FOP SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade Kit - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Just finished the FOP SAM-1 upgrade in my 5.0 today in preparation for a 30-day roadtrip that starts tomorrow morning. Need to spend some time in the cooler climes of Washington visiting family and friends in the PNW. THANKS to everyone who contributed to this thread; your comments made this a very easy and worthwhile modification. As always, I appreciate this forum and its members for all of their help keeping me in the lap of luxury.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Did the Fabulous Operating Products SAM-1-81 Range Hood Upgrade Kit disappear? Their website is down and Amazon states the product is "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
Old 02-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Did the Fabulous Operating Products SAM-1-81 Range Hood Upgrade Kit disappear? Their website is down and Amazon states the product is "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
I sure hope not because we ended up feeling it was a needed upgrade after all . We do like to cook inside but even the led light is wonderful Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Unfortunately I found an obituary online of Larry Milks who was the inventor and owner of FOP. This is so sad to see. He was a great person.

Regarding the SAM-1 it looks like you can still get one on ebay from rvpartswarehouse:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fabulous-Op...-/183501906879
Old 05-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Just got mine!

Received my SAM-1 kit yesterday. I have a couple questions for those that have installed them already.
1 It looks to me like the original hood fan housing is not only spot welded but glued also. My 5.0 is a 2017. Anyone else come across this?

2 The original vent with the flapper door is not only screwed on but bonded with with something that is incredibly durable. Where you able to get it out without destroying it and what is that stuff ?

3 Finally, seeing no door on the Sam vents exterior has anyone experienced water leaking back in? Not really worried when stationary more so when traveling.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Received my SAM-1 kit yesterday. I have a couple questions for those that have installed them already.
1 It looks to me like the original hood fan housing is not only spot welded but glued also. My 5.0 is a 2017. Anyone else come across this?

2 The original vent with the flapper door is not only screwed on but bonded with with something that is incredibly durable. Where you able to get it out without destroying it and what is that stuff ?

3 Finally, seeing no door on the Sam vents exterior has anyone experienced water leaking back in? Not really worried when stationary more so when traveling.
Can't help you with #1
#2 I think it is proflex same as what I removed to change defective outside light . I used a plastic scrapper and acetone and rags and there was no damage
#3 I was also concerned and was able to talk to owner at the time . He told me no worries just install the seal and go by instructions . It has been a few years now and no problems . I think it was Robert who also installed the newer Vent cover , I believe you have without the inside door . Just for looks I may someday do that. If I have that information wrong hopefully he will speak up . Pat
Old 05-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Same here on #1, since I installed ours on a 2018 19'.

#2: even on the newer model, the old proflex was abundant, requiring much elbow grease and solvent, trying to avoid the liner on the inside.

#3: second season now and no leaks. On the other hand, the newer outside air vent does a good job of covering the vent itself. I've attached a picture below. The close-up pic shows that I needed to keep the older outside vent grate to properly fit the new Sam vent in the opening. That may not be the same in your unit. I added lots of proflex when reinstalling into the opening. I even added some high density foam insulation to cover the opening from the unit to the wall, but that of course is no longer visible.

Couple of other thoughts: I used the install as an opportunity for finding a better way to mount the range hood. It was difficult to realign the screws once the spot welds were removed. I decided to replace the screws with longer bolts, extending into the cabinet above with a cap screw. I'm sure there are more elegant ways to attach the range hood but this worked.

Also, when I removed the spot welds on the hood, the unit lost much of its structural stability. I added corner braces and stainless steel bolts.

From what I can recall, it took all my strength to hold up the unit while remounting the hood. An extra hand would be great.

Hope that's helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1845.jpg   IMG_1846.jpg   IMG_1848.jpg   IMG_1849.jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post

#2: even on the newer model, the old proflex was abundant, requiring much elbow grease and solvent, trying to avoid the liner on the inside.

#3: second season now and no leaks. On the other hand, the newer outside air vent does a good job of covering the vent itself. I've attached a picture below. The close-up pic shows that I needed to keep the older outside vent grate to properly fit the new Sam vent in the opening. That may not be the same in your unit. I added lots of proflex when reinstalling into the opening. I even added some high density foam insulation to cover the opening from the unit to the wall, but that of course is no longer visible.

Couple of other thoughts: I used the install as an opportunity for finding a better way to mount the range hood. It was difficult to realign the screws once the spot welds were removed. I decided to replace the screws with longer bolts, extending into the cabinet above with a cap screw. I'm sure there are more elegant ways to attach the range hood but this worked.

Also, when I removed the spot welds on the hood, the unit lost much of its structural stability. I added corner braces and stainless steel bolts.

From what I can recall, it took all my strength to hold up the unit while remounting the hood. An extra hand would be great.

