Need opinions - Husky Quest Brake Controller - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Need opinions - Husky Quest Brake Controller

I would like some feeedback/opinions on the Husky Quest Brake Controller. Its a proportional unit, but it uses an inertial accelerometer instead of the "pendulum", so it doesnt require leveling. Its also substantially less expensive than the Tekonsha P3 and similar proportionals -- at around $50.

Quest Proportional Brake Control | Husky Towing
Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If it'll get the fridge to cool efficiently, I'd go for it.

baglo
Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Prodigy (all generations) uses a two-axis accelerometer instead of a pendulum, too. I don't see anything in the description of the Quest which is a concern. It doesn't seem to have the Prodigy's "boost" feature, which may or not matter; on the other hand, it does claim to activate the brake lights when manually applied.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have nothing against the Quest because I don't know anything about it.
Given all you've got invested so far, is it really worth it to save a few bucks on a brake controller opposed to buying one that has a great rep and following?
The lack of responses to the question doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 19' - Oct 2o15
On the subject of brake controller -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I would like some feeedback/opinions on the Husky Quest Brake Controller. Its a proportional unit, but it uses an inertial accelerometer instead of the "pendulum", so it doesnt require leveling. Its also substantially less expensive than the Tekonsha P3 and similar proportionals -- at around $50.

Quest Proportional Brake Control | Husky Towing

Good Morning - On the subject of brake controllers - has anyone ever used the DirecLink ? ( Tuson RV Brakes - Trailer Brake Controllers, Sway Control, Brake Actuators, Hydraulic ABS )

I would be interested in which brake controller others are using. I have not talked with anyone that has the Quest.
I have seen a number of people using Voyager and the Tekonsha P3 seems to have a major portion of the market.

Thank You for your feedback.

uw
OWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome OWilly to our Escape world. I see you will be a new owner this year. As far as brake controllers, it may be best to post a new thread asking for advice as the OP of this thread has purchased a new tow vehicle with built in trailer brake controller. Seems most new vehicles today made for towing are including the brake controller. If you do a search under "brake controller" you will see these threads discussing various brake controller. If your question is still unanswered, then feel free to start your own thread. Good luck
Escape Trailer Owners Community - Search Results
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems most new vehicles today made for towing are including the brake controller.
The definition of "made for towing" is not clear, but the reality is that built-in brake controllers - as far as I know - can only be found in North American full-size pickup trucks and the SUVs sharing the same platform (e.g. GM Yukon... and even then they are not standard equipment. There are many other suitable tow vehicles, for which an integrated brake controller is not available.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I thought the Fords with Eco-boost such as the Expedition (and F-150) have an integrated brake controller that comes with the tow package. It seems to be that this is used in a swaying situation to activate at least the brakes on the TV and apparently also the trailer brakes (not sure about that) where the TV basically automatically takes over from the driver to stop the sway.

If the trailer brakes are also automatically activated in a sway situation, then I was supposing that the integrated brake monitor is doing that. Then I would also suppose that that would not happen if you had another controller. Anyone know about this, not guessing like I am?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #9

For some reason I'm thinking the anti-sway does not activate the brakes in a conventional manner in that the brake lights are not activated and neither are the trailer brakes, but instead one or more wheel brakes are activated to stop wheel spin which can lead to the vehicle swaying. One time I can around a curve and I lost traction, the dash lite up with symbols and the car came out of the spin straight. Could be something different, not sure.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
For some reason I'm thinking the anti-sway does not activate the brakes in a conventional manner in that the brake lights are not activated and neither are the trailer brakes, but instead one or more wheel brakes are activated to stop wheel spin which can lead to the vehicle swaying. One time I can around a curve and I lost traction, the dash lite up with symbols and the car came out of the spin straight. Could be something different, not sure.
Sounds like that is it but I am not sure, with Fords, if trailer brakes might also be activated if there is sway or if only those brakes on the vehicle are activated automatically. Also not clear to me if the brake monitor supplied by them is doing that or not but it has been talked about elsewhere giving me that impression. Perhaps the brake monitor has nothing to do with it and the trailer brakes are not ever activated in a sway siutation, however, I seem to recall reading about this sway correction with regard to the monitor capabilities.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #11

Hee you go, an explanation Ford Demonstrates Trailer Sway Control for 2011 Super Duty - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #12

Thank you! So that is indeed the controller so that no other controller can be substituted. At least that is what I get out of it. And that Ford has its own advanced version of this. I believe it is what would be on the Expedition as of 2015 but possibly earlier. I believe 2015 is the first year for the Expedition to have Eco-boost, same Eco-boost as on the F-150.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The Ford Integrated Brake Controller does work in conjunction with the antisway system (standard on my truck) and the anti-lock brake system. The brake controller is NOT standard, even with the towing package. It's a $275 option. By the way, the electronics of their controller are made by Tekonsha.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #14

Quote:
For some reason I'm thinking the anti-sway does not activate the brakes in a conventional manner in that the brake lights are not activated and neither are the trailer brakes, but instead one or more wheel brakes are activated to stop wheel spin which can lead to the vehicle swaying. One time I can around a curve and I lost traction, the dash lite up with symbols and the car came out of the spin straight.
Yes, this is how modern stability control works, except that brakes are not just applied to stop wheel spin, they are applied to apply rotational torque in the needed direction (for instance, apply right-side brake to keep vehicle from spinning to the left) and they can choose between front and rear wheel for best effect (e.g. use front brake if oversteering, rear brake if understeering).

In the descriptions that I have seen the "trailer sway control" is just an adjustment of the behaviour of the programming of this now-standard vehicle feature. It is activated by an indication that a trailer is attached, which can be provided by the integrated trailer brake controller - all modern brake controllers test the connection to the trailer so they "know" whether or not one is connected. It's not a big deal to include in the tug, but it would certainly be beneficial for towing.

There are aftermarket systems from AL-KO (for Euro-style mechanical trailer brakes) and from Dexter Axle (Dexter Sway Control for North American style electric trailer brakes) which sit on the trailer and detect sway, then apply the trailer brakes when sway is detected. I didn't know if any of the systems in tow vehicles do this, until the article linked above. Also, the Dexter system applies the trailer brakes on only the desired side, which is fundamentally more effectively, and impossible for anything in the tow vehicle to do (because there is only a single brake control circuit from tug to trailer).
Old 03-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #15

That is one heck of a brake controller that Ford has, not having to reach down and try to manually stop the trailer while going out of control --- it will take care of the TV and trailer braking both. I guess it only works in Fords or I would run out and get one.