Looking for a good bike rack under $200 - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,253
I have a swagman it's ok my bike seems stable in it under 200 I wrap my bike with sheepskin in the area it rubs - my bike isn't fancy so I'm not as concerned about it. And I only carry one bike. I can understand why some buy the I up its very nice I just didn't want to send the $ at the time.
__________________

Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,253
I had to Google fat bikes they look cool I haven't seen any in this area maybe because we get so little snow
__________________

Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Fat bikes are like a roll of "Duck Tape", they can do a lot of different things


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I had to Google fat bikes they look cool I haven't seen any in this area maybe because we get so little snow
We have winter here for over half the year, and although we don't get a high volume of snow (too dry) there is snow on the ground most of that time... and fat bikes are still a rare sight. A few people ride all winter in the city, but not many of them use fat bikes yet.

On the other hand, you can now get a cheap fat bike at Walmart, so perhaps they have hit the mainstream.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #64
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,830
Fat bikes are popular here in Oregon for riding on beach sand. Wonder if I'll see any at the Oregon Gathering?
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #65
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sherwood park, Alberta
Trailer: 19 2014 escape
Posts: 6
Brought a CCM bike rack for two bikes 150 dollars Canadian at Canadian tire has solid metal good welds I give 5 stars
Warren Nordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:12 AM   #66
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Grindstone, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2008 Aliner Classic Off-Road / 2017 Escape 17A ordered
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not sure how many remember, but a few years back when bike racks were being discussed, someone who was a brand new member, who had never posted before, and has not posted since, mentioned the 1UP rack here. Until then, it had never come up in bike rack discussions, nor had I even heard of it.

Bike Rack

I kinda thought this strange, but looked into it and liked what I saw. Nobody knew anything about them then, 2 years ago. But right after mentioning it I got a PM from a member here (sorry, forget who) who used the 4 rack version and had a double cartop one as well, and gave them great kudos.

So I bought one, and sure had a lot of folks checking it out at the rally that year. Thi is one of those purchases I have absolutely zero regrets making.

I think that now there is quite a few who owe this 'flew' fellow some thanks for his one and only post on the forum.
Jim, sorry to ask a "stupid question," but gotta be sure. You're using the 1UP bike rack in the hitch on the back of your Escape, not on your vehicle, right? I bought a brand new Allen rack recently and upon receiving the product, saw a warning sign on the box that said, "NEVER use this rack on any trailer!" (No mention of this warning in the advertising for the rack.)
GlennT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Jim, sorry to ask a "stupid question," but gotta be sure. You're using the 1UP bike rack in the hitch on the back of your Escape, not on your vehicle, right? I bought a brand new Allen rack recently and upon receiving the product, saw a warning sign on the box that said, "NEVER use this rack on any trailer!" (No mention of this warning in the advertising for the rack.)
Glenn, I use it on the trailer most of the time when towing it, and on the vehicle when just out for a day ride. 1UP says it may be used on a trailer, but only the heavy duty 2 person rack.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Jim, sorry to ask a "stupid question," but gotta be sure. You're using the 1UP bike rack in the hitch on the back of your Escape, not on your vehicle, right? I bought a brand new Allen rack recently and upon receiving the product, saw a warning sign on the box that said, "NEVER use this rack on any trailer!" (No mention of this warning in the advertising for the rack.)
I have used my 1UP (for 2 bikes) on both my vehicle and the back of my Escape. I can monitor the bikes when on the back of the trailer because the wide angle lens of my rear view camera includes a part of them in the image seen on the monitor. I do wish the 1UP attached to the receiver differently than it does, and I came up with an additional assembly for security. It is nevertheless the best and easiest to load bike rack of the ten or so I have owned since my early 20s. I highly recommend it, even though it comes at a hefty price. Had it been available and affordable to me when I was 20, I would be saying it is the only bike rack I have ever owned.
__________________
Carl
2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: College Station, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop", sold Coleman pop up
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have used my 1UP (for 2 bikes) on both my vehicle and the back of my Escape. I can monitor the bikes when on the back of the trailer because the wide angle lens of my rear view camera includes a part of them in the image seen on the monitor. I do wish the 1UP attached to the receiver differently than it does, and I came up with an additional assembly for security. It is nevertheless the best and easiest to load bike rack of the ten or so I have owned since my early 20s. I highly recommend it, even though it comes at a hefty price. Had it been available and affordable to me when I was 20, I would be saying it is the only bike rack I have ever owned.
Carl:

What is your "additional assembly for security"? My 1UP has always seemed very secure on the back of my truck. I don't have the trailer yet, but it's coming soon.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Carl:

What is your "additional assembly for security"? My 1UP has always seemed very secure on the back of my truck. I don't have the trailer yet, but it's coming soon.
I was wondering that too, as I have used mine hordes over the last few years, and have never had an issue with it not being very well secured. I find their system home real right and alleviates any rattle.

If yours doesn't hold tight Carl, I would give 1UP a shout.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.