new style electric bike - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The most appealing feature of modern electric-assist bikes is the mode in which they add only an assist - not driving on just the motor - so the rider is required to get exercise. Just acting as a multiplier of the rider's capability (plus recovering some energy on braking) it should allow the rider to get more enjoyment and functionality (by going faster and further); because the motor is only doing part of the work, range shouldn't be a big issue for the casual recreational rider. As long as the gain can be adjusted, I would start with relatively little assist, and turn it up only if it looked like I wasn't going to be able to make the planned (or required to get home) distance.

A bicycle - even in an upright "comfort" configuration - doesn't suit everyone, either due to comfort or due to the balance required. A relatively upright recumbent tadpole trike (yes, I know that's a contradiction in terms) with an electric assist seems like an ideal combination to me... but it would be a big and bulky thing to take along on a trip with a trailer.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The most appealing feature of modern electric-assist bikes is the mode in which they add only an assist - not driving on just the motor - so the rider is required to get exercise. Just acting as a multiplier of the rider's capability (plus recovering some energy on braking) it should allow the rider to get more enjoyment and functionality (by going faster and further); because the motor is only doing part of the work, range shouldn't be a big issue for the casual recreational rider. As long as the gain can be adjusted, I would start with relatively little assist, and turn it up only if it looked like I wasn't going to be able to make the planned (or required to get home) distance.

A bicycle - even in an upright "comfort" configuration - doesn't suit everyone, either due to comfort or due to the balance required. A relatively upright recumbent tadpole trike (yes, I know that's a contradiction in terms) with an electric assist seems like an ideal combination to me... but it would be a big and bulky thing to take along on a trip with a trailer.
Brian these little motors are used the same way . As a assist or you can just peddle . Not as much weight added to your bike either . We do peddle but if need engine help it is there . You don't have to sit upright if you don't want to . My mountain bike did not sit upright . I just want to sit upright now so another reason I changed bikes . I get nothing for explaining this but there is a lot of misinformation about this . It is a solution if you can't get a motorbike and would like the help when needed . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian these little motors are used the same way . As a assist or you can just peddle .
Good to know, but I've had enough annoying little gas engines in my life and wouldn't add one to a bicycle. Of course, I suspect that I will soon be at the same stage regarding expensive batteries that last nowhere near their design number of cycles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
You don't have to sit upright if you don't want to .
In my case and my wife's case, upright is preferred. I used to ride a traditional 10-speed road bike, and I never like the hunched-over posture; now that I'm older (although perhaps not old by the standards of these forums) I have even less desire to ride that way.

I don't see anything about the power assistance technology which would limit it to a particular style of bike or trike.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Pat
Quote:
Good to know, but I've had enough annoying little gas engines in my life and wouldn't add one to a bicycle. Of course, I suspect that I will soon be at the same stage regarding expensive batteries that last nowhere near their design number of cycles...

In my case and my wife's case, upright is preferred. I used to ride a traditional 10-speed road bike, and I never like the hunched-over posture; now that I'm older (although perhaps not old by the standards of these forums) I have even less desire to ride that way.

I don't see anything about the power assistance technology which would limit it to a particular style of bike or trike.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #55

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
At 60 lbs each, you could travel with a pair of the e-bikes on the Escapes bike rack. Think for that I could spring for the 1up.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If the motors sound anything like my weed wacker I want nothing to do with them, I seem to like quiet hobbies.
Although not silent my Tomos moped is amazing quiet for a 2 stroke. Every time I use it people comment on how quite it is.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Although not silent my Tomos moped is amazing quiet for a 2 stroke.
2 stroke, oh boy, don't get caught riding it in this part of the woods, you'd probably get lynched. Vancouver wants to be the greenest city in the world and a 2 stroke wouldn't go over all that well with some folks.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #58

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
We noticed as we've traveled east to west, the farther you go the more into being green folks are.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We noticed as we've traveled east to west, the farther you go the more into being green folks are.
That's certainly the image that the west coast province and states seem to like to present. Reality... well that would be a political discussion not for this forum.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #60

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
... well that would be a political discussion not for this forum.
I'll add it to the list.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote