Inflatable SUP - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Swim, no, John, but she's a really good floater.
ok, so mandatory life vests then
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #62

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I have an Aquaglide - of the type the video calls class 3. I am very happy with its performance.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #63

Trailer: 2012 E19
For my iSup (Vilano Navigator) I wound up getting one of those Sea Eagle inflatable seats. The guy in the videos says they’re for novices... well, call me a novice then, because I like my seat very much! I also have settled on a 54” Bending Branches Loon canoe paddle as my favorite with this rig. Canoeing feels familiar and comfortable to me; the yak paddle doesn’t seem to move me any faster or better than the canoe paddle (my sup tracks much better than the 9’ kayak I had previously), and the lack of sides combined with the higher seat makes the canoe paddle function well. I do take a stand-up paddle along, though, so I can stand and paddle for 5-10 minutes now and then in between sit-paddle sessions. The Sup is slower than a kayak without a doubt, but I am not paddling to any destinations per se so it doesn’t matter (except to my pride, perhaps?).

When I tire of this rig, the next thing for me will probably be something with a trolling motor.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #64

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
A question for the inflatables, type 3. If you inflate it, and don't deflate it, how long does it stay at full inflation? Do you have to pump it up for each use or does it hold pretty well?
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Recently we decided to keep them inflated (Star Paragon- a type 3) when planning multiple days at same place and put them on the roof with a strap across front only for short distance to camp. They were fully inflated next day.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
A question for the inflatables, type 3. If you inflate it, and don't deflate it, how long does it stay at full inflation? Do you have to pump it up for each use or does it hold pretty well?
My wife's holds up very well. A week or so at a time, never left it inflated for a month.

I think that it has a pressure relief valve and if stored in bright sun it might vent a bit of air. Although we've had it on the beach, in the sun, for days on end and it stayed rigid. Still amazes me how rigid they are and I don't think we've ever managed to inflate it to max. pressure.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #67

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I had one of those big inflatable double tubes. You know, the fancy ones with cup holders and back rests. Kept it stored in the garage. A couple summers ago I got it out and pumped the air into it. It stayed inflated for less than a few hours. Then it fell flat and limp, useless. I searched in vain for the air leaks. Did the soapy water thing but never found more than a couple. Finally threw the thing out. Best guess is tiny impossible to find mouse holes.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #68

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My wife's holds up very well. A week or so at a time, never left it inflated for a month.

I think that it has a pressure relief valve and if stored in bright sun it might vent a bit of air. Although we've had it on the beach, in the sun, for days on end and it stayed rigid. Still amazes me how rigid they are and I don't think we've ever managed to inflate it to max. pressure.

Ron
Do you think it is harder to get out of than a plastic recreational kayak?

My inflatable SUP is also very rigid even when a little low on air.
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Do you think it is harder to get out of than a plastic recreational kayak?

My inflatable SUP is also very rigid even when a little low on air.
I was referring to my wife's inflatable SUP. Not hard for most people to get off, in fact most just fall off.

Yes, I keep being surprised by how rigid her SUP is and that you can stand in one spot without your feet sinking in.

Since I've helped a lot of disabled folks go kayaking these are my observations.

The open, sit-on kayak is by far the best option for those with any kind of mobility considerations.

Both inflatable and rigid kayaks actually have the same considerations. Both can have wide open large cockpits and that's the type that anyone with any hint of mobility issues should have. Higher level kayaks tend to have relatively small cockpit openings, better to fit a spray skirt. But unless you are reasonably agile might not be the best choice.

Ron
Old 11-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #70

Trailer: 2012 E19
Not all have relief valves (my sup doesn't), in which case they recommend letting a little air out if it's going to sit on the ground in the sun. Water keeps the craft cooler.

Ron, maybe I missed it... what brand/model kayak does your wife have?
Old 11-11-2020, 10:49 PM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
...Both inflatable and rigid kayaks actually have the same considerations. Both can have wide open large cockpits and that's the type that anyone with any hint of mobility issues should have. Higher level kayaks tend to have relatively small cockpit openings, better to fit a spray skirt.
Ron
Higher level? You mean for white water? A small cockpit for flat water seems unnecessary.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:49 PM   #72

Quote:
I was referring to my wife's inflatable SUP.
Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Ron, maybe I missed it... what brand/model kayak does your wife have?
Yup, you missed it, she has a SUP

Ron
Old 11-11-2020, 11:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Higher level? You mean for white water? A small cockpit for flat water seems unnecessary.
By higher level I mean kayaks more expensive and made from better materials like fiberglass or carbon fiber than lower cost "recreational kayaks".

Yes, a smaller cockpit isn't necessary for flat water and that's part of the reason that recreational kayaks tend to have larger cockpit openings.

Ron
Old 11-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #74

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
SeaEagle

For travel, we have a SeaEagle 473rl, and I have a sail kit for it conjured up from Balogh (mast and sail), Sailboats to Go (mast step / dagger boards), Advanced Elements (rudder), Crewsaver, (masthead float) and Spring Creek (amas). We don’t use the SeaEagle accessories, we already had our own paddles. it’s the closest thing to a hardshell kayak I’ve paddled. Supposedly the SeaEagle drop stitch to canoe is stable enough to stand in. None of this is cheap, but allows us to explore and enjoy some hobbies while on the road. But Escapes are not cheap either. Even an old Escape 13 is very expensive.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
For travel, we have a SeaEagle 473rl, and I have a sail kit for it conjured up from Balogh (mast and sail), Sailboats to Go (mast step / dagger boards), Advanced Elements (rudder), Crewsaver, (masthead float) and Spring Creek (amas).
Wow, that sounds like something I would have done. Except I found this sailing rig from Kayak Sailor and it's so well engineered that I knew that I'd never be able to come up with something that would sail as well as this one does. Wouldn't fit on my inflatable though.

All the normal sail controls, full batten main with reefing. Love it, and it definitely keeps you on your toes.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
PIC_0021_resize.JPG   28-10-2012 4-25-48 PM  0012_resize.JPG  
Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #76

Kayak sailing

Saw that. Didn’t want the sloop rig for this boat. Your rig probably goes to weather better than mine. Lots of kayak sailing options. The Sea Eagle Razorlites are not as stable as the big tube boats. The Balogh batwing goes to weather better than most non sloop rigs. I had a Tinker Star Traveller (no longer made) inflatable that was stable and would plane. It was a centerboard sloop, dinghy, life raft. It was my previous travel boat and dinghy when I had a bigger sailboat for bigger water. Since you are from BC you may know Boya Lake. Pretty place to kayak and sail. I’m sure I’ll go back - next time with an Escape.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #77

Yes, it's ability to go to weather really well was a nice surprise.

I remember seeing a British cruising couple with their Tinker. They loved it for the versatility and they considered their life raft.

Never been to Boya Lake because going to or from Alaska I've never done the Cassiar Hwy. But no worries, there's just so many great places to kayak in BC, both fresh and salt water.

Ron
Old 11-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #78

Cassiar

It’s really beautiful to. Boya is close to Watson Lake, so it’s just north off the AlCan.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #79

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Wow, as a non sailor I am totally buffaloed by you guys' nautical jargon. Ever read any of Patrick O'Brian's novels? I got hooked, read ten of them (Master and Commander, etc.,) and got totally taken out to sea with his jargon.