new style electric bike - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Thanks Patandlinda.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Thanks Patandlinda.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I really debated prior to getting a motorized two wheeler. I really liked the efficiency and lack of noise from and electric bike, but we do a lot of dry camping and my concern was range and how to effectively recharge without power.

In the end I purchased a 2 stroke moped, a 2008 Tomos 50cc and 2 speed automatic, made in Slavania, It gets over 100 mpg, weighs less than 100 lbs, top speed of 50 kph and completely street legal. For me this works great.

Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape
You have it all wrong!!!!

This is the way to bike. My wife and I have purchased two of these. We have trouble with the two wheelers. The bikes are Catrikes (built in Florida). They have electric assist for the larger hills!!!
Attached Thumbnails
I phone pics 25 Jun 14 256.jpg  
Nelsonjald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Being a young fellow yet, I prefer a manually powered bike. Good exercise, and lots of fun too.

I have ridden electric assist bikes a few times. They are fun, but there range is limited. Like Ian alluded to, not much good if you boondock a lot either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Being a young fellow yet, I prefer a manually powered bike. Good exercise, and lots of fun too.

I have ridden electric assist bikes a few times. They are fun, but there range is limited. Like Ian alluded to, not much good if you boondock a lot either.
Yeah, that's why I have a low mileage tow vehicle. The trail system for biking and Nordic skiing in Anchorage is world class. I love it here! Scott

Scott & Lori and a dog named Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I wish I could use a pedal bike but my knees are in too bad a shape
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonjald View Post
This is the way to bike. My wife and I have purchased two of these. We have trouble with the two wheelers. The bikes are Catrikes (built in Florida). They have electric assist for the larger hills!!!
Can't use my recumbent now, two-wheel, no electric assist, but a great bike. So nice to have a recumbent.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Yeah, that's why I have a low mileage tow vehicle. The trail system for biking and Nordic skiing in Anchorage is world class. I love it here! Scott

Scott & Lori and a dog named Fritz
I look forward to checking them out when I come up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I really debated prior to getting a motorized two wheeler. I really liked the efficiency and lack of noise from and electric bike, but we do a lot of dry camping and my concern was range and how to effectively recharge without power.

In the end I purchased a 2 stroke moped, a 2008 Tomos 50cc and 2 speed automatic, made in Slavania, It gets over 100 mpg, weighs less than 100 lbs, top speed of 50 kph and completely street legal. For me this works great.

As someone said, "Don't get old." Knees, hips, back.
Slovenia. Bet they use a lot of those over there.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I wish I could use a pedal bike but my knees are in too bad a shape
Ian, that propane cover is a work of art, very nice. Last time I was in Calgary, I flew in and drove to Canmore to meet my wife when she rode in the Trans Rockies race. As long as we get out there camping and enjoying the outdoors it's all good.

Oh, and it just hit me, my Schnauzer's parents are both living in Calgary. Scott

Scott and Lori & Fritz the icy trail schnauzer.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The ebike does not replace my other bikes but it will give me some new options for longer distance commuting during nice weather (I won't have to be totally drained by the time I get into work). Will also allow my wife to accompany me on mountain bike day trips that would otherwise be too long or too strenuous for her. On those trips, it will be me on the conventional bike who is slowest or most tired. I am doing a five day Bikepacking trip next summer through the Rocky Mountain back country where an ebike would definitely be unsuitable, so my conventional my mountain bike is expected to get a lot of use still.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here I am, thinking I'd probably be pushing that Ebike up the mountain after running out of 'gas'.
I carried a pontoon boat 2K from the far end of the lake when a wind came up that I couldn't compete with. Not that easy to do while wearing flippers.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #34

For me, a HUGE part of my retirement plan, is to do so in as good of health as I can, both physically and mentally, so as to enjoy retirement to the fullest capacity possible.

Things like riding a bike are not only fun to do, especially mountain biking on real mountain trails, but are also are a great way to get easy oversize. I know for my wife, and many other people, who may have some nagging physical issues when walking a lot, riding a bike is much easier on their bodies, as it keeps all the joints in line. Of course, this does not work for everyone though.

I have one good friend, 5 years younger than me, who is a huge technology guy, who I worry about. He has a couple electric assist bikes, ATV's, motor boat, etc. He would rather research like crazy and spend money (and he has lots) to find ways to make things easier for him, rather than actually do the work to get them done. I worry for his health, as he has gained a lot of weight, though in the last few months has taken a few strides to improve it.

I say this not at all to take away from those with mobility issues, and things like these electric bikes are a great way to get to do and see things you otherwise couldn't. I have no doubt that at some time, they might be a real consideration for me.

After all, I don't pull my trailer with a team of horses.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've always noticed that there are two types of people, those who use throttles and those who are "self propelled." The ones who use throttles have ATV's, scooters, motor boats, jet skis, etc. Those of us who are "self propelled" have mountain bikes, road bikes, canoes, hiking boots, cross country skis, etc. At 64, I'm glad to be self propelled. An Escape Trailer without an electric hitch is the way I prefer to go! To each his own, as I'm not trying to put others down, just my observations and opinion.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have a good friend in Maryland who is an avid cyclist-- a few years ago he rode his bike from his home near Baltimore to Santa Clara, CA. I bought a nice hybrid bike and started to ride, but I never could get into good enough physical condition to enjoy it; I was always exhausted and miserable. So I guess it's not for everyone.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I've always noticed that there are two types of people, those who use throttles and those who are "self propelled." The ones who use throttles have ATV's, scooters, motor boats, jet skis, etc. Those of us who are "self propelled" have mountain bikes, road bikes, canoes, hiking boots, cross country skis, etc. At 64, I'm glad to be self propelled. An Escape Trailer without an electric hitch is the way I prefer to go! To each his own, as I'm not trying to put others down, just my observations and opinion.
Pretty much the way I see it too, Kevin. I did a couple mountain bike trails with a guy this year who is 64. That bugger kicked my butt, man he was in great shape.

I backcountry ski with a couple other guys, who are now 61 and 64, who can still go hard on multi-day trips, and are hard to keep up with. Dirk (mosquitodirk on here) came with us a few years ago, who is much younger, and can attest to the energy of these two.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I bought a nice hybrid bike and started to ride, but I never could get into good enough physical condition to enjoy it; I was always exhausted and miserable.
Mike, my belief is that you just have to keep trying it. Push your own limits a little bit all the time, but don't overdo it. It is very important to improve your physical condition as much as possible, and maintain it as we age, no matter what that age is.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Mike, my belief is that you just have to keep trying it. Push your own limits a little bit all the time, but don't overdo it. It is very important to improve your physical condition as much as possible, and maintain it as we age, no matter what that age is.
Hi: Jim Bennett... You may find "Mountain Biking" for seniors very challenging. You'll be pushing your limits just getting your "Tricycle" on the paths!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... You may find "Mountain Biking" for seniors very challenging. You'll be pushing your limits just getting your "Tricycle" on the paths!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
LOL... I might just be pushing the tricycle.