List of must haves??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
List of must haves???

We pick up our trailer in Chilliwack, camp a week or so in Canada and head for a month of camping including boondocking until we arrive back home in Texas. We are trying to plan everything we need to have a good trip, but wondering what we are missing to be able to tow our trailer without everything getting rocked out of our cabinets and refrig. Including what we need to park and level, .....things that help things stay in place and organize all the gear to help you stay sane. Emergency kit.... Maintenance tools? Guess we will take some hooks and towel rods of some sort, containers for the refrig.

What items would you not do without?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I see you have/had a 2015 Casita Freedom, so really... not much different except 4 feet of more space. All the things I needed for my 16' Scamp are the same things I use in Ten Forward.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I see you have/had a 2015 Casita Freedom, so really... not much different except 4 feet of more space. All the things I needed for my 16' Scamp are the same things I use in Ten Forward.
Yes, too bad my list of Must Haves went out in the folder with the manual when I sold it. Trying to remember everything. Got my duck tape!
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Someone else posted this check list

Someone else posted this handy check list.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Escape Trip Checklist.pdf (32.7 KB, 228 views)
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
As a seasoned camper, you sure have a lot of advantage over us first timers who picked up their trailers. On our second day out, there was a major shopping trip to Camping World. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Since I am getting my first trailer I have a shopping list of new stuff in addition to existing camping supplies. The shopping list is:

Water filter, water pressure gauge, 90 degree elbow for hose connection, white hose(RV safe), Reliant water jug, funnel for pouring water from jug into fresh tank. Dump cap with a hose adaptor on it.

15 to 30 Amp. pigtail or adaptor.

Anderson leveling system, jack, chocks, pads. Looking at the $199.00 bag of stuff and will probably buy it when I get around to buying the Anderson hitch.
Also thinking about the big round jack blocks for the front jack stands of the 5.0 TA. Step stool.

Torque wrench, socket set, Robertson head screw drivers and bits for the drill.
Misc. tools. (vice grips, water pump pliers, crescent wrench, needle nose pliers, wire stripper)

Wax, tape, 3M Command hooks, bluetooth speaker for iPhone.

Floor mats, carpet runner, broom, Tank Techs RX and SCD Bio Klean.

Much of this stuff I will buy at Walmart as I plan to use their parking lots for some of the overnight stops as I travel. I will also let them know I appreciate them allowing me to stay there and as a consequence will be buying food, ice and other supplies at Walmart as I travel.

Also a redneck air conditioner (water bucket full of ice and a 12v fan) in case I need it as I'm not getting the roof A/C option.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 17
I have these,

a new replacement toilet valve on hand after reading the forums. Also the little tools to clean out the 7 Pin plug contacts and 7 pin tester in the tail light trouble shoot thread. Refridge bars (walmart) to lock in your Food from pressing against the fridge Door. Some members, it popped open. Small floorjack to change a trailer flat. Jumper cables of course. Front Storage box Locks. I think OR or WA require an airtght sewer seal so one of these on hand if a park complains (link below). The other non air tight foam seal for good measure. Rhino wrench combo to undo a stubbon sewer Cap. Photos attached. You get to a Park and the electric requires a plug adapter to plug in so I grabed the different ones at walmart RV section in hopes one will come in handy. Some states require Road Hazard Triangles you put on the ground if you tow a trailer and flat or break down, so I Have 3 on hand. Rain gear to spend time outside doing all this, on your knees, in a downpour. Can you tell I have a Highway patrol tail-light, Red triangle, ticketing relative

Click on this blue link
Untitled 1
Attached Images

gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 "Sunny" , tow - Highlander XLE
We take a couple of extra throw pillows (I'm short and the dinette benches are kind of deep) and they come in handy to stuff into cabinets holding mugs, wine bottles, dishes or other breakables. I'd caution you not to overthink your packing and take too much stuff. You can pick things up as you go.
Cozy Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Our must haves? More free time, good health, low gas prices, and enough pocket change to buy a large Orange Cream Shake whenever we come across an Arby's restaurant. We'll just deal with everything else when it happens....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Our must haves? More free time, good health, low gas prices, and enough pocket change to buy a large Orange Cream Shake whenever we come across an Arby's restaurant. We'll just deal with everything else when it happens....
Is that like a Creamsicle?
Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Nancy, any luck with temporary tags yet?
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
We pick up our trailer in Chilliwack, camp a week or so in Canada and head for a month of camping including boondocking until we arrive back home in Texas. We are trying to plan everything we need to have a good trip, but wondering what we are missing to be able to tow our trailer without everything getting rocked out of our cabinets and refrig. Including what we need to park and level, .....things that help things stay in place and organize all the gear to help you stay sane. Emergency kit.... Maintenance tools? Guess we will take some hooks and towel rods of some sort, containers for the refrig.

What items would you not do without?
An electric drill with a 3/4 inch socket to move the levelling jacks up and down. A pair of heavy duty vinyl gloves to connect/disconnect the sewer hose. You will need a sewer hose elbow connector, you might also want to consider the "Rhino" sewer upgrade from that which ETI supplies, its more robust and includes the sewer elbow. I would also suggest some kind of plastic container to put the sewer elbow, Aqua Kem (or other black tank solution) and "sewer" gloves in to separate them from other trailer tools and supplies.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Is that like a Creamsicle?
They taste just like the old Creamsickles but in milkshake form. They aren't on the menu yet. They are a Summer menu item (and Arby's is still doing their winter chocolate-mint shake special for now), but be looking for them as the weather warms. Mmm good!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Tool box with only necessary tools, just in case.
( Total weight > 30 lbs. )
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gotta have it

I have very nice looking legs. Consequently I wear shorts every day. Last year from April 20 till October 20 or so. However I have tender, beat up knees and it makes me cry if I have to kneel on gravel at my campsite or at a dump station. Therefore, I gotta have one of those closed cell foam kneeling pads. Actually I usually have two cause for some reason my knees are too far apart to to fit on one. Anyway, I don't leave home without my pads and a heavy duty stick so I can stand back up. Paints a picture don't it?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I have very nice looking legs. Consequently I wear shorts every day. Last year from April 20 till October 20 or so. However I have tender, beat up knees and it makes me cry if I have to kneel on gravel at my campsite or at a dump station. Therefore, I gotta have one of those closed cell foam kneeling pads. Actually I usually have two cause for some reason my knees are too far apart to to fit on one. Anyway, I don't leave home without my pads and a heavy duty stick so I can stand back up. Paints a picture don't it?
Dave
Now that made me chuckle ! Yup carry nice cushy pads for the knees . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Dave
110% agree on that one, although wouldn't want to comment on your legs. I however try and wear shorts in all months if I can, so the knee "pads" are essential.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Dave
My God you are hilarious Dave! I really look forward to sharing a beer or 6 with you. That's why I was trying to poke you in the ribs about the Baked Alaska comment. No harm intended ... I like to have fun. I missed being able to meet you and your wife at last years Rally and not sure about this years event ... will be there in spirit at least ... needs to be a last minute decision this year.

Back to the thread ...

Tom
Old 04-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Who's the guy over there with big fluffy pillows tied to his knees? Yeah, the one scarfing the plate of baked Alaska. He's certainly not an A-lister!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Who's the guy over there with big fluffy pillows tied to his knees? Yeah, the one scarfing the plate of baked Alaska. He's certainly not an A-lister!
LOL ... good one Don! Lookin' forward to meeting you both too!!

Tom