But, we'd like to be able to bake muffins, etc. on occasion. We're already getting one, just would like to know if it can bake as well.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #45

We have successfully used it as an oven a bunch of times. Like with any BBQ of this type, I do like to put whatever you are baking in, on top of spacers, on top of a griddle or foil covering the grill, so that you don't get too much heat directly on the bottom of the pan you are using.

With a couple things, keeping the heat low enough required a strategically placed twig in the opening.

Home made mac 'n cheese is a favourite. We have done small chicken, and a few biscuits and cakes too.

The one thing we find with baking period, is that most things baked seem to be enough for many people, and we have learned when camping to make our meals 'just right' size, so we have no leftovers to deal with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 15B
You might think about a toaster oven. Bakes nicely and ours fits where the microwave usually goes.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have successfully used it as an oven a bunch of times. Like with any BBQ of this type, I do like to put whatever you are baking in, on top of spacers, on top of a griddle or foil covering the grill, so that you don't get too much heat directly on the bottom of the pan you are using.

With a couple things, keeping the heat low enough required a strategically placed twig in the opening.

Home made mac 'n cheese is a favourite. We have done small chicken, and a few biscuits and cakes too.

The one thing we find with baking period, is that most things baked seem to be enough for many people, and we have learned when camping to make our meals 'just right' size, so we have no leftovers to deal with.
Thanks, thought so.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
You might think about a toaster oven. Bakes nicely and ours fits where the microwave usually goes.
Yeah, thought about that but some toaster ovens draw a lot of amps. When we're boondocking it would be nice to bake without electrical use -- so the question on dual purposing the Spitfire.

As for putting the toaster oven where the microwave normally goes, I suppose that's fine - depending on the oven. They can get quite hot, so I'd be concerned about using certain ones in a cabinet enclosure due to the fire hazard.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Careful of the thermometer in the lid. Did ribs in tightly sealed foil, but discovered ( too late ) that the thermo sensor is long enough to puncture the foil when you close the lid ( we had the ribs on an overturned foil pan ).
Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #50
Site Team

Good point Glenn. I never trust any of those built in thermometers, having ruined enough barbecue in my pit using one. We picked up a Maverick wireless thermometer and receiver a couple of years back and we love it. Probe goes inside, remote goes anywhere within reception distance. Makes it easy to monitor the temps, and its dead accurate.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #51

I have the Coleman folding oven.
Coleman - Camp Oven
Says not to use it on a grill, but that's OK because it won't fit atop the Spitfire.
Weighs about 7 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 8.48.58 AM.png  
Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #52

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Careful of the thermometer in the lid. Did ribs in tightly sealed foil, but discovered ( too late ) that the thermo sensor is long enough to puncture the foil when you close the lid ( we had the ribs on an overturned foil pan ).
Sorry gbaglo, I think you mentioned this elsewhere but I can't quite remember. I think you had the Broil King porta-chef for a long time, how does it compare to Spitfire?

I believe they are quite different animals. I think I like the idea of the porta-chef having its own legs, although they are a little short. Anyhow, just wondering what your thoughts are after having both of them.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #53

I've not had a Porta-Chef for several years ( ever since the kid took it camping ). I have had a Weber Baby Q for several years and recently got the Spitfire 180.
I liked the Porta-Chef. Only got the Weber because a friend insisted on buying it for me. Bought the Spitfire because I was having problems with not enough heat from the Weber. Got too much heat from the Spitfire which I reported to Dickenson and they replaced the regulator. I haven't used it since, so I can't compare.
Friend has the Porta-Chef ( the more expensive model ) and likes it a lot. He uses the warming rack for a lot of his cooking. Weber and Dickenson don't have room for a warming rack.
You can get a cart for the Weber. I have it and leave it at home because it takes up space and is awkward to fold.
If I was starting over, I'd be inclined to get the Porta-Chef.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #54

Trailer: 19'
Great, thanks for the feedback.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
For me, the fact that it only uses 120V rules it out, PLUS it is one more thing to bring. No doubt it would work great where you could use it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Sorry gbaglo, I think you mentioned this elsewhere but I can't quite remember. I think you had the Broil King porta-chef for a long time, how does it compare to Spitfire?
I used the Broil King Porta-Chef for many years. It is a fantastic BBQ with great output. It is easily converted to the low pressure system too. The biggest thing with it, was the amount of space it took up, and in use was more suited to 4-8 people, whereas the Spitfire is great for 2, and works well for 4 when doing just meats on it.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
The biggest thing with it, was the amount of space it took up, and in use was more suited to 4-8 people, whereas the Spitfire is great for 2, and works well for 4 when doing just meats on it.
Bingo. We come to a total of exactly TWO.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I used the Broil King Porta-Chef for many years. It is a fantastic BBQ with great output.
The biggest thing with it, was the amount of space it took up, and in use was more suited to 4-8 people, whereas the Spitfire is great for 2, and works well for 4 when doing just meats on it.
That makes sense to me. We have never used all of the space on our Porta-Chef for the two of us.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #58

The critical feature with the Porta-Chef Pro is that it has space for the warming rack. My buddy uses it all the time to slow cook one course while grilling another. I can attest to his ability to create gourmet meals.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The critical feature with the Porta-Chef Pro is that it has space for the warming rack. My buddy uses it all the time to slow cook one course while grilling another. I can attest to his ability to create gourmet meals.
I do miss having that extra level to move stuff too. Even when cooking a lot of meat, it is nice to put the near done ones on that top rack keeping warm while the others finish.

But, as all things being towed, compromises are often made. I find the Spitfire fits nicely in the middle, as it will do large objects being sort of tall, but not too huge as to not be able to get carried on a trip.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:13 AM   #60

Trailer: Working on my build list
Quote:

Thanks for the info Jim. I haven't tried baking yet. It's nice to know it will work. Berries grow all over the place here in late summer. I may have to try my hand at a pie.

I use a variation of that technique for pizza in my Weber. A double layer of foil, with Weber's small roasting rack (functioning as a spacer) on top and a pizza stone on top of that. I use just the foil and the roasting rack for roasting meat. The rack is nice and short so it stores easily and doesn't lift a chicken too high plus it is all stainless steel so it cleans up easily.

A double thermometer technique is useful. One probe in the meat and a second probe next to it monitoring cooking temperature. I don't find the thermometer in the lid to be that accurate.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote