DIY Inexpensive Digital Wireless RV Backup camera - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
So I have not used it to back into a camping site.

I'm sure it will help with that, but only for visibility. I wouldn't expect it to help much if you're not very good at backing. Except maybe to see you've flubbed up sooner.
I would really like to see what is behind my trailer when I'm backing up. So far it has been an elusive goal.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #22

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
Inexpensive digital Wireless RV Backup camera

Re guarding the digital backup camera. I would like a digial system that I could use a tablet for rather than an analog system. Would it be better to get ETI to hard wire a video cable from an outside point back of trailer to front of trailer or should this be an audio cable or rca wire? I will have to find the camera and a transmitter but will I get a good signal this way or will there be too much interference? If I mount the transmitter in the front cab of my 5th wheel will it be able to transmit the signal to my chevy truck. Your thoughts?
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I'm hoping someone will set up a Go Pro system and post it here or on another forum. I believe right now Go Pro doesn't have an image reverse feature (although it has an upside down to right side up feature which works if you mount it vertically) and there is a second or more delay in the video. I'm hoping Go Pro will come up with something and I can also use it as a helmet or hiking cam. I will probably do a lot of practicing in Walmart parking lots without a camera also.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
Talked with Rear View Safety yesterday. They have a new digital camera coming out April 1 (RVS-155W). Too late for me signed off yesterday but may help others. Per RVS this camera can take more jarring, better set up and can operate off android or apple device.
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
Talked with Rear View Safety yesterday. They have a new digital camera coming out April 1 (RVS-155W). Too late for me signed off yesterday but may help others. Per RVS this camera can take more jarring, better set up and can operate off android or apple device.
The problem with their existing wifi camera system isn't the camera; its resolution is poor but it's good enough. The problem is that the wifi transmitter is too weak to use from the rear of the trailer. It might be hard for RVS to fix this and stay within FCC power limits for wifi.

Moving the transmitter to the front of the trailer could be the key. I've ordered a long RCA video cable to try this out.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The problem with their existing wifi camera system isn't the camera; its resolution is poor but it's good enough. The problem is that the wifi transmitter is too weak to use from the rear of the trailer. It might be hard for RVS to fix this and stay within FCC power limits for wifi.

Moving the transmitter to the front of the trailer could be the key. I've ordered a long RCA video cable to try this out.
It will; that's exactly what I did. I snaked the cables up behind the corner padding on the drivers side and mounted the transmitter underneath the shelf over the bed with VHB tape so it would be easy to access if I ever need to replace it.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
It will; that's exactly what I did. I snaked the cables up behind the corner padding on the drivers side and mounted the transmitter underneath the shelf over the bed with VHB tape so it would be easy to access if I ever need to replace it.
Good! Let me add that Rear View Systems' customer service appears to be very good. I finally complained about the dead transmitter, and I received an email tonight that they would send me a new one via Priority Mail. Good for them!
Old 09-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
Could not one install this themselves after delivery? I see it as actually cheaper.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've been happy with both the wired RVS system I had in the Escape 17B, and the wireless one on my 21. While the wireless version's refresh rate isn't as fast as the wired, the image is fine, and I have no problem with signal strength from the back of the 21 to the dash of the Tacoma. It has never dropped out.

I've also had very good luck with their customer service...
Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've been happy with both the wired RVS system I had in the Escape 17B, and the wireless one on my 21. While the wireless version's refresh rate isn't as fast as the wired, the image is fine, and I have no problem with signal strength from the back of the 21 to the dash of the Tacoma. It has never dropped out.

I've also had very good luck with their customer service...
Did you install either yourself, or did ETI install them?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
Did you install either yourself, or did ETI install them?

Thanks
I have the Escape installed Rear View Safety camera & monitor on my 21. My Escape 17B has a wired system installed by Escape in 2011 (they don't do wired systems anymore). After switching to a Tacoma to replace the RAV4 tow vehicle, I used a Tadi brand wireless camera with a rear view mirror mounted monitor - I didn't want to hard wire the Tacoma for the monitor. I placed the transmitter in the front of the 17, using the wiring that had been installed by Escape for the wired camera.

That system worked OK electrically, but the monitor was coated so that it could also be used as a mirror, which resulted in terrible contrast. Even with great customer service from Tadi, sending a different less reflective monitor, I was not happy with the system. I liked the use of the mirror for a monitor location, but I'd never recommend one that is designed to also be used as a mirror.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:01 AM   #32

Very great details and advice, thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Wireless Rearview Systems

I was wondering about the use of a rearview camera and how much I'd use it? Lot's of recommendations for the iBall hitch assist system, and that's a nice product. However, I was wondering if there were other options out there...

Just checking around and found handy alternative for those of us that would use this feature for parking only. I found a great device on Amazon by Reolink that uses your phone as a monitor, is portable and battery operated. I like another system found on Amazon by Safevant the best because it's rechargeable.

All of these systems are portable so you could use them around your campsite or at home when you're not camping. The iBall system is nice and looks like it would work well but these others are a lot cheaper and just as portable and include one way or two way sound/speech feature.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I was wondering about the use of a rearview camera and how much I'd use it?
I've no recommendation on a specific system, but the answer to your question is "all the time". This is one of the most useful features in my truck (mine is built in to the tailgate), and now that I've had it for several years, I wouldn't have a tow vehicle without it.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #35

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Yup, mine is in my tailgate too and it works great for seeing behind the truck. However, as a prospective tug vehicle for a fifth wheel, the camera in my tailgate will get a real nice shot of the LP tanks and nothing else. For bumper hitch towing, the tailgate camera is wonderful. I was thinking that the these portable systems could be moved to the inside of truck bed to facilitate hooking up, and then moved to another location, even while camping, and used as general security. When paired to your phone, you're connected to keep an eye on your tow vehicle or the space around your camper at any time including when you laying in bed in the middle of the night. Of course, you'd be restricted by battery life, but it's an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I've no recommendation on a specific system, but the answer to your question is "all the time". This is one of the most useful features in my truck (mine is built in to the tailgate), and now that I've had it for several years, I wouldn't have a tow vehicle without it.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ok, didn't realize you were talking about seeing inside the bed. I would assume you can do what most do, just look out the back window.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
This is the suction cup mount (a re-purposed cell phone mount) we use for our wireless camera to look out the rear window of our trailer while driving down the road, and I could just as easily mount it to the rear window of our F-150 Supercrew cab to look into the bed if hitching up a 5th wheel (it's difficult if not impossible to see into the bed from the front seat of a supercrew cab). The wireless receiver/monitor powers from the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09578.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote