Electric Assist Bicycle - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #121

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Clearly I will have to compromise if I want to ride one. The one thing that bothers me about my visit to Fat Tire Cycles is Erik said that EcoMotion bike I test rode was "one size fits all." Yeah, right. Probably means there's no alternative to it's top tube length, which I think is the key parameter. Will be seeing this week what that measurement is, compared to the Zinn XXL 26.5".

In fairness, regards Zinn's off the charts pricing well, their's must all be custom built's and - could be their thinking is if you're that tall you must be just another millionaire NBA player.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #122

Well now. Just when I think Zinn Cycles of Boulder have priced themselves out of my e-bike choices (re: $9K) they pull me back in again!

Got an email late yesterday from Zinn’s gen mgr offering to sell me one of their standard XXL mountain bikes they are willing to convert for me into an e-bike. Base price ($1699) plus conversion comes to $3199. Sales tax an additional 8.8%.

Was planning to go today to Fat Tire Cycles here and close a deal, but now, I got to consider -- should I stick with that plan, buy their cheaper one-size-fits-all ebike, with shop modifications to the front fork, or go for more expensive but doable XXL frame Zinn is offering. Zinn’s email didn’t give technical particulars, like watts, throttle or pedal assist, etc., but the Zinn tires are 29” x 2.35” compared to 26” x 4” tires at Fat Tire.

Guessing would need to drive to Boulder, Co to pick it up. That’s 7 hrs, 452 miles. I could take ET-19. (Wonder if there’s snow at the Raton Pass.) Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #123

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #124

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Picked up my Specialized Como 3.0 EBike last Saturday. Very impressed with build & design, does not look like a EBike at all, everything was built as one unit instead of bicycle add ons. Most fun I have had on a bike since I was a kid, find myself riding every day. This model is pedal assist, no throttle, but the Turbo mode - WOW!
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #125

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
It's only money. Go with the one that will make you happiest!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #126

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
It's only money. Go with the one that will make you happiest!
Iowa Dave
Old 12-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Donath View Post
everything was built as one unit instead of bicycle add ons
Conversions have changed over the years. Our first e-bike, years ago, was powered by a common conversion unit. The battery was low tech, the add on electric motor with a chain drive was low tech. It was fun but it did have drawbacks compared to our current bikes.

The conversion options available now are pretty mainstream and I wouldn't consider a bike with a conversion unit to be a lower level than one from the factory.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
31-08-2012 2-01-51 PM  004_resize.JPG  
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #128

Just got an email from Zinn. The plot thickens. Their converted standard mountain bike- BNT 29er, with 750w motor, battery and charger and display, and gear monitor: $3950.00. Didn't mention sales tax and guessing this is a pickup at Boulder.

Was at Fat Cycles today. Erik is very persuasive. Regards fit: Handlebars on his fat bike 6 inches too low, stem not replaceable but could change out the handlebars with something more like Ron's Blue Racer, thereby cutting that drop in half. His tires are 26'es, and we could get longer seat stem, all this increasing the top tube length, i.e. reach, at least in theory.

( I know I know, but if I had your money, guys, I'd throw mine away.)

Ron that looks just like the bike I had back in 1955. It was a very happy red. My people ask me why, these days, at my age, I would ever want to ride a bike. I just send them this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
GuggenA.jpg  
Old 12-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #129

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Just got an email from Zinn. The plot thickens. Their converted standard mountain bike- BNT 29er, with 750w motor, battery and charger and display, and gear monitor: $3950.00. Didn't mention sales tax and guessing this is a pickup at Boulder.

Was at Fat Cycles today. Erik is very persuasive. Regards fit: Handlebars on his fat bike 6 inches too low, stem not replaceable but could change out the handlebars with something more like Ron's Blue Racer, thereby cutting that drop in half. His tires are 26'es, and we could get longer seat stem, all this increasing the top tube length, i.e. reach, at least in theory.

( I know I know, but if I had your money, guys, I'd throw mine away.)

