Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #181

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good post Gary252, even if I'm not in the market.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #182

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary252 View Post
As far as buying online? A bicycle will need service. Develop a relationship with a quality shop in your area, support them and they will support you when you need service. And you will need their service. Again, I can't describe how many online purchasers brought their buying mistakes into us only to hear, "Sorry, wrong size, wrong parts or parts are not available for the product you purchased" Usually followed with "But the guy online said I can take it to any bike shop and they will fix it." Well, call up "Any Bike Shop" and take it to them for repair.
We live for biking, hiking and camping! Toured Europe twice on our recumbents, as well as many trips in the US. I'll put my biking repair skills up against at least 80% of the bike mechanics out there. I have a huge investment in tools and parts.

Many times I'm asked to repair someone's bike/trike, that was purchased at WalMart or online. Too often I have to tell them it really isn't worth fixing. Sometimes they get mad at me for not fixing their bike, when in reality I either can't get the parts or manufacture the broken items. Not my fault! Oh, I work for beer and pretzels.

Because of my repair skills we rarely purchase a new bike. If you were to replace our current bike/trike inventory we'd be easily spending $25-30,000. However, most can't fix their own bike and shouldn't rely on my freebie bike shop. I always tell them to purchase as local as possible and don't pinch pennies.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #183

Trailer: 2012 Casita
Here's a bad thing about Rads. They are online sales only and seem to be not of the highest quality. I had a bike mechanic go through mine and he found quite a few things to tweak. Nothing major, but it was an early model.

My friend got a bike the next year, after their sales took off. We have done a bit of work on it and are learning to be bike mechanics thanks to her bike. I've replaced the brake pads on my Rad and on hers, we've replace the controller and then the rear wheel assembly. Rad does back up their product and sent out a new controller and rear wheel but it can be frustrating to go on a ride and have the bike quit. The rear wheel assembly fixed that problem. It was the motor.

My other e bike is with a company that has been making bikes for 120 something years. I expect that bike to last.
Slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:12 AM   #184

United States Department of the Interior Policy Memorandum 19-01. Good luck reading this memo and it's related documents. This policy took effect on October 1 in the National Park System.

We were in Acadia National Park on October 1 when these signs were erected. So, at least in Acadia, Class 2 and Class 3 eBikes are not allowed.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thanks for the info Perry. Still hard to wrap my head around little tires making little difference with pedal assist. If I decide to get one some day I'll have to try them before buying. It would be nice being able to ride for 20 or so miles without worrying about being able to make it back.
For the past few years a group of us ride 100 miles on the Coeur d’Alene Trail in Idaho with our 20" configured trikes. It's not uncommon for us to ride between 30-70 miles with trikes. Currently our trikes are NOT eTrikes.

Today we're going to Perennial Cycle in Minneapolis to order our Tern Vektron S10. Next week I'll be talking to a guy in Janesville, Wisconsin who electrifies bikes/trikes to have one of our trikes electrified. While I may know bikes/trikes I want support for my eBikes/Trikes.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #186

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
...Still hard to wrap my head around little tires making little difference with pedal assist. If I decide to get one some day I'll have to try them before buying. It would be nice being able to ride for 20 or so miles without worrying about being able to make it back.
The biggest impact the small wheels will have is on your comfort while riding! Small wheels will make bumps in the road feel much larger than what you would feel with big wheels. It may not make a difference on shorter rides, but on longer rides your butt will know the difference!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #187

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I strongly agree with Gary 252 about having a relationship with a local bike shop. I used to tell people that having a good relationship with the bike shop was much more important than the name on the downtube of your bike.

Perry, say "Hi" to Luke & Hunter for me today when you are at Perennial. I really like that shop.

I used to own a Tern Eclipse S11i. But it was heavy and bulky (24" wheels). Now Lindy and I each have a Brompton with 16" wheels. It is easy to slip the two bikes into the back of hour tow vehicle, and quickly get them out for exploring the area, or sometimes just a quick ride to the shower room. They also work well in the metro area as I can easily take them on the bus or the light rail. Brompton has an electric bike too.

As far as small wheels being a disadvantage, I think it depends upon the road surface. When I road the Brompton across France last year, they were definitely at a disadvantage on some very rough cobbled surfaces. But on pavement or crushed limestone, they were just fine.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #188

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Read it. Did my best to wrap my head around that government memorandum governing e-bike use in the national parks. So.... think I got it .... they are allowed in the national parks unless the local administrator says they are not allowed. (?) Who writes this stuff?
Old 12-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #189

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
A few Sundays ago watching the Wynn’s and they bought a folding electric bike called. Vita . Not a bad price . Was wondering about their bikes ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #190

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Send a message via MSN to Gary252 Send a message via Yahoo to Gary252
A good source for e-bike info and reviews are found on Electric Bike Review website.
https://electricbikereview.com/

Over the years we used this site and found the information is pretty accurate and unbiased. They originally would review products as they became available from the manufacturer. They may be charging manufacturers now as many of the reviews are pretty intensive.

