Nanospresso - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 19'
Nanospresso

Has anyone tried this coffee maker? I have heard good things about it and about to buy but would like any opinions if possible.
https://www.amazon.ca/Wacaco-Nanopre...M65FRGBWEW1P73

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nope. Have a Nespresso at home.

Looks too much like work to me. At least the same amount of work as a $29 Moka espresso maker ( which I carry in the trailer, but never get around to using ).
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 7.51.33 PM.jpg  
Old 02-19-2019, 12:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
Has anyone tried this coffee maker? I have heard good things about it and about to buy but would like any opinions if possible.
Interesting device … I'd like to hear from someone who has one …. I don't know what the dilution amount is to convert the espresso to coffee but the description says that the 'water' tank holds 80 ml of water .... that converts to 2.7 oz if you can get all the water out of the grounds …. not even a 1/2 cup. With the amount of half/half that I like in my coffee, its amount may be fine.

At home I like my French press but on the trailer, I really like my Aeropress. Favorite thing is that you 'eject' the grounds in a plug the size (sort of) of a hockey puck. I like that as I can keep the grounds out of my gray water tank.

Tom
Old 02-19-2019, 01:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

At home I like my French press but on the trailer, I really like my Aeropress. Favorite thing is that you 'eject' the grounds in a plug the size (sort of) of a hockey puck. I like that as I can keep the grounds out of my gray water tank.

Tom
I agree. Love my Aeropress in the camper. Good coffee and easy to use.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I agree with those who prefer the Aeropress. I’ve gone the route of various sizes of Melita, also French presses and a coffee filter similar to a Melita that held the coffee grounds until it was released to go through the filter. I’ve never had an electric coffee maker as they all basically heat water then pour it through a filter. The Aeropress is the only coffee maker I use now - at home, in the trailer or in my luggage when traveling by air. I would recommend the “S filter” and a good hand grinder. Great coffee, no disposable filters that filter out the coffee oils and easy to pack and clean.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #6

I use the Aeropress also but my wife has difficulty applying pressure. She uses a pour-over. That is why I was considering the Nanospress.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
I use the Aeropress also but my wife has difficulty applying pressure. She uses a pour-over. That is why I was considering the Nanospress.

From what I read on the site linked, you have to pump the Nanopress, like a bicycle pump to get the required pressure, which is why is suggested it sounds like work.
"[SUPER PUMPING SYSTEM] Built around a newly patented pumping system and no battery/electric need, the Nanopresso is powerful. With the help of your hands, a maximum of 18 bars (261 PSI) of stable pressure is created during extraction for unparalleled coffee".
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
From what I read on the site linked, you have to pump the Nanopress, like a bicycle pump to get the required pressure, which is why is suggested it sounds like work.
"[SUPER PUMPING SYSTEM] Built around a newly patented pumping system and no battery/electric need, the Nanopresso is powerful. With the help of your hands, a maximum of 18 bars (261 PSI) of stable pressure is created during extraction for unparalleled coffee".
Yes-looks like you can do it with one finger. Mountain Equipment Coop carries them and I am waiting for an opportunity to pay them a visit.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes-looks like you can do it with one finger. Mountain Equipment Coop carries them and I am waiting for an opportunity to pay them a visit.

I'm surprised MEC would sell them, given the issue of disposing of Nespresso pods ( which is what it appears to use ).
Have to ask, what's wrong with pour over? No electricity, easy to use, easy to clean and dispose of grounds, makes a full cup ( or two ) or thermos full ( we use a Melita filter holder and Melita thermos ).
Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm surprised MEC would sell them, given the issue of disposing of Nespresso pods ( which is what it appears to use ).
Have to ask, what's wrong with pour over? No electricity, easy to use, easy to clean and dispose of grounds, makes a full cup ( or two ) or thermos full ( we use a Melita filter holder and Melita thermos ).
It uses NS pods and loose ground coffee. You can get an "extension" to make a double dose so that would be good for 2 cups I would think. Besides Dian not liking to push the Aeropress down, I am concerned about tipping the AP over one morning when I am half asleep and getting scalded. The same with the pour over in a cramped trailer. Probably just minor concerns and I need some excuse to try something different I have watched a few videos and it appears one can pump it with your thumb. I would like to find out just how much pressure is required by the finger to get up to max pressure though. That would be one of the questions I would have if anyone on this forum has used one.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #11

