Hard boiling eggs in your trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Hard boiling eggs in your trailer

I love hard boiled eggs. But I wasn't too keen on cooking them in the trailer due to all the steam that comes from boiling a pan of water. Granted, I can make 'em ahead of time for short trips, but what if I'm gone for quite a while.

Dirk read a review of this product while cruising the web and I liked what I saw, so I got a white one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used it to hard boil eggs several times. It does use steam, but far less than using a pan (I've never used a microwave for hard boiling eggs and I don't have one in the trailer anyway).

I tried an omelet. Yeah, not doing that again as it wasn't cooked all the way through. I tried two poached eggs the other morning and if you use the exact amount of water they suggest the yokes are runny, which is the way I like 'em. Use more water if you want the yokes not so runny.

This might not be for everyone, but thought I'd mention it for those taking their trailers out for long periods of time.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I love hard boiled eggs. But I wasn't too keen on cooking them in the trailer due to all the steam that comes from boiling a pan of water. Granted, I can make 'em ahead of time for short trips, but what if I'm gone for quite a while.

Dirk read a review of this product while cruising the web and I liked what I saw, so I got a white one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used it to hard boil eggs several times. It does use steam, but far less than using a pan (I've never used a microwave for hard boiling eggs and I don't have one in the trailer anyway).

I tried an omelet. Yeah, not doing that again as it wasn't cooked all the way through. I tried two poached eggs the other morning and if you use the exact amount of water they suggest the yokes are runny, which is the way I like 'em. Use more water if you want the yokes not so runny.

This might not be for everyone, but thought I'd mention it for those taking their trailers out for long periods of time.
Re boiled eggs
We now stop by deli's in most grocery stores and buy either Egglands Best or Kroeger pre-cooked eggs. They are packaged to stay fresh. No fuss, no muss.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
EggLands got some bad reviews here so we get ours from a local farmer. But there is a store here that sells them already cooked and peeled, for $2.49/dozen-When traveling I consume egg salad with tuna on potato rolls to maintain those long driving days.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Re boiled eggs
We now stop by deli's in most grocery stores and buy either Egglands Best or Kroeger pre-cooked eggs. They are packaged to stay fresh. No fuss, no muss.
I bought some Kroger hard boiled eggs on this trip & was not impressed with the taste. Since I carry a Coleman combined stove & grill, I prefer to make my own outside the trailer. Since I travel solo, I do appreciate the stores that still sell fresh eggs by the 1/2 dozen.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
I love hard boiled eggs. But I wasn't too keen on cooking them in the trailer due to all the steam that comes from boiling a pan of water. Granted, I can make 'em ahead of time for short trips, but what if I'm gone for quite a while...
Boiling water for coffee, tea, pasta, eggs, or anything else will generate moisture in your trailer. Best way to address that is to use your range hood fan and have your maxfan pulling air into the trailer, which will help to push the steamy air out of the hood vent, particularly if the trailer windows are mostly shut.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I bought hard boiled eggs that were pre-peeled one time. They were in some sort of liquid that reminded me of "Fruit Fresh" used in canning. Gross. I couldn't wash it off.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hard cooked egg

When I want a hard boiled egg or two for breakfast I make them over the campfire the night before. I take a green stick and whittle the last 3 or 4 inches to a sharp point. I then pick two small holes one in each end of the egg with my improved muskrat pattern pocket knife. Then I push the stick through. Suspended over the fire for about 10 minutes as the embers die down the egg is hard cooked. Slip it off the stick and repeat as necessary. Trained my Scouts for survival using duck, goose or other field found eggs. Chicken eggs were a luxury. No hunting. Next, Bacon and eggs over the fire in a paper bag. Utensiless cooking, wipe your knife on your pants and you're good to go.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I bought hard boiled eggs that were pre-peeled one time. They were in some sort of liquid that reminded me of "Fruit Fresh" used in canning. Gross. I couldn't wash it off.
Donna,
Perhaps they were picked eggs, common in midwest taverns.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We hard boil eggs regularly using our exterior 120v outlet and an Instant Pot - perfect, easy peel eggs every time in only 4 minutes! Of course we usually only do this when umbilicalled to power, but we occasionally break the Instant Pot out with the inverter. You can cook a whole chicken or beef shoulder in 30-40 minutes! Or you can slow cook like a Crock Pot. Or make yogurt! Or rice! It is a very interesting cooking implement. We bought it for the perfect hard boiled eggs, but use it for many other things now that we have it. Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ..._XHT6ybHCWDAJ9
Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Donna,
Perhaps they were picked eggs, common in midwest taverns.
No, they weren't. I actually like pickled eggs. I remember the gallon jars sitting on the bar in taverns. Ate a few in my time. Haven't seen those jars for a while now....
Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #11

