Nanospresso - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Gay View Post
My son gave me one of their earlier models a couple years ago - minipresso gr. I usually want more than a shot of expresso so haven't used it a lot but I like that it can use any coffee and it results in the best flavor of all the methods I use - drip, pour-over, french press, and another expresso machine. The pump is easy to press but requires about seven or eight presses - they say the newer model is 15% easier and builds twice as much pressure. I take it in our trailer for when we are without hookups and have it wherever we meet our son who always prefers expresso - nice product.
Good info. Thanks.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I bought and tried a Nanopresso when they first came out. My complaint was, by the time you filled it and pumped it up, the water was getting cold, so at best I got a lukewarm cup of espresso. and it wasn't that good of an espresso, either... I'll admit I'm spoiled as we have some awesome espresso makers here in town, plus I have an Olympia Express home countertop machine.
Thanks John,

Old 02-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Nespresso

We have an Essensa Mini by Nespresso. Works well in our E19. Bought amole supply of pods for two nonth journey. Also have Via Instant from Starbucks. Great in a pinch.
sequimteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Guess I'm kind of behind in reading what's on the forum, but there is always a coffee thread.........we have coffee too but we aren't nearly as fancy as you guys .....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3681.jpg  
Old 02-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #25

Trailer: None
I can't imagine using Nespresso or K-cups; they are a very expensive and bulky way of buying coffee. And then there is the bulk added to the garbage. I have tried quite a few different ways of making coffee in the past, and my preference now is for a moka espresso maker (not the same as a true espresso machine). The biggest brand is Bialetti, which most will have seen as an aluminum device with octagonal sides; I don't like aluminum for this purpose.
Click image for larger version

Name:	bialetti.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	37294
Bialetti also makes affordable stainless steel versions,

Name:	bialettiss.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	37295
although my favorite is the Alessi - a great design at a steep price.

Name:	alessi.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	37296

BTW when you water down a shot of espresso you are making an Americano.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
Has anyone tried this coffee maker? I have heard good things about it and about to buy but would like any opinions if possible.
https://www.amazon.ca/Wacaco-Nanopre...M65FRGBWEW1P73
Aerobie 83R01 AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker, Gray https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0047BIWSK/..._D2aECbSAGGSCG

This is what I like to use. Way cheaper and like to avoid all those plastic piss in the landfill. Or we just use the for cup French press. Options!
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I can't imagine using Nespresso or K-cups; they are a very expensive and bulky way of buying coffee. And then there is the bulk added to the garbage. I have tried quite a few different ways of making coffee in the past, and my preference now is for a moka espresso maker (not the same as a true espresso machine). The biggest brand is Bialetti, which most will have seen as an aluminum device with octagonal sides; I don't like aluminum for this purpose.
Attachment 37294
Bialetti also makes affordable stainless steel versions,
Attachment 37295
although my favorite is the Alessi - a great design at a steep price.
Attachment 37296

BTW when you water down a shot of espresso you are making an Americano.
Bought the stainless version vs. original aluminum and prefer the taste to a drip Cuisinart 4 cup electric. Coffee stays warm in that pot and now no AM drain on batteries. Susan prefers it now to our fancy Jura Ena at home. A little more work cleaning the basket, however not as much as a French press and no filters to run out of.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #28

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Aerobie 83R01 AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker, Gray https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0047BIWSK/..._D2aECbSAGGSCG

This is what I like to use. Way cheaper and like to avoid all those plastic piss in the landfill. Or we just use the for cup French press. Options!
I sent mine back. I just underwhelmed by the build and all the parts.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #29

Trailer: None
For all of this equipment I recommend reading Stumptown Coffee's Brew Guides (https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides). The technique for moka espresso is an improvement over what I had been taught - by pre-heating the water the grounds are protected from burning and bitterness. They have guides for other methods as well so take a look.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequimteeth View Post
We have an Essensa Mini by Nespresso. Works well in our E19. Bought amole supply of pods for two nonth journey. Also have Via Instant from Starbucks. Great in a pinch.
Good to hear the nespresso works for you. We actually like the taste of Starbucks Via and what could be more simpler to use and store in the trailer. It should compliment the aero press quite well. Thanks Sequim.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #31

Trailer: TBD
No Chemex lovers here?
Old 03-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I tried a co-worker's Nanopresso and it seemed to work reasonably well, but I'm not super picky about coffee so people who are serious espresso aficionados may be less impressed.