This is what we use in the trailer. The filter holder fits the thermos and the thermos is stable. Takes #4 filter.
https://shop.melitta.ca/products/the...=7940276453428
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 6.03.12 PM.jpg  
Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
This is what we use in the trailer. The filter holder fits the thermos and the thermos is stable. Takes #4 filter.
https://shop.melitta.ca/products/the...=7940276453428
Looks more stable than the Aeropress and my stainless pour-over which just sits on top of a cup.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #13

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
I've used one since the mid 70's when I was in graduate school. Just to be clear you will be drinking espresso. A couple of 2 oz. shots may set you up for hours!
One of my school chums came from Cuba. He turned me on to this and Bustelo. It brews coffee by forcing pressurized water near boiling point through a "puck" of ground coffee and a filter. That is why there is a pressure release valve...
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I've used one since the mid 70's when I was in graduate school. Just to be clear you will be drinking espresso. A couple of 2 oz. shots may set you up for hours!
One of my school chums came from Cuba. He turned me on to this and Bustelo. It brews coffee by forcing pressurized water near boiling point through a "puck" of ground coffee and a filter. That is why there is a pressure release valve...
Your link directed to a bag of coffee. Yes, I realize it would be expresso but I would dilute it. This is what I do with aero press. 6 Table spoons of grounds and then dilute it to 3 mugs of coffee.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #15

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Your link directed to a bag of coffee. Yes, I realize it would be expresso but I would dilute it. This is what I do with aero press. 6 Table spoons of grounds and then dilute it to 3 mugs of coffee.
My intention was to link to a particular brand of espresso. Glad to hear that the link worked for you...
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
And the simplest espresso for my 17B travels? Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso. Don't judge me! It actually has a nice crema. Quick and easy and takes up little room and I ain't that picky when I'm on vacation.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
It uses NS pods and loose ground coffee. You can get an "extension" to make a double dose so that would be good for 2 cups I would think. Besides Dian not liking to push the Aeropress down, I am concerned about tipping the AP over one morning when I am half asleep and getting scalded. The same with the pour over in a cramped trailer. Probably just minor concerns and I need some excuse to try something different I have watched a few videos and it appears one can pump it with your thumb. I would like to find out just how much pressure is required by the finger to get up to max pressure though. That would be one of the questions I would have if anyone on this forum has used one.
My son gave me one of their earlier models a couple years ago - minipresso gr. I usually want more than a shot of expresso so haven't used it a lot but I like that it can use any coffee and it results in the best flavor of all the methods I use - drip, pour-over, french press, and another expresso machine. The pump is easy to press but requires about seven or eight presses - they say the newer model is 15% easier and builds twice as much pressure. I take it in our trailer for when we are without hookups and have it wherever we meet our son who always prefers expresso - nice product.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I bought and tried a Nanopresso when they first came out. My complaint was, by the time you filled it and pumped it up, the water was getting cold, so at best I got a lukewarm cup of espresso. and it wasn't that good of an espresso, either... I'll admit I'm spoiled as we have some awesome espresso makers here in town, plus I have an Olympia Express home countertop machine.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If you use it with Nespresso capsules you're packing the pods in, so you will have the space to pack them out (although they will be wet and therefore heavier on the way out). If the concern is environmentally responsible disposal (because MEC should care about that)... the intention is that you return the used capsules to the store where you buy the new ones, and then Nestlé tears them apart and recycles the aluminum (and presumably composts the coffee grounds), so there is no material of the capsule consumed or sent to landfill (although of course a lot of energy and water is involved).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #20

Recycling can be illogical at times.
The energy used to return 1/64 oz. of aluminum to the store and to disassemble the pods is not insignificant, but the value of the material is. I'm not allowed to put foam trays in my blue box. Have to drive those to the depot. We have a separate box for glass, because glass contaminates the materials that have some value. And then the glass is ground up to become expensive sand.

For all that, my "garbage" container is usually less than 1/3 full.