Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 AM   #101

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I have a Rad Rover Fat tire bike that rides on a 1Up rack behind my trailer. I love the bike. The 1Up rack is also just great and I bought a fat tire option for it (not expensive) so my tires would fit in it. I have knee issues and have trouble bending my knees far enough to do a full circle pedal. I think the extra height of the Suntour Suspension Seat Post would be a good idea … at least for me … haven't gotten one yet but planning to. I have fenders front and back and admittingly they are a bit short …. now Rad makes full length fenders. I also have a rear rack and panniers. I wanted these for grocery and … well OK beer runs (enough beer can get pretty heavy) as well as carrying laundry.

I rarely have the throttle wide open because the trails I'm on won't let me. Range is good … I have never run out of battery power and the handle bar display is good enough to track and warn me about how much distance I have left.

When towing in the rain, my bike gets quite a bath … you might want to find a belted cover ( more on that in another post). I cover my meter and other controls on the handle bars with Al3 foil … works good. My bike electronic controls got tested this February when a weather forecast for Storm Warnings for the Lone Pine (Eastern Sierras - California) area got me to break camp and hit the road. I made a run for Reno hoping to loose some altitude and get out of the storm. No luck …. it was snowing very hard there so off down I-80 to Sacramento - hoping to loose enough altitude to escape the snow zone and find rain. I was the last vehicle that they allowed on I-80. All was OK except for other drivers and a salt / plow truck. The plow kept pulling over and signaling for us to pass but the two cars in front of me were too afraid. I guess, and I couldn't get by them and the plow truck. This held me in "formation" right in the "plume"
behind the plow and I got really hosed with salt water. I rather expected this to be the end of all electrics on the bike. The next day provided lots of rain and everything got washed off I guess. After all that there was no issue with the bike …. except the chain was hungry … no starving for oil.

I'm impressed with the Rad Rover and Rad bikes in general. The City bike with its narrower tires looks great …. if I didn't think I wanted fat tires, I would look very hard at them. Then there is the Folding Mini … great to store in the back of your truck for security or to keep it out of the weather. I'm 6'1" (or was in college) and with the seat and handle bars extended all the way out to fit me, it felt a little too flexible. A non issue if I was shorter.

For those of us with well used bodies combined with adequate growth rings, electric assist bikes are a gift! A regular pedal bike is not an option for me at this time. I'm just delighted to be on a bike again. Yea …. Rad Rover!

Tom
Old 11-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Great story. I want the fat tires too. Had to swallow hard when I saw the prices of the 1UP racks.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #103

Needed to make a quick trip to Arizona this past week. After an internet search I found an e-bike shop in Scottsdale just down the road from where we had to be that offers test rides in the parking lot. They had a Rad Rover. Nice lady let me test it out, and, I think It fits!
Attached Thumbnails
ebike02A.jpg  
Old 12-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #104

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Just purchased (ordered) a Specialized 3.0 Como EBike after lots of research & reviews online. Wanted a upright, comfort riding position with pedal assist & no throttle. Will ride on new 1UP rack, thanks to this forum. Test rode a 2.0 Como & could not keep from smiling - felt young again !!
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #105

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
We, too, are looking at the Como. Presently, on the fence between the 2.0 and 3.0. If you don't mind my asking, why did you settle on the 3.0?
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #106

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Needed to make a quick trip to Arizona this past week. After an internet search I found an e-bike shop in Scottsdale just down the road from where we had to be that offers test rides in the parking lot. They had a Rad Rover. Nice lady let me test it out, and, I think It fits!
Love the colour, Myron. Did you buy it?

I am not near ready to buy an e-bike yet, I am still having fun getting needed exercise on a regular bike, but I would like to try one out. Maybe a shop like this would be the thing to do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #107

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Must admit the 2.0 was a wonderful test ride, but went for the 3.0 for power & additional speed, also has a built in light system. Also wanted the Matt black color to match my graphics and tow vehicle badges.
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #108

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Myron you're lucky that I don't know how to photo shop. That headless person was just begging for a head to be added.

Yes, we want to know if you're going to buy it. Is the like factor larger than the ouch factor?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #109

Trailer: 2012 Casita
On folding the Radmini--I run it up a ramp into the back of my pickup and then fold It up. A regular bike would take up too much room so the mini works well for me.
Slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #110

Short answer is no I didn't buy it. That RadRover wasn't for sale, it was a rental demo they keep in the showroom for their little organized rent-an-e-bike excursions. The Rads are evidently not available at dealerships. Only sold direct from the guys in Oregon. The (short?) lady in the picture was more than willing to sell me another brand out of her shop but I'm still doing my due diligence and besides, we were hopping a plane back home that night.

I did much like the tryout, it felt good, regardless of the rider looking clearly way out of proportion to the bike. Well, not the first time I've bourne that cross. You short guys have all the luck. (I once owned a 1965 Ducati 250 sport, so I know silly.)

