Looking for a good bike rack under $200 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2016, 03:28 AM   #61

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have a swagman it's ok my bike seems stable in it under 200 I wrap my bike with sheepskin in the area it rubs - my bike isn't fancy so I'm not as concerned about it. And I only carry one bike. I can understand why some buy the I up its very nice I just didn't want to send the $ at the time.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:40 AM   #62

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I had to Google fat bikes they look cool I haven't seen any in this area maybe because we get so little snow
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Fat bikes are like a roll of "Duck Tape", they can do a lot of different things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I had to Google fat bikes they look cool I haven't seen any in this area maybe because we get so little snow
We have winter here for over half the year, and although we don't get a high volume of snow (too dry) there is snow on the ground most of that time... and fat bikes are still a rare sight. A few people ride all winter in the city, but not many of them use fat bikes yet.

On the other hand, you can now get a cheap fat bike at Walmart, so perhaps they have hit the mainstream.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Fat bikes are popular here in Oregon for riding on beach sand. Wonder if I'll see any at the Oregon Gathering?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #65

Trailer: 19 2014 escape
Brought a CCM bike rack for two bikes 150 dollars Canadian at Canadian tire has solid metal good welds I give 5 stars
Warren Nordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not sure how many remember, but a few years back when bike racks were being discussed, someone who was a brand new member, who had never posted before, and has not posted since, mentioned the 1UP rack here. Until then, it had never come up in bike rack discussions, nor had I even heard of it.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...html#post47055

I kinda thought this strange, but looked into it and liked what I saw. Nobody knew anything about them then, 2 years ago. But right after mentioning it I got a PM from a member here (sorry, forget who) who used the 4 rack version and had a double cartop one as well, and gave them great kudos.

So I bought one, and sure had a lot of folks checking it out at the rally that year. Thi is one of those purchases I have absolutely zero regrets making.

I think that now there is quite a few who owe this 'flew' fellow some thanks for his one and only post on the forum.
Jim, sorry to ask a "stupid question," but gotta be sure. You're using the 1UP bike rack in the hitch on the back of your Escape, not on your vehicle, right? I bought a brand new Allen rack recently and upon receiving the product, saw a warning sign on the box that said, "NEVER use this rack on any trailer!" (No mention of this warning in the advertising for the rack.)
GlennT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Jim, sorry to ask a "stupid question," but gotta be sure. You're using the 1UP bike rack in the hitch on the back of your Escape, not on your vehicle, right? I bought a brand new Allen rack recently and upon receiving the product, saw a warning sign on the box that said, "NEVER use this rack on any trailer!" (No mention of this warning in the advertising for the rack.)
Glenn, I use it on the trailer most of the time when towing it, and on the vehicle when just out for a day ride. 1UP says it may be used on a trailer, but only the heavy duty 2 person rack.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
I have used my 1UP (for 2 bikes) on both my vehicle and the back of my Escape. I can monitor the bikes when on the back of the trailer because the wide angle lens of my rear view camera includes a part of them in the image seen on the monitor. I do wish the 1UP attached to the receiver differently than it does, and I came up with an additional assembly for security. It is nevertheless the best and easiest to load bike rack of the ten or so I have owned since my early 20s. I highly recommend it, even though it comes at a hefty price. Had it been available and affordable to me when I was 20, I would be saying it is the only bike rack I have ever owned.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have used my 1UP (for 2 bikes) on both my vehicle and the back of my Escape. I can monitor the bikes when on the back of the trailer because the wide angle lens of my rear view camera includes a part of them in the image seen on the monitor. I do wish the 1UP attached to the receiver differently than it does, and I came up with an additional assembly for security. It is nevertheless the best and easiest to load bike rack of the ten or so I have owned since my early 20s. I highly recommend it, even though it comes at a hefty price. Had it been available and affordable to me when I was 20, I would be saying it is the only bike rack I have ever owned.
Carl:

What is your "additional assembly for security"? My 1UP has always seemed very secure on the back of my truck. I don't have the trailer yet, but it's coming soon.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Carl:

What is your "additional assembly for security"? My 1UP has always seemed very secure on the back of my truck. I don't have the trailer yet, but it's coming soon.
I was wondering that too, as I have used mine hordes over the last few years, and have never had an issue with it not being very well secured. I find their system home real right and alleviates any rattle.

If yours doesn't hold tight Carl, I would give 1UP a shout.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #71

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was wondering that too, as I have used mine hordes over the last few years, and have never had an issue with it not being very well secured. I find their system home real right and alleviates any rattle.

