Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #161

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I haven't had a temperature issue with mine, either with the low pressure control, or the high pressure regulator.

But Carl's suggestion of trying both out to compare is a good one.

And yes, I have sometimes wished the control had finer adjustments. I tend to view the flame through the wee home on the right side, and really on the temperature gauge, which I find very accurate.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #162

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Dave W is talking about low-pressure regulator and I was relating my experience with high-pressure control. I don't think Dave has a adjustment screw on his ( I could be wrong, fer sure ).
Anyway, just wanted to point out we're talking two different issues and systems.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #163
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Dave W is talking about low-pressure regulator and I was relating my experience with high-pressure control. I don't think Dave has a adjustment screw on his ( I could be wrong, fer sure ).
Anyway, just wanted to point out we're talking two different issues and systems.
So it sounds like one of you has issues with it not getting hot enough using low pressure supply, and the other has issues with it getting too hot on high pressure supply?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #164

Yup. In my case Dickinson suspected the regulator and replaced it under warranty.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #165

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have never operated the grill with the original high pressure regulator that was supplied by Dickinson. When I purchased the grill, I removed the high pressure regulator and replaced it with the low pressure control valve (also supplied by Dickinson). I then used the external quick connect propane outlet on the Escape and attached a line directly to the low pressure valve on the grill. As I said, it seems to be quite finicky. Often the valve seems to work in a satisfactory manner, but there have been several instances where the grill just does not want to heat up. As I mentioned, the valve was also quite "sticky" to the point that I disassembled it once to see if it had debris in it or appeared damaged. I could see no issues, but that does not necessarily mean everything was ok with it.

I have used a fire bowl on my quick connect low pressure fitting, and the fire bowl has no problems lighting or generating flames and heat. So my conclusion is that the propane supply is probably ok, and any issues are likely related to the grill.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #166

Yeah, it does sound like the control valve. Could it be gunked up. I have had a couple times in the past where waxy residue from the propane clogged jets. Maybe just a good cleaning?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #167

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We are getting way off topic now, so lets focus on the thread topic in order to keep the thread from being shut down. Thanking you in advance....
A moderator has already requested that posts stay on topic or risk thread shut down. This has been an interesting thread and has provided some members with relevant & helpful information and I for one would hate to see the thread shut down. So can we please put the poutine in the proverbial garbage can.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #168

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had to moderate the past several posts as being off topic, after posting my prior request. Please try to be considerate of others. Several of the posts were from junior members who may need to read the rules of the forum. Thank you....
Old 03-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #169

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCAR View Post
While some of the higher priced larger grills have a searing capability, that is a feature that I have not found offered in smaller grills. The problem seems to be associated with a lower high temp capability. I've had 2 Trager brand owners tell me they accomplish seering by using Traeger's blanket accessory and cooking on high?!? I'm not sure I want to do that. Heartland Memphis makes a lower end grill in their product line that says it seers...The Select model is 26" wide by 31" deep and lists for $1,499. While I would consider paying for the right pel!et grill, I still find it too big and lacking some quality features offered in the larger grills that I would like to have.
I'm a bit confused about this 'searing'.
What are we after in requard to searing? Good marking on a grilled piece of food? I always heat up, at max heat, my Weber 1000Q for 10 min. before adding food and get all the 'blackened char' markings we like. What am I missing here?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #170
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm a bit confused about this 'searing'.
What are we after in requard to searing? Good marking on a grilled piece of food? I always heat up, at max heat, my Weber 1000Q for 10 min. before adding food and get all the 'blackened char' markings we like. What am I missing here?
Searing is super high heat for a brief period. It "seals" the meat, on the theory that it will retain its natural juices better. Restaurants do it. Usually its only for 30 seconds to a minute per side, then the temperature is lowered to finish cooking. Grill marks are great, but you can produce grill marks without a proper "sear". You need BTUs for that, and a lot of them. Personally I think the Weber does a fine job, and I'm not worried about searing capability.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #171

Restaurants use 1700 degree ovens to sear meat. Is there a BBQ that can accomplish that?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #172

Any searing I have done, or seen done, is either on a hot grill, or in a hot pan. A friend who has a cheap BBQ, quickly sears his steaks in a hot fry pan, before grilling. They turn out great.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Any searing I have done, or seen done, is either on a hot grill, or in a hot pan. A friend who has a cheap BBQ, quickly sears his steaks in a hot fry pan, before grilling. They turn out great.
Thats what I thought Jim. No need for the big numbered BTUs if a fry pan is available. The most important consideration, I think, is to pre-heat the BBQ to it's max then turn down to desired temp.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #174

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Searing does require a higher amount of heat or btu's so to speak, which some stoves/grills are incapable of achieving. Normally anything in excess of 10,000 btus should be able to sear a piece of meat. Just my .02$ worth.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #175

My Weber wasn't getting hot enough. I cleaned the thing thoroughly, with special attention to the burner tube without much improvement. Took it all apart a second time and we'll see this season. The unit worked when I got it.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #176

How long did you pre-heat your Weber for gbaglo? Did you use 1 pound can of fuel or a 5 pounder or ...?
It could be the fault of your fuel source.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #177

Preheat about 15 minutes or so.
I've got a new 10 lb. tank.
At one time I had a gauge installed inline. My buddy had the same and both of us felt that it interfered with gas flow so we removed them.
Attached Thumbnails
propane gas gauge.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #178

Those gas gauges do interfere with gas flow. Sometimes they just shut the flow off completely. I just use mine for gauging contents.
The reason I asked about the propane tank size was because I had a 1 pound tanks give a low pressure once (didn't get hot enough). I swapped it for another tank and the pressure returned to normal.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #179

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
How long did you pre-heat your Weber for gbaglo? Did you use 1 pound can of fuel or a 5 pounder or ...?
I cannot speak for Glenn, but depending on what I am doing, 10 minutes on high preheat on the Baby Weber (Q100) generally gets it hot enough to do anything I want. Ten minutes gets the griddle hot enough to make pancakes or fry eggs. And even if not restaurant quality seared, any steaks I have grilled are fine as far as I am concerned. We have baked cornbread and brownies by preheating for 10 minutes and then baking for the package specified time. Mine is converted to low pressure, so I have fueled it from the QD fitting on the various campers I have owned. But I also have a 5 lb cylinder (easy to carry but way more fuel than the 1 lb throwaways) and a regulator with a QD fitting on it and a 6-foot QD hose so that I can use the grill off site if I so desire. And I don't mean to be condescending, but for anyone who doesn't understand propane all grills operate on low pressure as the propane pressure coming out of the container has to be reduced (by a regulator) somewhere, whether it is just in front of and incorporated into the grill's control or at the propane tanks on the camper a few feet away from the low pressure QD fitting.
We do all of our cooking outside unless it is raining. That is what frozen entrees and the nuke are for. I used to carry a camp stove but all I was using it for was to heat water to wash dishes. So I eliminated the camp stove and use the outside shower for dish washing. I for one would be lost without the grill.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #180
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I for one would be lost without the grill.
No, you'd still know where you were -- but you'd be hungry!