FOP SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade Kit - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #91

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
At least one other user just keeps the flap unlocked and uses the internal slide on the SAM-1 as the main functional damper. Just another option.

Nice work. Enjoy the upgrade!
I figured that left unlatched the flap would tend to rattle when it's windy - it's kind of annoying to be laying in bed at night and have it start banging. Also seems like the air flow would be better with the flap removed, the hood over the flap is fairly shallow.

I just went back over to the trailer to pop the cover off and remove the flap....good old ETI, in being extra thorough, caulked the cover edges so it's sealed in place. Sigh...I'll probably still go back and fuss with it to get it off and remove the flap, it's just a small bit of caulking but I wasn't prepared to deal with that today. The project that never quite ends!

Old 07-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #92

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I figured that left unlatched the flap would tend to rattle when it's windy - it's kind of annoying to be laying in bed at night and have it start banging. Also seems like the air flow would be better with the flap removed, the hood over the flap is fairly shallow.

I just went back over to the trailer to pop the cover off and remove the flap....good old ETI, in being extra thorough, caulked the cover edges so it's sealed in place. Sigh...I'll probably still go back and fuss with it to get it off and remove the flap, it's just a small bit of caulking but I wasn't prepared to deal with that today. The project that never quite ends!
🤔 Bit of caulking? 😄 let me know how that works out.

Chotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #93

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B "The Errant Escape"
I decided to leave the original vent in place. Unlike some posts, I did not have to trim the exhaust duct on the SAM, it just nestled against the exhaust vent grill. Did not see a need to mess around with the exterior sealing of the trailer. SAM certainly seems to work well.

Will probably leave the flap unlatched, but may have to seal up the excess area on the vent, since the SAM exhaust duct is much smaller than the original. Will go with it a while and see.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #94

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 Bit of caulking? 😄 let me know how that works out.
I took the exterior vent hood cover off today. It took a bit of tedious work to carefully remove the caulking around it in order to pop it off, but not that bad. With the hood cover off the flap easily bends to pull out the side hinge pins and remove it. I'll hang onto it in the unlikely event that I ever feel like I need to put it back on.

In the first photo you can see how the exhaust port of the SAM-1 fan goes out the opening. I filled in the area on both sides of the opening with foam although probably not necessary, it's all sealed metal in the back of the unit and the gasket that ETI made to go between the hood opening and the inside wall seemed to make a good seal.

I've had birds nest up under the kingpin arm on a fifth wheel in storage before so I didn't want to just leave the opening in the SAM-1 exposed, although again it would probably have been fine with the internal damper which when closed covers the opening completely right at the wall. But just for good measure I made a little screen cover from 1/4" wire hardware cloth and mounted it over the opening, it fits snugly but a few dots of caulking will ensure that it stays in place.

The outside hood cover snaps back on easily, very happy with it and now will be able to open and close the damper inside and not have to deal with that outside flap banging in the wind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood 8.jpg (86.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Hood 9.jpg (151.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
I installed mine today, other post made the process fairly easy. I cut the black exhaust tube off with a multi tool flush with the SAM-1 housing. The back of my fan hood cut was not as tall as the exhaust tube so I had to cut the hood so it would not block the new fan airflow. I used David suggestion and filled the area between the SAM-1 and hood with 1.25" rigid foam to better seal things off and installed rat wire to keep the pests out. The only other issue was the 4 sheet metal screws holding the SAM-1 in place wanted to strip out so I used machine screws and nylock nuts to mount the fan to the hood. I did find a loose fuse holder in the converter in the installation process which was causing my front lights to be intermittent. Good modification, it is major improvement over what was there.
Eddie

elongest is offline   Reply With Quote