Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #201

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
You need to get out and ride a properly installed BBS02. You don't need a throttle! Too many install with just a throttle, but only if that's what you're talking, you're correct.

Enjoy,

Perry
I have enjoyed riding my Bafang bbs 750W kit that I installed on a mountain bike about 3 or 4 yrs ago and have never had issues with it. Key is to have a good battery. I have both a throttle and peddle assist.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #202

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I have enjoyed riding my Bafang bbs 750W kit that I installed on a mountain bike about 3 or 4 yrs ago and have never had issues with it. Key is to have a good battery. I have both a throttle and peddle assist.
Hi Dave we both have installed belt driven Subaru motors on our bikes for years. They are also pedal assist but can get up to 30 mi a hour . They of course have a throttle . Just now interested in getting folding electric for a change . We use to go to work on them and needed help to get up steep hills . They are heavy though and don’t fold . Want something to take camping now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #203

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Received my Rad Runner this week ($1100 after Christmas discount). Very impressed and fun to ride. Tucks nicely into truck (have topper) without doing anything. Can't wait to explorer different camping areas.
Attached Thumbnails
rad.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:44 PM   #204

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Anyone have a Blix e-bike? Quite interested, partly because of their Swedish heritage, like me!
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #205

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Anyone have a Blix e-bike? Quite interested, partly because of their Swedish heritage, like me!
Yes I was asking about their Vika +. Looks like a nice bike but didn’t get anyone commenting . Will be watching for some comments ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:22 AM   #206

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Received my Rad Runner this week ($1100 after Christmas discount). Very impressed and fun to ride. Tucks nicely into truck (have topper) without doing anything. Can't wait to explorer different camping areas.
Very nice. Our Lectric XP is scheduled for delivery today. I share your excitement.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #207

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
The problem with the TSDZ2 is the internal gears that eventually strip. The choice of gears are either nylon, for a quieter ride, or bronze, to last longer.

I just ran into a former mechanical engineer who installs Bafang BBS02 mid-drive units on bikes/trikes. He gets into the software and changes the power from linear to a curve so it seems like torque sensing to the user. I've ridden a number of Bafangs and didn't like that sudden jump when starting, but others love their Bafangs. We're now thinking of having him adding a Bafang to one of our trikes. I have yet to run into someone that has had their Bafang mid-drive quit on them, but know a number of TSDZ2 owners that have needed to replace those gears.

I'd have no problem installing this Bafang myself, but don't feel like manipulating the software, and his install price is reasonable. Plus I'm getting lazier over the years.
John, you might be interested in this change of heart.

Terry and I are avid cyclists and have been for years. Have many tours under our belts including Terry's homeland (She was born in Linz, Austria, with cousins in Germany and the Czech Republic). Despite being from Minnesota, over the years I probably average 3-4,000 miles a year. We travel to cycling areas, so for us, camping and cycling fall hand in hand.

I did more research (made the mistake of joining Endless Sphere ) after I wrote this, and found the other problem the TSDZ2 has is it's easy to burn out the motor, and many have. There is no temperature sensor on the TSDZ2 and riders don't realize when the motor is overheating. I was warned NOT to install a throttle on TSDZ2, but had no intentions of doing so if we had purchased one. The problem with our style of riding is we tour and plan on being in Austria this summer (home of +20% grades) and long term climbs can also heat up the motor. This made the Bafang look even better!

Last week I talked to Dave at Eco-eBike. He had just decided to release his version of the TDSZ2 with an optional temperature sensor and newer controller. The new controller displays motor temperature and has software to back off the wattage when getting warm and cut the motor if the temp continues to rise to near dangerous levels. When touring we can't have a suspect motor and now the TSDZ2 will meet our requirements.

While a Bafang can mimic a torque sensing motor, you need to be constantly shifting power levels to do so, and with TSDZ2's problems (burning out motors and stripping gears) were prepared to put up with the power shifting. With this newer version we can have the best of both worlds.

Never did intend to have a throttle with the Bafang and don't need a throttle with the TSDZ2. Chugging up grades at low cadence or powering off from a standstill using max motor power is what strips that nylon/plastic gear, so won't/don't do either. We prefer to have our bodies and brains control the bike. I do understand others don't ride like we ride and their decision to have a throttle works for them, but for them I'd not get a TSDZ2, but a Bafang instead.

We plan to go back to Terry's homeland this summer. I'll be riding our ICE Sprint NT trike with TSDZ2 and Terry will be on our new Tern S10 with a Bosch Active Line Plus. My TSDZ2 will have a 21a battery and the Tern will have Bosch's 13a Powepack. We'll ride most of the time in eco.

