FOP SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade Kit - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 6,190
FOP SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade Kit

I haven't installed it yet, but I thought I'd post some photos/first impressions of the SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade kit from Fabulous Operating Products.

The fan is well packaged with cardboard inserts and bubble wrap to keep all components undamaged. (Photo 1)

The components consist of the fan assembly, a metal cover for the new wiring, a new exhaust vent, a closed cell adhesive backed foam gasket, installation and operating instructions, and mounting hardware. (Photo 2)

The next photo is from the left side of the fan assembly. You can see the circuit breaker and the 3 position switch used to control the fan speed. There's also a 2 position switch on the other side (visible in photo 4), to change the LED light from low to high. (Photo 3)

Next is the bottom of the assembly, with the front to the left and the exhaust to the right. You can see the vent gate slide lever, the grease filter, and the enclosed LED light strip. (Photo 4)

The next photo shows the operation of the vent gate slider. No more outside flap to open and close. Simply slide the lever from inside to open or close the vent. The included outside vent is not required if you want to keep the stock one, but I like the look of it so I'm going to swap it out. (Photo 5)

Last is a shot of the bottom of the assembly with the grease filter removed. The filter is secured with tabs and a threaded stainless thumb screw. There's also a micro switch that pops up when the grease filter is not in place, preventing the fan from running. The fan is a ball bearing type squirrel cage fan - not a blade fan. It's heavy and it spins smoothly. It should move a ton of air compared to the weak stock fan, and be much quieter. (Photo 6)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2188.jpg (174.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2189.jpg (174.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2191.jpg (172.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2192.jpg (403.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2194.jpg (149.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2195.jpg (227.8 KB, 58 views)
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I haven't installed it yet, but I thought I'd post some photos/first impressions of the SAM-1 Range Hood Fan Upgrade kit from Fabulous Operating Products.

The fan is well packaged with cardboard inserts and bubble wrap to keep all components undamaged. (Photo 1)

The components consist of the fan assembly, a metal cover for the new wiring, a new exhaust vent, a closed cell adhesive backed foam gasket, installation and operating instructions, and mounting hardware. (Photo 2)

The next photo is from the left side of the fan assembly. You can see the circuit breaker and the 3 position switch used to control the fan speed. There's also a 2 position switch on the other side (visible in photo 4), to change the LED light from low to high. (Photo 3)

Next is the bottom of the assembly, with the front to the left and the exhaust to the right. You can see the vent gate slide lever, the grease filter, and the enclosed LED light strip. (Photo 4)

The next photo shows the operation of the vent gate slider. No more outside flap to open and close. Simply slide the lever from inside to open or close the vent. The included outside vent is not required if you want to keep the stock one, but I like the look of it so I'm going to swap it out. (Photo 5)

Last is a shot of the bottom of the assembly with the grease filter removed. The filter is secured with tabs and a threaded stainless thumb screw. There's also a micro switch that pops up when the grease filter is not in place, preventing the fan from running. The fan is a ball bearing type squirrel cage fan - not a blade fan. It's heavy and it spins smoothly. It should move a ton of air compared to the weak stock fan, and be much quieter. (Photo 6)
Looks very nice Robert . Now that you posted some pictures looks real familiar . That was what we had on motorhome . You operated the vent from inside and it had the squirrel cage not fan blade. Some more improvements though . Would you believe the motorhome was a 1980 . So they have gotten cheaper with these vents over the years . Please post more pictures when you get it installed . After I get a few things paid for , since we cook with our oven may go for this myself . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 6,190
Along with a couple minor mods, I installed the SAM-1 Conversion today. No wonder the tin box couldn't vent air. You should see what poor quality is was. Anyway, the SAM-1 moves alot of air at three different speeds, and is very quiet. The LED strip that's built in has low and high. High is very bright, and low is suitable for a night light. I'll post some photos and installation details tomorrow, but for now, I'm tired.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 6,190
Here's a photo of the old tin box I removed. Not even a "box", just three sides of flimsy sheet metal and a pitiful (but noisy) fan.


