EcoQue Grills - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
EcoQue Grills

Anybody have any experience with these grills? Once known as a Pyromid. The hygienist in my dental office was raving about it today. According to her, it cooks well with only 15 briquets, and folds flat for easy transport. She and her husband have used the same one for over 20 years.

Portable Grills | Ecoque - A Greener Way To Grill
Attached Thumbnails
home_main_img.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have seen them locally at MEC (a Canadian store much like REI). They get good reviews, and the concept would fit in well to the minimalist idea behind our smaller trailers. Other than packing the briquettes, it sure would not take up much space. I would like to try one.

I do like the versatility of our Dickensen BBQ, as we bake, fry and grill on it, plus the ease to get going and clean up, but this definitely looks worth a look.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I have one of the original Pyromids, which were designed and made in Bend, Oregon. I even bought mine at the factory. They are an interesting concept. The original grill top had holes in the stainless steel which left interesting grill marks. I see that the new tops are diamond shaped. What I like: portable, stainless steel, does get VERY hot and I mean hot so you have to watch food carefully, it does use little charcoal. What I don't like: you still have to deal with briquettes, it is difficult to regulate the heat, the stainless is heavy (even thought it folds flat, it isn't light) not as versatile as some other units. The company went out of business years ago and this bbq disappeared. Someone must have bought the patent because I always thought it was a very clever design. I saw that you can get one on Amazon US for $49 plus $10 shipping and handling.

I now prefer my gas canister CADAC (available at Canadian Tire) an Australian product. Easier to light, more versatile. I have an example on my website of this grill and pictures of our food:

https://sites.google.com/site/ouresc...aves/bbq-grill
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... the concept would fit in well to the minimalist idea behind our smaller trailers. Other than packing the briquettes, it sure would not take up much space...
Isn't that a bit like saying "other than the pile of radioactive fuel, nuclear reactors are clean and convenient heat sources"? Bags of expensive and messy fuel that is essentially uncontrollable eliminate any charcoal cooking device from consideration for me.

Unless I'm missing something, other than the charcoal, the system is a metal box. I am unimpressed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I have one of the original Pyromids, which were designed and made in Bend, Oregon.
Good input. Your pros and cons are very similar to others I have read online, though many still seem to like to stick with them as their pros outweigh their cons for the units intended use.

The concept is similar to what many people (including myself) have used for cooking on fires in backcountry use are the many available folding wood stoves of all sizes. Not everyone's cup of tea, but they do serve a good purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Isn't that a bit like saying "other than the pile of radioactive fuel, nuclear reactors are clean and convenient heat sources"? Bags of expensive and messy fuel that is essentially uncontrollable eliminate any charcoal cooking device from consideration for me.

Unless I'm missing something, other than the charcoal, the system is a metal box. I am unimpressed.
Seriously, comparing charcoal briquettes to nuclear waste? Your condescending tone is really sinking to new lows.

And yes, since you ask, I do think you are missing something, like the benefit of keeping things at a simplistic level. Read some of the reviews, lots of folks happy with this unit, and just because it is not your first choice (heck, it is not mine either), it does not make their decisions wrong.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #6

It wouldn't be my first choice all the time, either, but what intrigues me is that this is highly reminiscent of the old hibachi-style cooking…no cover to this grill, nor is there the heavy cast-iron body. And, as much as I use propane, I still enjoy something cooked over a wood fire or charcoal now and again.

Tim, I appreciate you sharing your actual experiences with the older Pyromid model. It pretty much mirrors what my hygienist shared. I believe I'm going to give it a try!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
It wouldn't be my first choice all the time, either, but what intrigues me is that this is highly reminiscent of the old hibachi-style cooking…no cover to this grill, nor is there the heavy cast-iron body. And, as much as I use propane, I still enjoy something cooked over a wood fire or charcoal now and again.

Tim, I appreciate you sharing your actual experiences with the older Pyromid model. It pretty much mirrors what my hygienist shared. I believe I'm going to give it a try!
Actually, there is a cover if I'm understanding your statement. It isn't shown in the picture on the forum but if you look on their website you will see it. The cover is great for windy days and intensifying the heat. It wants to collapse if you remove the whole cover, but it has two flaps at the top that can be opened to check on and turn food. I notice that the little table I bought with mine does not seem to be available. I love the table made of aluminum angle material with a stainless insert. The legs remove and fit flat inside. The original table was designed to hold the Pyro-mid flat in one compact unit. If anyone is interested it will dig it out and take a picture.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Good input. Your pros and cons are very similar to others I have read online, though many still seem to like to stick with them as their pros outweigh their cons for the units intended use.

The concept is similar to what many people (including myself) have used for cooking on fires in backcountry use are the many available folding wood stoves of all sizes. Not everyone's cup of tea, but they do serve a good purpose.

Seriously, comparing charcoal briquettes to nuclear waste? Your condescending tone is really sinking to new lows.

And yes, since you ask, I do think you are missing something, like the benefit of keeping things at a simplistic level. Read some of the reviews, lots of folks happy with this unit, and just because it is not your first choice (heck, it is not mine either), it does not make their decisions wrong.
I agree with you Jim. My biggest problem with briquettes is starting them.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
I agree with you Jim. X2
How are the briquettes ignited in the EcoQue ?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #10

If you are truly looking for something compact that uses charcoal or other fuels look below. When we only had a CRV I was trying to save weight any way we could. I found the UCO Grilliput, originally designed for back packers. You really can't get any smaller or lighter for what this does. I bought the fire bowl (which could be used separately for a small fire) with the grill. In one of the pictures you will see I added the tri-fold splatter shields you can get for your stove top to block the wind and hold the heat in. (Oh, I edited, by the way, that is a concrete table not wood or plastic, wood grain is from the forming boards.)

