Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 BBQ - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #181

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A while Jim showed us low-pressure plumbing for his Spitfire grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Robert et al, here are a couple shots I took today of my connections to the BBQ. A lot of it would have to do with what you have on the end of the hose.

Attachment 9688

Attachment 9689
Some of us have Porta Chef grills that can be converted (without replacing the control).

As I noted earlier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, Jim's adapter combination could be simplified, but the section attached to the inlet to the control would likely take two adapters with a pipe thread between them using anything that could be found in a catalog, and it looks like there are only three adapters (and thus two pipe thread connections) in this case.
From local suppliers I ended up with a three-piece adapter assembly on the grill, too, but with different parts. Here are the parts - the 1/4" pipe thread joint is already screwed together (suppliers of these fittings often do this at no charge, and do it well). The part on the left has a female 3/8" SAE flare socket on each side.

Before modification, the hose comes off the back of the control, and ends in a regulator intended to be screwed into a tank valve... but I use it on the end of a high-pressure hose from the RV's propane tank.

I took off the hose (easy - it's a SAE flare just like Jim's Spitfire and many others) and screwed on the adapters (again easy - no more pipe threads, just two flare connections).

The hose gets the connector with valve and a couple of adapters. I included the elbow so that the hose hangs down instead of being forced to bend.

Of course, if I end up with a low-pressure supply from a trailer, I can just use a low-pressure quick-connect extension hose to connect the trailer's port to the grill (the hose with regulator would not be needed).
Attached Thumbnails
grillLPQD-grillSideParts.jpg   grillLPQD-originalHoseConnection.jpg   grillLPQD-originalSetup.jpg   grillLPQD-hoseRemoved.jpg   grillLPQD-adapterInstalled.jpg  

grillLPQD-hoseSideParts.jpg   grillLPQD-hoseAssembled.jpg   grillLPQD-connected.jpg  
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #182

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I really like my Spitfire 180 grill. However, ever since it was new I have had some difficulties where it has not heated up to as high of temperatures as would be required to properly cook foods. Also, I have found that on mine, the sensitivity of the low pressure control valve is very poor, with very little temperature adjustment possible with the valve. I have also had the supply valve "stick" and become "hard to turn" at times.

Two possible solutions come to mind for these two issues. The cold temperature issue may possibly be resolved by playing around with the size of the opening on the makeup air port (?) near the burner (there is an adjustment screw). I will play around with that a bit once the weather warms up. It is possible that the current valve is also the cause of my low temperature issues. I am thinking that I likely have a defective low pressure valve. I am hesitant about just replacing the current one with the same valve from Dickinson and have been looking for a replacement valve online. So far I have not come up with a replacement that seems suitable. I may just end up asking Dickinson for another and seeing how it works.

Anyone else have any issues with the low pressure valve or BBQ temperatures?
Ok, it has been a while but I think that this is now resolved:

I initially tried a competitor's low pressure valve and attempted to jury rig it to the Spitfire grill, but was totally unsuccessful in finding proper fittings to do a good job mating the two. Failure #1.

I completely disassembled the low pressure valve and fittings provided with my Spitfire grill by Dickinson and gave them a thorough cleaning, and then reassembly. I was hoping that there may have been a fragment of something stuck inside that was impeding the flow of propane to the grill. No such luck, performance was still poor. Failure #2.

I then gave up experimenting and placed an order into Dickinson for a replacement low pressure valve for my grill. They offered to include a larger orifice assembly with the valve which they indicated should increase the propane flow into the burners and increase the heat. I didn't know this option existed but gladly accepted. I made the buy and they sent it out by mail. When my order arrived, I replaced the old valve and orifice with the new ones, and last weekend took the grill with me on a 2-day camping trip in the rain on the May long weekend. I only used it for BBQ'ing during one meal, but it worked really well and it appears that my low grill temperature issues may be resolved. I will continue to use it and can hopefully enjoy continued trouble free operations throughout this summer. PROBLEM SOLVED

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #183

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Spitfire 180 Barbeque - Dickinson Marine | Dickinson Marine

https://www.jccayer.com/Weber-500600...FUiGfgod8yAL1w

At half the price, I'll find room to store the Weber Q.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #184

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Yeah, but you quoted the list price from Dickinson. They will beat that by a lot. Many places carry it for $300ish CAD. The Weber does work though.

I would caution JC Ayer for a place to buy. They carry zero stock, and it can take weeks for things to come in. I bought a bunch of tools, the first part of the order arrived in a couple weeks, the remainder took well over a month.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #185

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I gave my Dickinson Spitfire 180 to my son-in-law along with a baby Weber.
He couldn't get the Weber hot ( I think it may be the regulator ) so fired up the Dickinson. It got hot, so he's happy. Controlling heat was my problem with it. I tried to cook a half chicken and pretty much incinerated it. Tried raising it above the grill with an aluminum pan, but that didn't work either.
I'm now using a Napoleon two burner so I can cook indirect when I want. It's not that compact, but has a tall lid for roasts and whole chicken.
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire chicken.jpg   chicken napoleon - 1.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #186

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
I went to Dickinson's in Surrey last Wednesday and paid $184 for a "scratch and dent" Spitfire grill. You can hardly see the scratch. At the time they had two of them so maybe there is one still left.

