Electric Assist Bicycle - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Electric Assist Bicycle

Wondering if anyone owns an electric assist Bicycle. If so what brand, how do you like it, and any other information you think I should know. They are substantial cost wise.
I miss cursing around on my bikes. Used to tour when I was younger. But old injuries have come back to haunt me And knees are not what they use to be. No where near ready for knee replacements yet. So just considering options.

Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Wondering if anyone owns an electric assist Bicycle. If so what brand, how do you like it, and any other information you think I should know. They are substantial cost wise.
I miss cursing around on my bikes. Used to tour when I was younger. But old injuries have come back to haunt me And knees are not what they use to be. No where near ready for knee replacements yet. So just considering options.
My wife loves hers. It is a Chinese bike so no help on model. Go into a couple of good bike shops and start riding bikes and asking questions, most shops have them now and many are from bike manufacturers you would recognize. Yes they are expensive but get a good one and it will last.

Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
A friend has gotten the Copenhagen Wheel.

I have no idea how expensive it is, but my friend likes it.

MIT report on Copenhagen Wheel - turn an ordinary bike into a hybrid e-bike
Old 07-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
A friend has gotten the Copenhagen Wheel.
Hey Mary. And Ches has a Volt Bike and seems to really like it: Electric bikes. Voltbike Yukon is the most affordable electric fat bike. VoltBike is consumer direct ebike company.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21 currently pulled by a 2014 Chevy Traverse
My wife and I have the Stow model from Volton Bicycles. I was on the website and they don't seem to have that model anymore. It's a folding model. The other models are nice but we were looking for easy storage.

https://voltonbicycles.com/

An edit: For transparency I should state that the company is owned by my nephew.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have a Rad bike love it really fun -mine folds. the new ones have a lower bar so easier to step over to get on for those that have limited mobility wish i had that one mine is a little difficult to get on -I'm very short..
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
I'm planning to get a Rad bike soon. Have ridden several and like them. The bikes are heavy but the power assist takes care of that as long as you aren't hauling them around much.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes they are heavy- i carry mine on my bike rack I got bigger tire holders for the fat tires works great.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
I too have a Rad bike … my model is called a Rad Rover. Costs about $1500, weighs about 63 lbs, is quite amazing with how fast and far it can go - typically ~ about 20 mph and ~ 20 miles between charges (weight of rider and terrain effects both). It can be either all electric or power assist at various levels.

My Rover is a fixed frame - I'm happy with it but wished I had looked harder at the Mini which is a folding bike. My Rover lives on a bike rack ( 1-Up) on the back of my trailer and I struggle with it being out in the weather. The Mini can likely fold up and fit under a canopy in the back of a pick up = more security and weather protection. Basically the same battery, motor and running gear. Rad makes several models and I have liked dealing with this company. I'd buy another bike from them.

Traveling through Baja Mexico last winter, my bike was a magnet for attention - especially from younger Mexicans. I was a bit nervous but nothing was stolen or damaged …. on bike or trailer. A fat tired electric bike was a real curiosity!

www.radpowerbikes.com

Tom
Old 07-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
https://electricbikereview.com/ In researching electric assist bikes I came across this web site for anyone interested. They do a review on 183 different electric bikes. A write up and a 15 min video on each one. Very well done. I can see that I’m going to be on this for days. I like to be well informed before I go shopping and trying. Never knew there were so many out there. I guess they are really popular in Europe, just catching on over here. Thanks for all the replies.

Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Traitor | - »