Pickling, not for just cukes any more

Pickled eggs, pickled Okra, pickled pigs feet, pickled Redhorse, pass the salt.
Dave
Old 04-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Pickled eggs, pickled Okra, pickled pigs feet, pickled Redhorse, pass the salt.
Dave
Pickled OKRA Those of us that have followed FiberglassRV for years remember the old "Okra" thread Too bad the hacker killed it. That and the Fruit Cake thread were hilarious!
Old 04-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #13

Delicacies

We used to work with a federal meat inspector on the hog kill who would bring in the okra. We'd steam some pork temple meat in the live steam sterilizers add a little barbecue sauce and have a Parte'. From squeal to meal in 60 minutes was the battle cry.
Dave
Old 04-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I used to go to a bar in Cambridge Springs, PA ("The Springs") and there was always a jar of pickled eggs on the bar. I wouldn't touch 'em. Reminded me of preserved organs in Prof Effinger's bio lab. An eastern (Jersey?) bias.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
I love hard boiled eggs. But I wasn't too keen on cooking them in the trailer due to all the steam that comes from boiling a pan of water.........
The thread is 2½ hours old, and we went from steam because of hard-boiled eggs to pickled okra That's tough to figure!

Anyway, we boil all the time in our 17: coffee in the morning, eggs, all sorts of cooking....
We just open the kitchen awning window, turn on the hood fan, and sometimes turn on the maxx-fan on exhaust mode. We haven't had a problem with accumulated steam/moisture.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #16
Site Team

I think "steam" has a lot to do with ventilation and the time of the year! When it's hot outside, moisture is welcomed (good for the complexion). The dead of winter and it's 33 degrees (F) outside and cool inside... not so much.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I hate to admit I have one of those egg cookers. Not needed but very easy to cook hard/soft/poached eggs perfect every time. Nice when you only want a few would work in a trailer if you are plugged in I've never taken it with me.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #18

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I hate to admit I have one of those egg cookers. Not needed but very easy to cook hard/soft/poached eggs perfect every time. Nice when you only want a few would work in a trailer if you are plugged in I've never taken it with me.
Yep, that's why I like it - I can do a few at a time. Dirk isn't too fond of eggs.

Interesting the different ways folks will hard boil their eggs. The stick method sure is a new one on me! They didn't teach us that in Brownies all those years ago. I just learned how to melt a 45 record in the oven (forget how we got it into a bowl shape), glue weird stuff on, paint it white and proudly present it to our mothers that probably cringed with horror.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I can't believe we are talking about 'how to hard boil eggs'! What could be easier ? .... Put eggs in pan .... add enough water (cover). Cover pan ... Light burner and bring to boil .... as soon as water achieves boil ... shut off burner and leave eggs covered ... set timer for 12 minutes. When timer rings, dump out hot water and cool with cold water to stop cooking process. Peel and eat when cool enough. Hardly any steam and perfect fluffy yolks - no green edges. Happiness achieved.

I like to cook and really enjoy learning from others .... I'm always hungry as my moniker attests ... 'StarvingHyena'. Hint hint - I'd really enjoy a thread on camp cooking with maybe a focus on feeding lots of people (sharing = fun) and using a minimum of pots and ingredients. What are your crowd pleasers?

Spring is here,
Tom
Old 04-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
What are your crowd pleasers?

Spring is here,
Tom
Camping next to people with an Oven and that like to cook