Amazon.com: UCO Grilliput Portable Camping Grill: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: UCO Grilliput Compact Firebowl: Sports & Outdoors
ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1012.jpg   IMG_2401.jpg   IMG_2402.jpg   IMG_2403.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I agree with you Jim. X2
How are the briquettes ignited in the EcoQue ?
The bricks sit vertically in slots under the grill, they do not just pile up underneath. Below that layer there is another little platform that you can place a firestarter, like the compressed wood and wax. You can also use the self starting bricks, but some people don't like those because of the flavor. Placing the charcoal is one of additional labors in setting up. Each brick sits edge-wise in the slots. Slots are on an angle so the outside slots hold only one or two and the middle slot holds about 5.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #12

Found a good video on You Tube showing how the EcoQue works. I do notice that both the grill top and the other panels now have edges. In the original Pyro-mid, these were flat stainless steel and the extreme heat wanted to warp them in use. Having rolled edges should eliminate that problem.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Seriously, comparing charcoal briquettes to nuclear waste?
It's easy to miss the intent of those smiley faces sometimes - I have. I agree that charcoal briquettes are nothing like uranium fuel, and charcoal ashes are nothing like nuclear waste; I was just referring to the importance of fuel (and waste) handling to the use of any fuel-consuming appliance.

Quote:
And yes, since you ask, I do think you are missing something, like the benefit of keeping things at a simplistic level.
Although the propane equipment is more complex than a charcoal firebox, the use of that equipment to deliver fuel, light the stove, manage the heat, shut it off, and dispose of waste does not seem simpler to me with charcoal than with propane. Charcoal is still appealing, of course, but the simplicity of the process isn't part of the appeal for me.

I find that on RV trips we tend to make a full breakfast, with bacon, eggs, and coffee made in a french press. This is not simpler or more convenient than toast or cereal and instant coffee, but it is part of a more relaxed living style that suits the situation. For some, tending a wood or charcoal fire is part of that related style.

Quote:
... just because it is not your first choice (heck, it is not mine either), it does not make their decisions wrong.
Of course not! I did not say, and did not mean to suggest, what anyone else's choice might be. Perhaps the part of my comment which I have bolded below was not apparent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Bags of expensive and messy fuel that is essentially uncontrollable eliminate any charcoal cooking device from consideration for me.
Finally, to be fair, the EcoQue grill is a cleverly shaped (not just rectangular) box, which is probably important to how well it works. I wasn't criticizing the design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I favor charcoal whenever I have the time to wait for it but don't know about the lighting method. Can one start the required briquettes in a chimney and just dump them on the fuel grate as opposed to lining them up and using 4 fire starters? Been keeping my eye open for a more portable grill; then my Smokey Joe.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #15

I did notice the cover after I'd posted, makes it all the more attractive. And the video really tied it all up neatly, thanks! I had imagined that the briquets were in the lower compartment.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I favor charcoal whenever I have the time to wait for it but don't know about the lighting method. Can one start the required briquettes in a chimney and just dump them on the fuel grate as opposed to lining them up and using 4 fire starters? Been keeping my eye open for a more portable grill; then my Smokey Joe.

The intent of this grill is to minimize the number of briquettes used. You would have to remove them with tongs and PLACE them in their spots. The video gives a good indication of how this works. You would also have a tendency to use too many this way and the grill would be extremely hot. I actually found that a couple of sticks of starter under the bricks started them very quickly because of the design of the EcoQue (aka Pyro-mid) and your separate charcoal starter would not be needed. If you want something more traditional, see my earlier post in this thread on the Grilliput. Happy grilling.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
If you are truly looking for something compact that uses charcoal or other fuels look below. When we only had a CRV I was trying to save weight any way we could. I found the UCO Grilliput, originally designed for back packers. You really can't get any smaller or lighter for what this does. I bought the fire bowl (which could be used separately for a small fire) with the grill. In one of the pictures you will see I added the tri-fold splatter shields you can get for your stove top to block the wind and hold the heat in. (Oh, I edited, by the way, that is a concrete table not wood or plastic, wood grain is from the forming boards.)

Amazon.com: UCO Grilliput Portable Camping Grill: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: UCO Grilliput Compact Firebowl: Sports & Outdoors
ie=UTF8&psc=1
This type of reflector oven is very popular with some canoeists, which could easily be adapted as you show in those photos to using briquettes, or just use the campfire at your site. There are tons of plans for building your own online, or you can buy them already made. Many different styles too.

Here is just one.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #18

I had a folding grill similar to that Grilliput many years ago. Used it for beach cooking. We carried 12 briquets in an egg carton, and would just slip the egg carton under the grill, which we placed in a scooped out hole, and light it. All you had to bury was the ashes. Not a problem way back then, I imagine it would be frowned upon now.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
We carried 12 briquets in an egg carton, and would just slip the egg carton under the grill, which we placed in a scooped out hole, and light it. All you had to bury was the ashes. Not a problem way back then, I imagine it would be frowned upon now.
Great idea! As long as we use the cardboard type carton and not the styrofoam version. Brian
Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I agree with Jim also and would also note that comparing the the use of a charcoal and propane BBQ is like comparing apples to oranges. These to the serious BBQ aficionado are two distinctly different methods of cooking that produce different tastes.

I think that the EcoQue would be quite interesting to try as for the mess of dealing with charcoal, sorry I just don't see it as a problem.