Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2022, 08:40 PM   #241
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Adrian
What’s the weight limit on that contraption? I used to be 5’10” but I’ve shrunk. Then the nurse marked me down as 5’2”. You can imagine what that did to my BMI. I’d have to get wooden blocks for the pedals.
Watch out for those RCMP speed traps.
IowA Dave
L bikes tend to be for people 6' and taller. 5'10" would be a M, 5'2" would be a S.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:42 AM   #242

Trailer: 2012 E19
I have been researching ebikes and dreaming about the future. It occurs to me that electronic components could be damaged if left outside on the rear of a trailer, especially if one were to encounter a heavy rain while driving. Even the dust raised by the rig could be bad for multi-thousand-dollar electrical stuff. So I'm starting to think about how else to transport a larger ebike.

My thought is, I'd like to someday have an ebike that is capable of traversing hilly, rocky, root-strewn trails. Well, most of the time I'd be more likely to ride on national forest roads and two-tracks, with a few groomed multi-purpose trails now and then, but I also want to be able to explore trails like this (Alpine Tunnel trail near St. Elmo CO):
Click image for larger version

Name:	18DSCF1813sm.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	63786
Yes, yes, I was the fool who took a non-suspension comfort bike on a very rough trail. The Trek survived, but what a jostling!

So I think large (26" or so) wheels with fat tires and a sizable battery would be important to me. But I don't have a pickup truck, so my transport choices would be to stuff the ebike into the back of the SUV or to stick it in the aisle of the trailer. The latter seems fraught with danger to the cabinetry, though. A folding ebike could fit in the SUV far better than a non-folding one (trying to wrestle my Trek into the SUV is a chore as it is, and it is far lighter weight than an ebike), but folding ebikes with 26" wheels are as rare as hen's teeth. And folding frames aren't going to be as strong and long-lived, of course; frame failures do happen sometimes at stress points, and weld strength can vary.

What are your thoughts on all this? Is there a solution I haven't thought of? (Besides winning the lottery so I can afford a new pickup truck, a carbon fiber bike, etc.)
Old 07-19-2022, 05:43 PM   #243
Site Team

a cover for your bike rack? works for us. keeps the road debris out of the bike works wwhen its dry out, and the rain off when its wet out.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:45 PM   #244

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
L bikes tend to be for people 6' and taller. 5'10" would be a M, 5'2" would be a S.
John this Hurley was advertised as fitting 5/10 to 6/4 but I agree it really is a push for 5/10. As far as the single gear goes we live in the Red River (of the North) Valley which is absolutely flat for anywhere I wish to ride. The joke in our town is that we get excited when we have to go down a small hill and under the railway tracks
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:53 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Adrian
What’s the weight limit on that contraption? I used to be 5’10” but I’ve shrunk. Then the nurse marked me down as 5’2”. You can imagine what that did to my BMI. I’d have to get wooden blocks for the pedals.
Watch out for those RCMP speed traps.
IowA Dave
I think the weight limit is 250 lb but since we're not at home I can't check it. Between your height and weight Dave I think I may not lend you the bike
Old 07-19-2022, 08:04 PM   #246
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
John this Hurley was advertised as fitting 5/10 to 6/4 but I agree it really is a push for 5/10. As far as the single gear goes we live in the Red River (of the North) Valley which is absolutely flat for anywhere I wish to ride. The joke in our town is that we get excited when we have to go down a small hill and under the railway tracks
Heh. My small coastal county goes from zero to over 3000 ft elevations. Yah wanna watch some insane mountain biking, Google Soquel Demonstration Forest, aka Demo.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:19 PM   #247

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
a cover for your bike rack? works for us. keeps the road debris out of the bike works wwhen its dry out, and the rain off when its wet out.
Hmm, interesting. I looked them up and now I see what you mean. What kind are you using? Does yours have the 'see-through' material for brake lights to shine through?
Old 07-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #248
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Hmm, interesting. I looked them up and now I see what you mean. What kind are you using? Does yours have the 'see-through' material for brake lights to shine through?
yup, it does.