If yours doesn't hold tight Carl, I would give 1UP a shout.
I have had no issues other than I didn't care for the safety straps 1UP provides in case the "locking ball" loosens. Perhaps it is a touch of OCD. I don't want to take any chances with it coming loose or sliding out of the receiver.......ever.
The stem of the 1UP, as you know, has 4 longitudinal channels. The largest is occupied by the locking mechanism. I cut a piece of threaded rod and JB Weld(ed) an acorn nut on one end. Once the 1UP is installed and locked in, I slide the threaded rod through one of the other channels and through a small square aluminum plate with a hole drilled in it the diameter of the threaded rod. The rod protrudes about 1-1/2inches past the opposite end of the receiver. I then snug the plate up against the other end of the receiver with a nylock nut. I feel more secure with that as a "back-up" rather than depending on flimsy Velcro straps. Maybe overkill, but it gives me peace of mind because in my experience, under vibration, threaded fasteners can loosen, but a nylock nut surely will not. Hope this explains my earlier post.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have had no issues other than I didn't care for the safety straps 1UP provides in case the "locking ball" loosens. Perhaps it is a touch of OCD. I don't want to take any chances with it coming loose or sliding out of the receiver.......ever.
The stem of the 1UP, as you know, has 4 longitudinal channels. The largest is occupied by the locking mechanism. I cut a piece of threaded rod and JB Weld(ed) an acorn nut on one end. Once the 1UP is installed and locked in, I slide the threaded rod through one of the other channels and through a small square aluminum plate with a hole drilled in it the diameter of the threaded rod. The rod protrudes about 1-1/2inches past the opposite end of the receiver. I then snug the plate up against the other end of the receiver with a nylock nut. I feel more secure with that as a "back-up" rather than depending on flimsy Velcro straps. Maybe overkill, but it gives me peace of mind because in my experience, under vibration, threaded fasteners can loosen, but a nylock nut surely will not. Hope this explains my earlier post.
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that strap. I think they just include it for those that worry about the connection coming loose. I did use it the first time, then tossed it, as if the rack really was going to come loose, that wee piece of velcro fastened webbing is not going to do a lot. Though, there is likely very little force forward and backwards with the rack.

The first few times I too was a bit sceptical, but after double checking it these few times and finding it nice an tight yet, I quit checking, other than maybe a day or two into a trip.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #73

Trailer: 17B Picked up 4/19/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I know that there have been several threads on here about bike racks, and lots of folks are willing to spend mega-bucks on a bike rack (such as the 1-UP, etc).

But for cheap folks like myself, are the any good racks for $200 or (preferably) less that you would consider using on the back of your trailer?

We will be carrying 2 bikes. Mine is a Schwinn single speed cruiser type bike, and Teresa's is an Electra Townie 21 speed. So not cheap bikes, but not super expensive either.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
We bought a Swagman XC Cross Country 2 Bike last year. It works fine, seems solid enough. Only carry one bike but see no reason it would not carry two just as well. It had good reviews and cost less than $150usd on Amazon.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #74

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I have the Swagman XC Hitch mount rack. I don't know if this is the same swagman others have written (and complained) about. Mine is solidly made and it has not budged in over 1000 miles of travel (I just got my E21 10 days ago). The cost from camping world web site for this carrier is under $150. I only have one bike on it so perhaps that's why I have had no issues AND there is a shortcoming. Although it can carry two bicycles, the carrier does not sufficiently clear the spare tire on my E21 to allow a bicycle to fit on the inside tray. I wish Escape had aligned the hitch receiver several inches outside the rear bumper to give a bicycle carrier better clearance of the tire. But the tire takes up about 6inches of the carrier mount. When my wife brings her bicycle I suppose I will have to remove the spare and carry it in my tow vehicle. I don't envision any problem with this carrier holding 2 bikes.

Note I also have the rear view camera option so I can keep an eye on my bike as I tool on down the road. I've seen no jiggling at all.
johnp271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #75

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I have the Swagman Dispatch. It is rock solid and both bikes clear the spare on our 21. It is heavy at 53 lbs., but no complaints.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #76

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
I have the Swagman Dispatch. It is rock solid and both bikes clear the spare on our 21. It is heavy at 53 lbs., but no complaints.
We have one too. Have not mounted it on the trailer yet but on the back of the truck it does a good job. Its rated for 45 Lbs for each bike.
We looked at the 1up and decided that the fender option they offered was not for us.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #77

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Best way to stretch your budget is to find a good rack USED. There are always bike racks out there for sale, as people get into and out of riding. I would much rather spend $200 and get a $400 rack used, than to spend $200 on a new inferior rack. My local bike co-op has two name brand hitch racks right now $50 each....

I never, ever get a bike rack that holds the bicycle by the top tube. Such "dangler" racks can lead to a lot of damage to the bike's frame/paint, and if not adequately secured, bikes can end up hanging horizontal in the rack when you are up to speed.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #78

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Got two bikes and 1UP is sounding good. Waiting for our 17B in August. But, there's a 2" receiver on our tug and a 1 1/4" on the trailer, right? Can the 1UP fit into either? It looked like, on their site, the two bike rack just fits a 2" receiver? Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
No complaints on my Swagman Traveler XC RV-2. Breaks down very easily to be collapsed and stored in the back of my SUV. It is made for a 2" hitch and makes no rattles. I would buy it again. Paid $140.00 and it comes with a bumper attachment (not needed) that I tried to sell on Craigslist for $45.00-no luck. Fits both bikes well on my 21 with no adjustment of the spare.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #80

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Got two bikes and 1UP is sounding good. Waiting for our 17B in August. But, there's a 2" receiver on our tug and a 1 1/4" on the trailer, right? Can the 1UP fit into either? It looked like, on their site, the two bike rack just fits a 2" receiver? Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure about on the 17, but the receiver on the back of our 19 is the 2", so our 1Up fits both
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote