Looking for a good bike rack under $200 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #41

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I'm sold, the 1Up it will be. $559 sounds like a lot of money for a bike rack (and it is), but if it's the only one I have to buy, it will be well worth it.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I'm sold, the 1Up it will be. $559 sounds like a lot of money for a bike rack (and it is), but if it's the only one I have to buy, it will be well worth it.
This will be one of those decisions that years down the road you will be so glad you made.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #43

Hard to believe that the interest in the 1UP started a few years ao with some guy coming on a bike rack thread with his first post ever and just said check them out. A bunch of folks cried scam, as it was a bit suspicious, but I did bother to Google the rack and was very impressed with what I saw and read. I then heard via PM from another member who had one and liked it, so I bought one. It is just one of those pieces of kit you are proud to own and use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: GregandTeresa... There is always someone, who can make something cheaper, and those who shop by price alone, are that persons lawful prey!!!
I never regret buying quality... after all I own an Escape Eh?. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Our 1Up is awesome. Quick install, quick load of bikes, no bike damage, no wobble to speak of. The geometry gets the bikes up high for steep driveway with no scrape. Works well with Formosa cover if you are so inclined. I only used the cover on the winter trip to Florida. It is quick to transfer to the back of our Silverado. Very pleased with it overall, 5 stars!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
We bought the 1UP about 3 years ago and love it as well (I learned of it a year prior to it being mentioned here from a mountain bike forum). We used it on the back of our Casita, and was MUCH better than the Thule we had before that banged the bikes together and wore off a lot of paint from that.

However...one word of caution. You need to check before you drive off that the arms that fit around the tires to hold the bike on the rack are tight against both tires. I must have overlooked that one trip. When we got to our NH campground 150 miles from home, I found out that my son's bike was gone. As in fell off at some point on the route.

My wife said it looked like the arms were not firm against the tires when we were getting ready to leave, but thought I wasn't done with it. If there is any play where the bike tires can move forward or backward, the bike can come loose and fall off. We have used it since without issue, as I somehow learned to check that.

1UP does sell locks that go through the spokes of the wheel and attaches to the arm, which would prevent that. I wonder how many people like me had that happen and let them know?

Other than that, and it being 100lbs for our 4 bike carrier (requires 2 people to put it on the trailer/truck) it really is great.

Well, except for that one of the arms sticks when folding it down when no bike is present, which it makes it hard to collapse (1 painful click at a time).

But other than that....we really like it!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #47

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Jim Bennett ripping down a single track :http://static4.comicvine.com/uploads...title_thor.jpg
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Jim Bennett ripping down a single track :http://static4.comicvine.com/uploads...title_thor.jpg
Must have been before he went through the hair removal treatments.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Dave, the old t-shirt said it was for solar panel purposes.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #50

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Look at it this way, it's only a little under 3 times what you wanted to spend on a bike rack and in time it will become part of your legacy.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #51

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Considering that we came into our hunt for a fiberglass RV looking for a used unit, with a budget of around $10,000, and ended up buying new for almost 3 times that, I guess spending 3 times more than I expected to on a bike rack should be expected. And minor in comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Look at it this way, it's only a little under 3 times what you wanted to spend on a bike rack and in time it will become part of your legacy.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #52

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
For what it's worth, we have a Swagman XTC from MEC. It cost just slightly over $200 CDN. It holds our 2 folding bikes securely on the back of our 5.0.

We've had no problems with wobbling -- it attaches securely to the hitch with a bolt and lock nut.

Each bike weighs about 25 pounds, and the rack is rated at 35 pounds per bike.

We've had no problem with paint rubbing off, but wouldn't particularly care even if it did.

We don't like the idea of paying more for a rack than we would for a bike. To each his own.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
We don't like the idea of paying more for a rack than we would for a bike. To each his own.
It comes down to where your comfort zone is with things. The Swagman I had was the next model up from what you bought, and my older bike I toted on it shows the scars, as does my wife's bike. Sure, looking pretty is not everything, but it also wrecked the cable casing on one bike.

Plus, the 1UP is WAY cheaper than my good MTB.

Another consideration to buying a quality rack, just as with our trailer or any other product, is that it will outlast the cheaper versions by many times.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Wish all products I paid a premium for measured up to what the 1UP rack has. Every time it is used reminds me.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Wish all products I paid a premium for measured up to what the 1UP rack has. Every time it is used reminds me.
This is very true, eh? I too have paid a premium for items that did not quite make the grade. While not usually a total loss, not quite what they were made out to be. The 1UP is one thing that still makes me smile with pride every time I use it. I think one of the key things with it, is that it is not over engineered, or over tricked out. Just simple and very well built. A few friends I ride with have now bought one, after using mine.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It comes down to where your comfort zone is with things. The Swagman I had was the next model up from what you bought, and my older bike I toted on it shows the scars, as does my wife's bike. Sure, looking pretty is not everything, but it also wrecked the cable casing on one bike.

Plus, the 1UP is WAY cheaper than my good MTB.

Another consideration to buying a quality rack, just as with our trailer or any other product, is that it will outlast the cheaper versions by many times.
I hear ya, some of our bikes are worth more than our low mileage Santa Fe. But riding bikes is what we do. We are one of the few houses in our survey without a ocean/river boat, four wheelers or snow machines.

I'm just trying to figure out how to take out our angry Schnauzer on longer rides, he has a touch of arthritis in his back right hip. He used to be good for a long day of single track riding 15, 25 miles but at six years he's starting to slow down a little. We don't want to hurt him. At twenty six pounds he is to big for any of the frame mounted carriers. It looks like a Burley tail wagon is in out future. Scott

Fat bikes are great camp bikes.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #57

It is tough with dogs. I only take Jasper on short rides, 10 km or so. He does great climbing way faster than me, and can blast downhill fast too, but on the flats is where he starts to fall back. He did just turn 8, but is still in good shape from getting a good hour a day walks (runs) in.

I much prefer non-motorized sports, like biking and canoeing, though I did just buy a small electric trolling motor for my new Sea Eagle Travel Canoe for days when out fishing alone.

My brother has a Specialized fat bike, and is on my case to buy one too. Right now, I have enough toys I don't get enough use out of, or I would get one.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is tough with dogs. I only take Jasper on short rides, 10 km or so. He does great climbing way faster than me, and can blast downhill fast too, but on the flats is where he starts to fall back. He did just turn 8, but is still in good shape from getting a good hour a day walks (runs) in.

I much prefer non-motorized sports, like biking and canoeing, though I did just buy a small electric trolling motor for my new Sea Eagle Travel Canoe for days when out fishing alone.

My brother has a Specialized fat bike, and is on my case to buy one too. Right now, I have enough toys I don't get enough use out of, or I would get one.
You have a wise brother.

I almost did not put a new drive train on my Turner Sultan. We are on generation three of the fat bike saga, starting with the old school Surly Pugsley, then Salsa Mukluks and now riding carbon fiber 907 Whiteouts.

In the Yukon and here in south central Alaska you see a lot of people hauling fat bikes. You can ride them on the beach, single track and tool around on bike paths and campgrounds. I still use my full suspension and gravel bike but if I could only have one bike it would be a fat bike.

Yeah it's a drag with Fritz the Schnauzer, he goes with us everywhere. During the winter he can still go high mileage since the pace is slower and and he can't overheat when it's below freezing. During the summer we take him running in the morning and leave him home during the long rides. When we were in Vancouver last March I picked up the "Doggy Ride" but he is big for a miniature schnauzer and didn't fit. My plan now is to run him for a while the let him ride in the tail wagon, and repeat as needed. So if you see a couple hauling a beady eyed angry white schnauzer in a Burly tail wagon it's probably "Old Skool". Cheers, Scott

Fat bikes are like a Swiss Army knife.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:14 AM   #59

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Fat bikes are like a Swiss Army knife.
Hmm... a Swiss Army knife does a lot by being complicated. I haven't ridden one, but it seems like a fat bikes are more like Duck* tape: one simple thing, good for lots of uses, at least according to enthusiasts.

* - yeah, not "duct" tape; Duck repair tape or similar.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:37 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Hmm... a Swiss Army knife does a lot by being complicated. I haven't ridden one, but it seems like a fat bikes are more like Duck* tape: one simple thing, good for lots of uses, at least according to enthusiasts.

* - yeah, not "duct" tape; Duck repair tape or similar.
That's actually better than my Swiss Army knife analogy. Well done Brian, I hope you don't mind if I borrow it. Off to bed, have to get up early so I can dip net some yummy Copper River Chinooks and Sockeyes. Scott

Fat bikes are like a roll of "Duck Tape", they can do a lot of different things