I have this one,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WENDUS/
Old 07-20-2022, 01:06 AM   #249

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
I’m riding a Trek Rail for about eighteen month now, over 2,500 miles all on mountain bike trails, it is a 29” beast, a lot of fun. I carry it on a 1-UP at the back of my e19 (sometime with a second bike) covered with “Team Obsidian” from Amazon, it is not expensive and does the job but getting ready is a royal pain. Get the bike on the rack after removing the battery, secure with heavy chain & lock, cover the paddles with soft foam to protect the bike cover, get the cover over the bike, and tie down using multiple straps to minimize the movement of the cover during travel. I have close to ten thousand miles of driving with it at the back of the trailer, rain protection is good but dust still gets under the bike-cover and all over the bike. When in camp need to remember to cover the bike at night in case it rains.
Attached Thumbnails
ShaferClimb-021.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:37 AM   #250

Quote:
Heh. My small coastal county goes from zero to over 3000 ft elevations. Yah wanna watch some insane mountain biking, Google Soquel Demonstration Forest, aka Demo.
I know about your area John. In 2010 on the way to our daughter's wedding in Pacific Grove we had many delays on our trip resulting in arriving in your town at 3am to our hotel, having driven there from SFO. It was no fun over the mountains when I was very tired after having left home in southern ON very early the previous morning.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #251

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
A person's height is not a very good indicator of what size bike you need. I am 5 10 but have a short torso and long legs...my neighbor is just slightly shorter but has a long torso and short legs. you really need to size a bike by inseam length. The ideal length for optimum pedaling efficiency is from pedal axle to top of seat is 1.09 times your inseam length. Different bikes have different frame geometries that makes them feel and ride differently.

There are some nice fat tire ebikes that can ride all but the most technical mountain bike trails, there are steel frame beach ebikes with many in between. Everyone has a different goal. My current bike is not an ebike but it is realatively light with lots of gears to help me crank up event the steepest (Cannondale CX2 aluminum frame). Go to your local bike shop and ride some bikes, ask questions and buy local if you can.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:47 PM   #252
Site Team

let me extend that, properly a bike should be sized by BOTH torso+arm length AND leg length. I am 6' tall but have a 31" inseam, so a relatively long torso and short legs. I like Specialized bicycles, because they have a 'long cockpit', the seat to handlebar distance is somewhat longer than average, which fits me naturally.

you have some fudge via changing the handlebar stem, but a frame that is naturally short on the seat to bar distance will never feel right with an extra long bar stem (Kona mountain bikes were particularly bad for me in this respect).
Old 07-21-2022, 04:00 AM   #253

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
let me extend that, properly a bike should be sized by BOTH torso+arm length AND leg length. I am 6' tall but have a 31" inseam, so a relatively long torso and short legs. I like Specialized bicycles, because they have a 'long cockpit', the seat to handlebar distance is somewhat longer than average, which fits me naturally.

you have some fudge via changing the handlebar stem, but a frame that is naturally short on the seat to bar distance will never feel right with an extra long bar stem (Kona mountain bikes were particularly bad for me in this respect).
Terry and I are avid cyclists and many times travel in our 5.0 to bike/hike/camp.

I have short legs, a long torso, and short arms, so I have trouble finding bikes to fit.

We needed folding bikes to fit our camper/traveling needs, in the winter, otherwise we ride recumbent e-trikes 60% of the year. Most folding bikes are cheap and don’t fit me, more one-size-fits-all. I’m not part of the “all”. One 17 mile ride on a Brompton with narrow 16” wheels, and a short wheelbase was an excruciating experience. Even the shop owner agreed many do not fit Bromptoms. One reason we purchased Tern folding bikes is their longer wheelbase, and Tern’s Andros adjustable stem. The dealer had it 90% adjusted for me on the first demo ride. Tern also mades a taller, folding stempost to get the last 10% of fit. They aren’t cheap, but the most expensive bike is one that does not fit. We have Tern Vektron S10 e-bikes. Terry’s is on its third year and mine the second, but you can’t fly batteries to Europe.

We’re currently in Europe with Tern Verge non-electric bikes and are having a great time. Terry is originally from Linz, Austria, so part of our trip is visiting relatives. Our Tern Verge folding bikes have the 55mm Big Apple tires, from our Vektrons, that float over cobblestone roads, yet are quite fast on smooth pavement. There are some very good wide tires available, but most are cheap and slow. We’ve already traveled on numerous trains where a standard non-folding bike is not welcome. After hiking in the German Alps in Oberstdor this week, we start a 370 mile bike ride down the Donau River.

Fit for some of us is hard to achieve, but the adjustability of Tern’s folding bikes works for us. I know of too many people who don’t bike because they tried biking on a bike that just didn’t fit. Take your time and find a bike that fits your body.

Food for thought,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:23 AM   #254

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:

Exactly! I am opposite of you 5 10 and 33 in inseam....the Specialized have too long a top tube for me. The Kona on the other hand seemed too short when I tried it...very twitchy.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote