Joi Thermologi Light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Joi Thermologi Light

Has anyone here heard of these "Thermologi" lights? I came across them while perusing the Air Miles Rewards website and started looking into them.

Here's a description from the Lee Valley website:

"This innovative lantern emits a surprising amount of light, considering its power source. No power cord or batteries are required; it generates its own electricity by harnessing the heat energy of a single candle flame to run eight LEDs. It produces the equivalent light of about 18 tealight candles (70 lumens), more than enough to read by or illuminate a table top.

The lantern’s operation is based on a phenomenon known as the Seebeck effect, using thermocouple technology to generate an electrical current by exploiting the temperature difference between the inside of the lantern and the cooler outside air. As long as the candle inside the lamp housing is burning, the LEDs will continue to emit light."

They seem the perfect outdoor lighting option for boondocking- no electricity required and all the light we could want, produced by a single tea light candle. I figure if the LED lights are too bright, I can always cover up some of them with tape or even warm up the colour with photographic gels. The light can also be controlled by raising the lid for a wider spread or leaving it down for more localized look. As an added bonus for us, they are made in Canada.

IMO they are quite costly to buy retail but seeing as we could redeem Air Miles for one it seemed free. We should receive ours in the New Year.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
On a canoeing forum I am a member of, one person did a review, and said while it did work as described, the light was not real strong. Basically it worked fine for some task work right by it, but don't expect it to illuminate too far very well. For lighting something like a table, I imagine it would be fine.

Probably would be cool to have and use if you need the light (or like playing with things like that ).

Usually once it gets dark, we are sitting around a campfire. Lots of none LED light there, just put another log on the fire.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
i got one for a gift a few years ago and they put out quite a bit of light

Enough to read by

In Canada you can get them at Lee Valley Tools

Very cool but we find we dont use it much
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #4

Granted, a campfire is the place to sit around. We were looking at candle lanterns anyway for eating after dark, etc. but candles often don't put out enough light to eat by IMO. This may be just the ticket for us.

We have exterior LED lights all around the trailer so I'm not anticipating using it for a work light or any such use so it should be fine for our purposes.

I'll let you all know once we've had a chance to use it.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

The Joi light arrived the other day and we've tried it in the house a couple times. Those 8 LEDs really do put out a surprising amount of light. My wife is happy with the colour of the light but I would prefer it to be warmed up a bit. I will add some warming gels over the LEDs and maybe snap a photo or two to show the difference.