I also tried a moka pot but never managed to make a decent cup of coffee with it. It seemed to be really finicky in terms of water temperature, grinds, timing, etc. Might have been exacerbated by me getting the smallest one.

Finally settled on the Aeropress. Easier to fully disassemble and clean than the Nanopresso, and far more forgiving than the moka pot. Compact, lightweight, durable, and doesn't require electricity. It does require a separate kettle or pot to heat water in, though, unlike the moka.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
I tried a co-worker's Nanopresso and it seemed to work reasonably well, but I'm not super picky about coffee so people who are serious espresso aficionados may be less impressed.
Honestly, there doesn't seem to be anything that makes people more cranky than 'bad' coffee.... whatever that means. I just know, I want mine to taste the same tomorrow as it tasted today. I've had 'excellent' coffee made from expensive roasted beans that to me tasted like sludge. Gotta love those taste buds
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Yep, it's definitely subjective. To me at least, the Aeropress seems to make acceptable coffee within a range of strengths and flavors almost no matter what I do short of entirely forgetting a step. The nanopresso I only tried once, but I imagine is reasonably consistent. The moka pot was just all over the map. Sometimes burnt, sometimes watery, sometimes extremely sour and metallic. No middle ground.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:18 AM   #35

Trailer: Minor life setbacks, but still trying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
No Chemex lovers here?
LOVE MY CHEMEX!!! Takes what, 3 min to nuke the water, or just keep a kettle on the fire, another 30 sec to pour thru the grounds. No assembly required, makes up to 4 cups, grounds are contained in the filter, very difficult to tip over, easy to clean. If you can't wait for the coffee to drip, just pour that first shot in your cup...just like espresso. Just make what you need, or put in a thermos.
I almost wrote this in all caps but Susi took my cup away and made me sit in the garage for awhile......cleaned my toolbox.
Jeff
Susi & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
No Chemex lovers here?

I have Melita thermos and matching fitted filter holder. See post #11.
I'm a bit disturbed about the thought of pouring boiling water over the grounds. Everything I have read says to bring the water to the boil and allow it to cool slightly. Then wet the grounds so they bloom and then continue the pour over.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have Melita thermos and matching fitted filter holder. See post #11.
I'm a bit disturbed about the thought of pouring boiling water over the grounds. Everything I have read says to bring the water to the boil and allow it to cool slightly. Then wet the grounds so they bloom and then continue the pour over.
Exactly how I use my Chemex.
Jeff
Old 03-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #38

Step 4: Let it bloom
Once you have brought the appropriate amount of water to a boil, remove it from the heat and allow it to stop boiling vigorously.
Pour a small amount of water over the coffee grounds to wet them, and wait for about 30 seconds for them to “bloom”, releasing the most desirable coffee elements from the grounds.

Optional Tip: Perfect brewing temperature is about 200°F.

Step 5: First pour
After the grounds bloom, slowly pour the brewing water over the grounds while keeping the water level well below the top of the CHEMEX® (quarter inch or more).

From the Chemex website,
https://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/br...e-instructions

Jeff
Old 03-17-2019, 01:34 AM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susi & Jeff View Post
LOVE MY CHEMEX!!! Takes what, 3 min to nuke the water, or just keep a kettle on the fire, another 30 sec to pour thru the grounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
... Everything I have read says to bring the water to the boil and allow it to cool slightly. Then wet the grounds so they bloom and then continue the pour over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susi & Jeff View Post
Exactly how I use my Chemex.
Then you're taking a lot more than 30 seconds from boiling water to coffee: Chemex Coffee Brewing – History and Tutorial
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Then you're taking a lot more than 30 seconds from boiling water to coffee: Chemex Coffee Brewing – History and Tutorial
Not for that first shot.......