Hope that's helpful.
Nice work . I don't know if I had to remove any structure spot welds on ours . Must be a different animal. I'd have to dig out papers to get the memory working . There was maybe only 4 spot welds . I was able to use everything else and everything was solid Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0566.jpg   IMG_0567.jpg   IMG_0568.jpg   IMG_0569.jpg  
Old 05-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #49

So the Proflex is just around the perimeter of the vent, not holding it in? Sure seems to be really stuck in there. Take another lookin the am and see how much I’m going to have to chop up the hood. Going away for .a week, leaving Sunday so may just put it back together until I get back. Was hoping to try it out but don’t want to wind up with a non functioning hood or worse a big leaking hole in the side of trailer. Thanks for the info👍
Old 05-25-2019, 01:50 AM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post

I set out a few boxes and boards to support the hood in place while got everything aligned.

Regarding the included external vent, I was more comfortable having something that would lock closed to keep bugs/water out..

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #51

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
I set out a few boxes and boards to support the hood in place while got everything aligned.

Regarding the included external vent, I was more comfortable having something that would lock closed to keep bugs/water out..

This looks like the external vent cover that ETI is using now, and I like it a lot. Were you able to leave it in place and match up the SAM unit to it? And since you are using this vent, I assume it allows sufficient air flow for the higher capacity of the SAM fan - I was wondering about that since it doesn't open very far, but then the Heng fan doesn't move much air.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post

Regarding the outside Vent . One of the nice and valuable features is you slide and close from the inside of the trailer . There is a sliding door you operate from the inside .and once you close will not open until you open it . Pat
Old 05-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #53

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
This looks like the external vent cover that ETI is using now, and I like it a lot. Were you able to leave it in place and match up the SAM unit to it? And since you are using this vent, I assume it allows sufficient air flow for the higher capacity of the SAM fan - I was wondering about that since it doesn't open very far, but then the Heng fan doesn't move much air.
From earlier posts you will see that Chris R is using the JR Endura vent. You can bet that if he is satisfied with it then it works. The only disadvantage as Pat points out is you have the extra step of opening/closing the outside flap. I agree that it would provide for better water ingress protection though. I’ve never had a problem with the SAM-1 vent but I’m cautious not to spray direct into the vent when washing the trailer.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #54

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
From earlier posts you will see that Chris R is using the JR Endura vent. You can bet that if he is satisfied with it then it works. The only disadvantage as Pat points out is you have the extra step of opening/closing the outside flap. I agree that it would provide for better water ingress protection though. I’ve never had a problem with the SAM-1 vent but I’m cautious not to spray direct into the vent when washing the trailer.
For me the Endura works well, the one that came with the vent "looked" like it could let water in in a good rain storm. I don't bother to secure the flap on the vent, I use the inside closer.
To reduce unwanted insects coming in though the fan, I added aluminum metal bug screen to the end of the duct by melting the edge of the duct and pushing the screen into the soft plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 8.11.40 AM.jpg  
Old 05-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Pat's correct, I did use the outside vent that came with the SAM-1. No leaks either stationary or traveling. If I were to do it again today though, on one of the newer trailers, I'd probably just leave the stock outside vent in place.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Pat's correct, I did use the outside vent that came with the SAM-1. No leaks either stationary or traveling. If I were to do it again today though, on one of the newer trailers, I'd probably just leave the stock outside vent in place.
The choice might depend on whether the rattling of the stock vent cover in the wind bothers you. Of course that would not be a problem if you go outside & open & close the vent cover as needed, but I'm to lazy for that!
Old 05-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The choice might depend on whether the rattling of the stock vent cover in the wind bothers you. Of course that would not be a problem if you go outside & open & close the vent cover as needed, but I'm to lazy for that!
That's true Jon, the rattle would get on one's nerves. I was thinking more along the lines of breaking off the little flap entirely, since it would not be needed.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #58

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
OK, I am now in a position to start my first mod on our 2010 17B. Decided to install a SAM-1 and immediately ran into a problem. The old range hood came out easily, but it has numerous tack welds that I cannot break without destroying the hood. Tried cutting it out, but my tool is too weak, will borrow a real Dremel and try it again next week.
If that does not work I will probably ruin the old hood and have to get a replacement. It seems wasteful to pay $75-100 for a new (Ventline or other) hood just to gut it out. Any suggestions?
I have tried to locate RV salvage yards here in central TX, but the online searches are so jumbled they do not break the yards out by state. I would not mind a 'pick a part' trip if I can find one within a reasonable distance.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
OK, I am now in a position to start my first mod on our 2010 17B. Decided to install a SAM-1 and immediately ran into a problem. The old range hood came out easily, but it has numerous tack welds that I cannot break without destroying the hood. Tried cutting it out, but my tool is too weak, will borrow a real Dremel and try it again next week.
If that does not work I will probably ruin the old hood and have to get a replacement. It seems wasteful to pay $75-100 for a new (Ventline or other) hood just to gut it out. Any suggestions?
I have tried to locate RV salvage yards here in central TX, but the online searches are so jumbled they do not break the yards out by state. I would not mind a 'pick a part' trip if I can find one withing a reasonable distance.
😎In the middle of doing the same mod the fan housing comes off relatively easy, use a sharp drill bigger than spot weld and drill each weld. Wind up with a few holes in the hood but that's it. Then I had to drill 4 mounting holes and decided to use pop rivets to attach new fan housing.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #60

Here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails
20190623_140822.jpg   20190623_140900.jpg