Was interviewing salesmen at two e-bike dealerships in ABQ today. Picking brains. Consensus is I need a 21 inch frame and 29" tires, minimum, which the RadRover is not. Problem with dealers is they can provide one, (Kona, Trek) but their prices are in the $5K-PLUS area. Don't think momma will go for that.

The beat goes on....
Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #111

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
...Consensus is I need a 21 inch frame and 29" tires, minimum, which the RadRover is not. Problem with dealers is they can provide one, (Kona, Trek) but their prices are in the $5K-PLUS area. Don't think momma will go for that.

The beat goes on....
there is absolutely no need to settle for a bike that you don't like or that doesn't fit you correctly. Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for one of these Bafang mid drive motor and battery kits. Pick out and buy a 21" frame size or larger with 29" wheels bike and then add one of these kits and you will be set up with a perfect custom fit ebike. https://em3ev.com/shop/bafang-48v-1000w-bbshd-kit/ Mine took all of about an hour to assemble and it works great. That was several years ago and there have been no quality issues. A good seller will build a reliable custom battery with high quality cells to go with your kit.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #112

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I've been doing a lot of research as well on these e-bikes so I find this thread very interesting. The RAD bikes do seem to have a lot of good press and reviews. I came across another interesting company I haven't seen mentioned here yet who claim to have some very comfortable bikes, theyre called Biktrix out of Saskatoon Sakatchewan. Worth a look?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
there is absolutely no need to settle for a bike that you don't like or that doesn't fit you correctly..
Couldn't agree more. The fit is first, second and third on the priority list. I used to think that I could ride just about any bike just adjusting the seat and handlebar height. But there's a heck of a lot more considerations than that and with Myron's height etc. getting the right bike frame etc. would seem to be more important than looking for an off the shelf solution.

And you're right. There's lots of options for adding the e component onto the best sized frame.

Ron
Old 12-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #114

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I don’t know if you missed this but here is a Voltbike that has a 41 inch high seat.
Attached Thumbnails
E40CAA5F-7FF3-4ED2-854A-6D61D5FA8084.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #115

Total length 75 inches? That'll work. The trailer is 80 inches wide. Will look them up. Size matters, of course. Big issue then would be the price. Two shops here think they can fit me but we're talking in the $5K range. Just learned of the Giant Fathom E, an ebike they claim is suitable for a 6'6" rider. Will have to check them out tomorrow. Will also check out Biktrix (sounds like a breakfast cereal.)

Dave, I looked over your suggestion at that site. There are projects, and then there are projects. Tempting, but not feeling quite up for the work, me being at a lower pay grade. Sometimes I just want to sit back in the recliner, close my eyes, and reach my hand out expecting dear one will just plop a bud into it. Or, a LaBatt.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #116

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I think we all know that 2k of a 5k bike goes to the store as they have overhead. I like to buy direct just like most of us did when we purchased a new Escape. I could not imagine what an Escape would cost paying for a dealers overhead as well.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #117

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Myron
You might take a look at Specialized bikes. I know they build some in XXL which would cover your height. Their XL comes close and possibly raising the handlebars and seat post could make the difference. I would recommend an integrated system rather than modification as the motor and battery add a considerable amount of weight to the bike.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #118

Thanks, I will be looking at the Specialized line of XXL. True believers and dealers in bike-world are amazingly helpful. Was advised that this site,
Custom Bicycles Made In Boulder Colorado by Zinn Cycles

is run by a 6'6" guy (Len Zinn) who's been building custom bikes for the vertically unchallenged. Just filled out his your-size-matters measurements form, and now waiting for his suggested bike size recommendations. If his bikes turn out to be out of my price range at least I'll have that to help with making choices.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #119

Latest update on my search for an ebike that fits...

Zinn Cycles in Boulder, CO sent me their recommendations based upon my physical measurements. Had to tell them thanks but...$9,000 ? Really? Well, at least I got great advice on a proper size.

Will be taking Zinn's advice to a bike shop, Fat Tire Cycles, I found in ABQ. They let me test ride their EcoMotion Core Pro and said they could do change-outs to the fork/stem, and seat tube to make it better for me. We shall see. Meanwhile, when there I moaned out loud about the big bucks them outrageously designed (but really beautiful) hitch mounted carriers sold in bike stores.

Erik, the owner said to look online at motorcycle carriers. Never thought of that! Perfect. Just ordered one for $79bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
FatComps.jpg   fatt11.jpg  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #120

Wow, 9 grand, I can see how that was an instant no-go.

One thing that I've noticed in my using a lot of different bikes over the years is that raising handle bars and seats only goes so far in making the bike a good fit. The only concern that I'd have is the length of the top tube. It seems to me that raising the seat etc. doesn't really change the "arm room" if there isn't enough to begin with. Maybe that can be improved with the design of the handle bars.

Keep up the research, we're all learning something.

Ron