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 6,190
Some photos of the fan installed. First with the light on low, second with the light on high. Another of the new exterior vent. The exterior vent does have to be trimmed so the flange that protrudes inside is only 1/2" - just like Escape did with the original Ventline vent cover. That's because the walls are very thin and the vent covers are designed for 1 1/2" or so of wall thickness. The amount of air this moves is impressive. If you stand outside anywhere within 6 feet of the vent, even on low, you can feel the exhaust air blowing on you. Super quiet too.

The wiring was a bit tricky, but Larry at F.O.P. is great and he walked me through it in a minute or two. He supplies a wiring harness with a plug on one side and crimp connectors on the other, so all you have to do is make sure the light wire, the fan wire, and the ground wire are crimped on the right color wire on the harness.

The hard part is re-installing the hood and getting the screws to line up. All in all, very satisfied with this product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161002_135805.jpg (129.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20161002_135818.jpg (124.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20161002_135618.jpg (79.9 KB, 75 views)
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Some photos of the fan installed. First with the light on low, second with the light on high. Another of the new exterior vent. The exterior vent does have to be trimmed so the flange that protrudes inside is only 1/2" - just like Escape did with the original Ventline vent cover. That's because the walls are very thin and the vent covers are designed for 1 1/2" or so of wall thickness. The amount of air this moves is impressive. If you stand outside anywhere within 6 feet of the vent, even on low, you can feel the exhaust air blowing on you. Super quiet too.

The wiring was a bit tricky, but Larry at F.O.P. is great and he walked me through it in a minute or two. He supplies a wiring harness with a plug on one side and crimp connectors on the other, so all you have to do is make sure the light wire, the fan wire, and the ground wire are crimped on the right color wire on the harness.

The hard part is re-installing the hood and getting the screws to line up. All in all, very satisfied with this product.
Very nice Robert ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Here's a photo of the old tin box I removed. Not even a "box", just three sides of flimsy sheet metal and a pitiful (but noisy) fan.


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It looks like yours original hood was one of the ones that has the re-circulation type hood. It's a loosing battle. Half the air moved by the fan comes right back into the interior and the other half isn't enough to force the flap open.

It's not so much that the fan is pitiful, it's the design. Simply putting tape over the unneeded and unwanted opening (where the stick is protruding) made the difference between it being able to open the flap without it having to be pinned open.

Your mod is a definite improvement in some ways but for those who don't want to go to that length and expense a little tape will improve the situation.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20-04-2016 4-47-24 PM_0003_resize.JPG (152.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20-04-2016 4-54-11 PM_0004_resize.JPG (255.1 KB, 44 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It looks like yours original hood was one of the ones that has the re-circulation type hood. It's a loosing battle. Half the air moved by the fan comes right back into the interior and the other half isn't enough to force the flap open.

It's not so much that the fan is pitiful, it's the design. Simply putting tape over the unneeded and unwanted opening (where the stick is protruding) made the difference between it being able to open the flap without it having to be pinned open.

Your mod is a definite improvement in some ways but for those who don't want to go to that length and expense a little tape will improve the situation.

Ron
Hi Ron . I noticed looking at new RV's for whatever reason ,no charcoal filter . I removed mine and now the flap opens all the way . I also put fan up a little higher by attaching fan legs on top ,inside of bottom where they were originally attached . There was tape on vent hole . I am not worried having removed charcoal filer because there still is a screen . We don't cook greasy foods in trailer anyway . Robert's vent mod sure is nicer especially the light . But you do have to ask yourself can I spend my money on something else I need more ? But it is a quality improvement for some . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 1,804
Looks like the kit is a pretty good product, good install. If you cook inside all the time and the fan doesn't really work then might be worth $200 for the upgrade kit.
Our fan works pretty well, no charcoal filter was in it from ETI, and we hardly ever cook inside so not a mod that would make our list.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Your mod is a definite improvement in some ways but for those who don't want to go to that length and expense a little tape will improve the situation.

Ron
Ours was taped too Ron - some shiny silver tape over the hole. I just removed it before I took the photo.

Still, not enough air volume to open the flap. We also nixed the charcoal filter and the vent would open about half way.

It wasn't just the venting though, but the noise. This new fan moves about 10 times as much air as the old one when it's set on low (has 3 speeds). Even on high I'd say it's about 80% quieter than the stock fan.

This mod may not be for everyone, but it's a definite improvement.



Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.