Ron that looks just like the bike I had back in 1955. It was a very happy red. My people ask me why, these days, at my age, I would ever want to ride a bike. I just send them this picture.
I am 6' - 2" tall and my mountain bike has 27.5" wheels and an extra large frame. I love the larger frame and larger wheels. There is no way that I would ever buy another bike with 26" wheels.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #130

I heard that, Dave.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #131

Around here we call the style of our old electric bike a "Beach Cruiser"

That's quite a jump in the quote. Maybe you'll have to ask them if the new quote was a mis-print. Tell them you were ready to go with the original quote but the new one ............

Ron
Old 12-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #132

I ordered a hitch mount bike rack and it arrived the other day. Thing is, I don’t have an e-bike, or any bike. Yet. Just the rack. Momma says nothing, but I know that look.

This may be nuts. I keep telling her I keep jumping back and forth from wanting an e-bike to not wanting to spend the money for an e-bike. The right size e-bike is not a cheap choice, the alternative compromise e-bike might not be comfortable enough to use so much. Will this be a new toy fated ultimately to fade unused into a dark corner of the garage? Will it become a not cost effective choice? Will I end up fit and happy or will I age quickly -- racked with guilt?

The new rack has become a fun deal for me, because all the bike racks I’ve seen at bike shops are multo-fancy nuts-expensive conflagerations . With this cheapo motorcycle version It feels like I beat them. It is a very sturdy thing. Momma looks at me and says, “Don’t kid me Bub, I know you, you got the rack, you’re buying the bike.”

Of course I assembled it immediately and had to try it out on the tow, and on the trailer. It has a long stem and the hole for the hitch locking pin is at the very end, so I will have to drill a 5/8ths new hole or two in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rack2A.jpg  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #133

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
there are enough of us boomers that if you decided to unload it, you'd probably have an easy time. i say go for it. tell santa.

edited to add that tom warfield who is on this site and is ordering a 5.o has one. if you want to keep up with the warfields, or ask questions.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #134

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Nice rack...I like reasonably priced products that will serve the purpose.
Until you get your bike you can put a log on it. Just pull out the end how much you need for the fire that night and cut it off.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #135

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Put more log on the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Nice rack...I like reasonably priced products that will serve the purpose.
Until you get your bike you can put a log on it. Just pull out the end how much you need for the fire that night and cut it off.
I worked with two guys we called Blake and Wild Kingdom. They lived in a mobile home out in the country. They had a circular metal fireplace in their “living room”. In the far other end of the trailer was a window. On super bowl Weekend they invited me to a party. When I arrived they had removed the window and lifted,with help, about a 35 foot REA vintage untreated cedar light pole.
It was laying the length of the trailer on the floor. One end propped up into the mouth of the metal fireplace. It was propped up enough that they could use an old buck saw to cut off another hunk when the fire started to die down. Alcohol was involved, no trailer fire ensued and the boys were legends on the kill floor of the packing house where we worked. So I could see the adaptability of the new log ,Err, I mean bike carrier.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #136

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Nice rack...
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #137

I finally got my Rad Mini step thru. I love it. I have not yet tried folding it, though, and not sure I'd take it camping often. But it is a very nice bike. We have some big hills just to leave our 1 mile long street, and I can now pedal up them with relative ease (and max power...).
Old 05-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #138
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I finally got my Rad Mini step thru. I love it. I have not yet tried folding it, though, and not sure I'd take it camping often. But it is a very nice bike. We have some big hills just to leave our 1 mile long street, and I can now pedal up them with relative ease (and max power...).
I am very happy for you Bobbie54. You will find the freedom of your youth on those west coast hills. I am at the rally and noticed several electric bikes. Maybe I will catch up with you when we are next in Fidalgo Bay and you can show me some of the cool spots on Whidbey Island.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I am very happy for you Bobbie54. You will find the freedom of your youth on those west coast hills. I am at the rally and noticed several electric bikes. Maybe I will catch up with you when we are next in Fidalgo Bay and you can show me some of the cool spots on Whidbey Island.
Sounds like a plan. So far I haven't gone far from home (have to break in the saddle!)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #140

Trailer: TBD
The Rad bike looks promising and I have not met a dissatisfied customer yet. There are a lot of Trek electric assist bikes here in Port Townsend but they are 2-3 times more expensive than the Rad however the frame may be better but not a better "value" in my opinion.