Jim
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #187

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Yeah, but you quoted the list price from Dickinson. They will beat that by a lot. Many places carry it for $300ish CAD. The Weber does work though.

I would caution JC Ayer for a place to buy. They carry zero stock, and it can take weeks for things to come in. I bought a bunch of tools, the first part of the order arrived in a couple weeks, the remainder took well over a month.
at 3/4 the price, I'll find room for the Weber.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtaco99 View Post
I went to Dickinson's in Surrey last Wednesday and paid $184 for a "scratch and dent" Spitfire grill. You can hardly see the scratch. At the time they had two of them so maybe there is one still left.

Jim
Great deal!

That scratch will soon be blended with all the ones you add.

Not only better than a Weber, cheaper too!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #189

Cheaper yet, I was going to give my Dickinson away at the swap, but then the son-in-law decided he wanted it. Snooze you lose.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Cheaper yet, I was going to give my Dickinson away at the swap, but then the son-in-law decided he wanted it. Snooze you lose.
Dang, we are planning on buying one for my daughter sometime soon. She likes using ours. She made some great pizza from scratch on it using a stone.

I thought Dickinson replaced your regulator, no?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #191

They did replace the regulator, but I still couldn't get the heat down. I followed all the instructions for adjusting air and fuel, but couldn't get what I want.
We'll see how the Napoleon goes. I've had success with a couple roast chickens.
My brother-in-law sells BBQs, hot tubs, fire places and he has a Napoleon. He hates the ignition system on his ( full size ). So, we shall see.

Steveston Marine has the Dickinson ( NEW DESIGN ) on for $369.
http://www.stevestonmarine.com/dicki...arch=Dickinson

The description is entertaining if nothing else.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #192

This Napoleon has two burners, doesn't it? There are a few circumstances that might be handy. I know it is on a large surface for sure.

I have a big ass Napoleon at home, which is now 18 years old. For the most part it is in great shape, but I do have to rebuild the igniter, and replace the burners.

I am off to buy a new one piece stone for ours. Just a few bucks at the tile store for an 18x18 honed travertine tile, and will cut it to size. I don't like carrying the weight, but it sure does make baking easy.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 PM   #193

Quote:
Steveston Marine has the Dickinson ( NEW DESIGN ) on for $369.
Dickinson Spitfire Marine Bbq New Design
Yeah, new 8 years ago, and priced higher than most other resellers.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #194

Yup. My 'portable' Napoleon has two burners. I do a lot of indirect grilling. Ribs, chicken etc. I like being able to keep stuff warm on the side that isn't lit while grilling on the other side.
Asparagus doesn't fall through the grill either.
Attached Thumbnails
Napoleon grill - 1.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 10:59 PM   #195

Quote:
Yeah, new 8 years ago, and priced higher than most other resellers.
Actually, I think it may have some new design elements. Don't know what they are though. I got mine on sale at Steveston for $280 when it was $430 at the factory. Factory told me to get it at Steveston.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:15 AM   #196

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I have been folling this thread with a lot of interest. Im bringing two BBQ's. One a Camp Chef single burner with their grill box and a Char Broil X200 ...... yeah yeah I know Char Broil doesn't have the best reputation .... but I have one at home. Although originally I bought it to use with my trailer, I discovered how much I liked it .... even BBQ ing all winter. The Camp Chef I haven't used yet. I'm searching for the 'perfect outside cooker'.

I'll be interested in Glenn's 2 burner Napolean ...... I think I' d like the indirect heat. And Jim's Spitfire. Have always liked Dickenson products. Would like to see both.

I do like to eat ...... after I get last nights Opossum burned off the grill, I be ready to show you my grills. Looking for a learning experience.

Tom
Old 05-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #197

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Actually, I think it may have some new design elements. Don't know what they are though. I got mine on sale at Steveston for $280 when it was $430 at the factory. Factory told me to get it at Steveston.
What is this, the miracle on 34th Street. Does Macy's tell Gimbel's
Old 06-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #198

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA Classic - Sept 2016
Does anyone know if the Spitfire will fit in the 5.0TA outside front storage under bed?
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Does anyone know if the Spitfire will fit in the 5.0TA outside front storage under bed?
After discussing with Reace, I know Alf fit his in with a slight inside flange trimming for the feet. I will be looking at doing the same thing. Maybe they could make it an inch taller?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #200

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, Alf cut a notch in the inside flange to slide it in, so it will fit.