Be sure to test ride before you buy. Don't rely on specifications or price only. Bikes having the same written specifications can have distinctly different rides. The frame materials and geometry will be the biggest component that provides the fun in the ride. Great components on a poorly designed frame will not provide a lively, fun ride.
Gary252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #191

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
I’m riding a mountain bike three times a week or more, recently I tried a Specialized Levo e-bike on my home trails (Annadel state park) and had a blast. I can go much further and climb higher without getting wasted, definitely getting one. Debating between Specialized Levo and Trek Rail, these things are very expensive, I do all my own maintenance and upgrades and usually find a good used bike but this time I’m going new.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #192
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if you have a reasonable set of bike tools, including a few specialty items like a crank puller and bottom bracket wrench, its pretty easy to turn a old bike into a pedal assist ebike that works quite nicely. The TSDZ2 mid drive motor kit is about $400-450, and a good battery is about $400-450 also

if you don't set the limits on the TSDZ2, and your bike gearing lets you, you can get up to 25-28 MPH with one of these, but you can limit the power and max speed of the assist so it qualifies as a class I. the TSDZ2 has quite smooth torque sensing in the crank, so you hardly notice its electrified other than that its much easier to pedal in higher gears.

this is the build I did for my brother, using his 1999 Trek hardtail mountain bike... My brother, in his early 60s, is loving it, and riding it every day its not raining whereas previously he'd maybe ride once a month. the lights are wired to the ebike power... its set for 500 watts peak, top speed of 28 mph at a cadence of 90, and has about 600 watt*hours of battery power. I rode it up to 25 miles while testing, including some steep hills, and never used more than about 25% of the battery power.

My next build will be on my 700c hybrid, which I'll be using a 52T chain ring, with a 28-13T rear 8-speed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #193

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Thanks John, looks like a great setup, I have an older Specialized hardtail I can use, or maybe convert my wife's bike to convince her to go back on a bike. Regardless, I will still get myself a modern mountain e-bikes, life is to short
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #194
Site Team

oh. www.eco-ebike.com is a great place to get this stuff, and get support.

the bafang bbs motors they also sell aren't torque sensing, they just apply assist based on how fast you're pedalling, and usually DO require a throttle.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
oh. www.eco-ebike.com is a great place to get this stuff, and get support.

the bafang bbs motors they also sell aren't torque sensing, they just apply assist based on how fast you're pedalling, and usually DO require a throttle.
John do you know anything about the Vita electric bikes ? Pat
Old 12-14-2019, 02:18 AM   #196
Site Team

Vita is one of Specialized lines of ebikes? ah, no (googled it), ok, thats their woman's geometry line of non-electric hybrid ? specs look pretty similar to my Globe Vienna, 700c wheels, 3x8 gearing, etc.

wait, there's about 5-6 OTHER bike makers who have Vita (and Vida, Vika, and other similar) named products. so I guess you'll need to get more specific. there's 100s of folks selling ebikes now

most of the cheaper ebikes are using hub motors, which IMHO, make them more like mopeds.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #197

Quote:
if you have a reasonable set of bike tools, including a few specialty items like a crank puller and bottom bracket wrench, its pretty easy to turn a old bike into a pedal assist ebike that works quite nicely. The TSDZ2 mid drive motor kit is about $400-450, and a good battery is about $400-450 also

if you don't set the limits on the TSDZ2, and your bike gearing lets you, you can get up to 25-28 MPH with one of these, but you can limit the power and max speed of the assist so it qualifies as a class I. the TSDZ2 has quite smooth torque sensing in the crank, so you hardly notice its electrified other than that its much easier to pedal in higher gears.
The problem with the TSDZ2 is the internal gears that eventually strip. The choice of gears are either nylon, for a quieter ride, or bronze, to last longer.

I just ran into a former mechanical engineer who installs Bafang BBS02 mid-drive units on bikes/trikes. He gets into the software and changes the power from linear to a curve so it seems like torque sensing to the user. I've ridden a number of Bafangs and didn't like that sudden jump when starting, but others love their Bafangs. We're now thinking of having him adding a Bafang to one of our trikes. I have yet to run into someone that has had their Bafang mid-drive quit on them, but know a number of TSDZ2 owners that have needed to replace those gears.

I'd have no problem installing this Bafang myself, but don't feel like manipulating the software, and his install price is reasonable. Plus I'm getting lazier over the years.

As always in a conversation like this, YMMV.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #198
Site Team

I knew my brother woudl overpower his tsdz2, so I got it with the bronze gear preinstalled, which made it a bit noisy. he doesn't mind.

the one I install on my hybrid Globe, I plan on being pretty light on, so will start with the stock nylon gear if it wears out, I'll replace it with the bronze gear.

IMHO, the natural torque sensing nature of the tsdz2 beats the raw power of the bbs setups. I wanna ride a bike, not drive a moto.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #199

Quote:
Vita is one of Specialized lines of ebikes? ah, no (googled it), ok, thats their woman's geometry line of non-electric hybrid ? specs look pretty similar to my Globe Vienna, 700c wheels, 3x8 gearing, etc.

wait, there's about 5-6 OTHER bike makers who have Vita (and Vida, Vika, and other similar) named products. so I guess you'll need to get more specific. there's 100s of folks selling ebikes now

most of the cheaper ebikes are using hub motors, which IMHO, make them more like mopeds.
John I got the name wrong . It is Blix Vika+. Or spell check changed it and I didn’t notice . It is supposed to be in 2019 Electric Bike review .com . Yes it is a rear 500 w hub-motor . Learning and don’t know much about the electric bikes . Pat
Old 12-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #200

Quote:
IMHO, the natural torque sensing nature of the tsdz2 beats the raw power of the bbs setups. I wanna ride a bike, not drive a moto.
You need to get out and ride a properly installed BBS02. You don't need a throttle! Too many install with just a throttle, but only if that's what you're talking, you're correct.

Enjoy,

Perry