I do realize most here don't ride like Terry and I do, but make sure you do plenty of research to find the right system that works for you.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #208
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re stripping gears, yeah, downshift before you stop, keep your cadence up, and you won't have a problem. I'm going to get the stock nylon gear for my next build, but if I do strip it, I'll get the bronze replacement.

I'm planning on getting the 48V 14AH slim battery built with 3500mAH Samsungs(I think?). I put a 14AH on my bro's 26" knobby hard tail, and riding 20 miles vigorously including a mile of 8% grade at the end, and the battery was still at 4 out of 5 bars. The TSDZ2 sips juice. thats this one, its lighter than the bigger packs.
https://www.eco-ebike.com/collection...-shark-battery

I toyed with having them build one with even fewer cells to save another pound, 10S 3P of 3.5AH cells would be 10.5AH, but my bike isn't /that/ light, and neither am I so that last pound won't be that big of a deal, and I'll probably want to do longer rides as I get my endurance back up.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
re stripping gears, yeah, downshift before you stop, keep your cadence up, and you won't have a problem. I'm going to get the stock nylon gear for my next build, but if I do strip it, I'll get the bronze replacement.

I'm planning on getting the 48V 14AH slim battery built with 3500mAH Samsungs(I think?). I put a 14AH on my bro's 26" knobby hard tail, and riding 20 miles vigorously including a mile of 8% grade at the end, and the battery was still at 4 out of 5 bars. The TSDZ2 sips juice. thats this one, its lighter than the bigger packs.
https://www.eco-ebike.com/collection...-shark-battery

I toyed with having them build one with even fewer cells to save another pound, 10S 3P of 3.5AH cells would be 10.5AH, but my bike isn't /that/ light, and neither am I so that last pound won't be that big of a deal, and I'll probably want to do longer rides as I get my endurance back up.
We're getting the kit with an extra blue plastic and a bronze gear just in case. We'll carry both on tour.

Since we camp without services the big battery made the most sense. The 110 outlet in our truck will be used to charge the Bosch battery when driving down the road. The 21a 52v battery weighs 11 lbs. I haven't made a decision on how the battery will be mounted but will have to consider the weight. I see your battery is a lightweight at 7.4 lbs. If we weren't camping without services as much as possible I'd be getting the 15a 52v @ 8.1 lbs.
OTOH, I figure since we're motorized, the extra weight of the battery is negligible.

Perhaps some day we'll meet at a campsite and jabber about our bikes.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #210
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re: battery mounting...

this is a jumbo 'shark' on a typical 'L' frame hard tail mountain bike from circa 1999.

using 3500mAH Samsung cells, the jumbo shark can hold 13S or 14S 5P which is 48V or 52V at 3.5*5 = 17.5AH

21AH, you'll be 6P using 3.5AH cells, so likely will need a 'rack' battery (they can handle up to around 8P)... that puts a lot of weight high on the back end of the bike which makes it less stable and quite unwieldy when you're pushing it around, loading/unloading... the downtube "Shark" keeps the weight in the center of the bike and lower down.

Me, I'd get 2 4P regular Sharks and interchange them as needed, they mount with a quick release plate. you can leave one on the solar charger while you are riding with the other
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #211

While we have purchased a Tern until last summer I hadn't ridden a DF since 1998. I ride trikes, but now that I'm retired my carpal tunnel no longer exists, but my back can only handle DF bikes for a limited time.

Some of our trikes:

The trike in the middle will be the one to get the TSDZ2. I haven't yet decided on how to carry the battery, but have many options.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #212

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is DF?
Old 01-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is DF?
Opps, I ass u me d.

DF is a diamond frame or conventional bike like those ridden in this thread.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #214

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Learn something every day.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:34 AM   #215

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Motorcycle Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I ordered a hitch mount bike rack and it arrived the other day. Thing is, I don’t have an e-bike, or any bike. Yet. Just the rack. Momma says nothing, but I know that look.

This may be nuts. I keep telling her I keep jumping back and forth from wanting an e-bike to not wanting to spend the money for an e-bike. The right size e-bike is not a cheap choice, the alternative compromise e-bike might not be comfortable enough to use so much. Will this be a new toy fated ultimately to fade unused into a dark corner of the garage? Will it become a not cost effective choice? Will I end up fit and happy or will I age quickly -- racked with guilt?

