Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #161

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes the battery and seat remove easy to stow securely in the vehicle.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #162

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
guessing a 48V 15AH (?) battery is around 8-9 lbs, as the 48V 18AH I have is nearly 12 lbs.

one 60 lb bike on the back of a Escape is fine, its when you have two that you'd be in trouble.

2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #163

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
yes i have the RAD mini, The mini is the only one they had that will work for someone 5'2" . Their new one is nicer has a lower middle bar easier to step over to get on the bike also batteries improve every year.... but for the price i think the RAD is a very nice bike. it fits on my rear bike rack i bought fat tire supports for my rack.
What bike rack do you have? (Sorry if I asked this before...)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #164

phew, i just ordered the parts to convert my brothers 1999 vintage Trek 6000 hardtail mountain bike to an ebike, the prices have gone way up since I last looked a few months ago. ended up being $500 for the TSDZ2 middrive 48V 500W kit (modded with the brass drive gear for better durability, and a manual 'boost' thumb trigger throttle ), and $375 for a 48V 13AH battery that mounts in place of a water bottle holder. Those prices are shipped from a US vendor, as I couldn't find a chinese vendor who had more than a half dozen ratings, and amazon + ebay were useless.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
What bike rack do you have? (Sorry if I asked this before...)
imho, best RV hitch mount bike rack is the 1up, but they are $$$$. 2nd best is the Swagmann Escapee2

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/
Old 10-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #166

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Townie?

Jumping in late here... Myron, perhaps a Trek Electra Townie might work for you?

You can find them at REI (and use your 20% off coupon, if you are a member ($40 for life, IIRC)). The Townies are designed for a bolt-upright posture while riding and feature a "flat-foot design" (a seat post raked aft more than typical) which moves the seat back as it goes up, thus opening the cockpit for taller riders. My 6'5" long-legged buddy has borrowed mine and pronounced it comfortable. The flat-foot geometry is supposed to allow you to put your feet down on the ground at a stop without getting off the saddle.

The drive system is by Bosch; mid-drive at the cranks, 400 amp-hour battery, type 1 assist (pedal-assist only, no throttle, 20mph max speed) and the bikes can be had with derailleurs front and rear or rear only.

REI has a great test ride policy. I've taken bikes for over an hour to really wring them out.

Dave
Old 10-06-2019, 11:30 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD escape View Post
... The drive system is by Bosch; mid-drive at the cranks, 400 amp-hour battery, ...
um, no WAY it a 400 AH battery. maybe 400 WATT hours, its likely either 36V or 48V and 6-10 amp-hour.

if you get one of those Townie Go! bikes, I'd get the 8i 8 speed INTERNAL HUB gear version, so you can shift when stopped. with pedal assist, you NEED to downshift when you stop, and novice and/or casual riders will consistently forget to do this before they stop, with a derailleur you HAVE to be pedalling to shift gears, if you stop in high gear, you're really stuck.

Me, I do NOT like the Townie riding position. ALL your weight is on your bum, I prefer a bike where you're leaning forward enough to balance your weight between the seat, your legs, and your arms. The townie position is terrible for climbing hills (although e-assist will greatly aid you in that).
Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #168

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
um, no WAY it a 400 AH battery. maybe 400 WATT hours, its likely either 36V or 48V and 6-10 amp-hour.

Correct! Yes, sorry about that. 400 watts it is.

if you get one of those Townie Go! bikes, I'd get the 8i 8 speed INTERNAL HUB gear version, so you can shift when stopped. with pedal assist, you NEED to downshift when you stop, and novice and/or casual riders will consistently forget to do this before they stop, with a derailleur you HAVE to be pedalling to shift gears, if you stop in high gear, you're really stuck.

Very true. In fact, I have the 8i and would not get one of the other versions, for the fact mentioned above (shifting while stopped is effortless) and because the IGH (internally geared hubs) are much less maintenance (although they do weigh more - but on the electric bike, who cares? ;-) Others might not think the IGH is worth the extra money.

Me, I do NOT like the Townie riding position. ALL your weight is on your bum, I prefer a bike where you're leaning forward enough to balance your weight between the seat, your legs, and your arms. The townie position is terrible for climbing hills (although e-assist will greatly aid you in that).
Riding position - oh so very personal! Often, it comes down to old injuries and what hurts most. Neck issues can keep you off a "road bike" which bends you over enough that you stare at the front tire with your spine kept straight. Wrists are an issue for many with arthritis - which causes one to wish for the more upright position. Not being able to get off the saddle quickly while stopping makes others go for the "flat foot" geometry. And then there's the sore butt issue. This last one I solved on my full suspension MTB by laying out the $100 for a Specialized Body Geometry saddle. That $100 took me from not enjoying a 25 minute ride in padded shorts to happily riding all day with regular street shorts.

All the variables make shopping for a bicycle painful, while offering the ability to ride pain-free if you do your homework... =)
Old 10-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #169

yeah, I don't do the totally bent over position anymore. After much playing around, I found myself most comfortable on my current 'hybrid' bike when the bars are just about as high as the saddle, with a 4" stem and flat/almost straight bars. My motorcycle had much the same riding position, the Europeans call that 'sport touring' as opposed to full out sport-bike.