The new rack has become a fun deal for me, because all the bike racks I’ve seen at bike shops are multo-fancy nuts-expensive conflagerations . With this cheapo motorcycle version It feels like I beat them. It is a very sturdy thing. Momma looks at me and says, “Don’t kid me Bub, I know you, you got the rack, you’re buying the bike.”

Of course I assembled it immediately and had to try it out on the tow, and on the trailer. It has a long stem and the hole for the hitch locking pin is at the very end, so I will have to drill a 5/8ths new hole or two in it.

Myron, hope you find the bike that works for you. We’re looking forward to you finding an E-Bike now that you have a motorcycle carrier. I’m also going to try a motorcycle carrier, even though the 1UP 2” Super Duty Single in silver looks so appealing.

I bought a MotoTote carrier in 2001 or 2002 for a 2001 Honda VFR800. It weighs almost 78 pounds and the current model is listed at 58 pounds. https://www.mototote.com/mototote-mt...e-carrier.html

I removed my ramp which saves 19.6 pounds, leaving the old carrier at 58 pounds. The Lectric E-Bike comes in at around 63 pounds, and I can save 10 pounds by removing the battery and saddle. I’ve tried it behind the truck and plan to see what all that weight behind the Escape does to the hitch weight. I also am using a Canyon Dancer Bar Harness which is useful for motorcycles with fairings. https://www.mototote.com/Canyon-Danc...ess-33505.html

Good luck finding a bike that works for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Mototote Carriera.jpg  
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #216

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
I ordered a hitch mount bike rack and it arrived the other day. Thing is, I don’t have an e-bike, or any bike. Yet. Just the rack. Momma says nothing, but I know that look.

This may be nuts. I keep telling her I keep jumping back and forth from wanting an e-bike to not wanting to spend the money for an e-bike. The right size e-bike is not a cheap choice, the alternative compromise e-bike might not be comfortable enough to use so much. Will this be a new toy fated ultimately to fade unused into a dark corner of the garage? Will it become a not cost effective choice? Will I end up fit and happy or will I age quickly -- racked with guilt?

The new rack has become a fun deal for me, because all the bike racks I’ve seen at bike shops are multo-fancy nuts-expensive conflagerations . With this cheapo motorcycle version It feels like I beat them. It is a very sturdy thing. Momma looks at me and says, “Don’t kid me Bub, I know you, you got the rack, you’re buying the bike.”

Of course I assembled it immediately and had to try it out on the tow, and on the trailer. It has a long stem and the hole for the hitch locking pin is at the very end, so I will have to drill a 5/8ths new hole or two in it.
Sorry to revive an old thread- but what kind of rack is this, and have you used it on the trailer, and did it warn you not to? Looking for this type of rack for my Escape to carry my ebike.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #217

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Send a message via MSN to Gary252 Send a message via Yahoo to Gary252
I use a Kuat NV platform rack for two Giant dual suspension e-bikes on the back of my 5.0. I always remove the batteries. I have to turn the handlebars inline on the inside bike and remove the right pedal to prevent rubbing on the spare tire. Folds up easily when not in use. Kuat recommends this rack for e-bikes, some platform racks are not rated to carry e-bikes. I also have a cover should we encounter rain or dusty roads. May get an air compressor to blow off dust.
Gary252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #218

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have never used it on trailer or truck. (Still no bike.) Although it is heavy I think a 60 pound electric bike could work since the trailer hitch is rated at 150 pounds of cargo. You can see here what it looks like when on my truck receiver. If I did mount it on the 19 thinking I would for sure need to drill another pin hole in it.
Attached Thumbnails
rackA1.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #219

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
I have never used it on trailer or truck. (Still no bike.) Although it is heavy I think a 60 pound electric bike could work since the trailer hitch is rated at 150 pounds of cargo. You can see here what it looks like when on my truck receiver. If I did mount it on the 19 thinking I would for sure need to drill another pin hole in it.
Thanks. Although now I've been reminded the batteries are on the back so I probably shouldn't add another 100 lbs or so back there! I think I will get a folding ramp to roll it up into the truck.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #220

Trailer: Pending
Needing bike rack for e-bike with fenders for 5.0

I have a Trek ebike that has fenders and I'm looking for a bike rack that would work on the back of a 2020 5.0. Just curious what rack you use? I have a Hollywood sport rider rack that is great for the heavy ebikes but it says NOT to use it on a trailer or 5th wheel. Plus, the Escape 5.0 says the limit is 150lbs. The rack and two e-bikes would be close if not exceed the limit. We are heading out with our new to us 2020 5.0 to be camp hosts in a park in CA and it's disappointing to not be able to bring the bike.
JoanP is offline   Reply With Quote